Kids on back of motorbikes opinions

Noble Dave

Sorry to be off on a tangent here :offtopic: but a good example of how poor humans are at assessing risk was demonstrated after the Alton Towers Smiler incident.

Loads of people said they were never going to go to a theme park/Alton Towers again, it was just too dangerous. Completely ignoring the fact that the drive to the theme park is so much more dangerous and risky.

Yet still play the lottery!

We went to Alton Towers a while after the accident and found the queue for the smiler was really short, which was great cos it's a cracking ride :mrgreen:

Glad it's worked out for you OP, like others have said check your policy for pillion cover and ensure your little one is clothed in the right kit.

yea and horses dont have brakes :|

I once upset a horsey friend by saying horses should be fitted with an emergency stop mechanism before being allowed on the road. She said 'and how would that work' - I sent back a picture of a Glock 17. :lol:

Apparently this was not cool.

Sorry to be off on a tangent here :offtopic: but a good example of how poor humans are at assessing risk was demonstrated after the Alton Towers Smiler incident.

Loads of people said they were never going to go to a theme park/Alton Towers again, it was just too dangerous. Completely ignoring the fact that the drive to the theme park is so much more dangerous and risky.

Apart from the risk of massive coronary brought on by the price of the f*cking ticket, of course. :D

Clubcard vouchers

Apart from the risk of massive coronary brought on by the price of the f*cking ticket, of course. :D

Clubcard vouchers

Much like pizza, if you ever play full price you've been mugged! :D So many vouchers about.

Ive taken my daughter on the back of a 1969 vespa scooter from the age of 5 for short trips around the close and since she got older on the back of my v7 guzzi for the DGR and May day runs. She loves it and doesn't ever want me to sell any bike as she thinks she'll never be able to go on the back of one again. My wife is terrified of the idea of her being on the back but accepts that she has a choice, enjoys it and wears all the right protective gear. Id take her out on it anyway regardless of what my wife thought. Shes my daughter too and i wouldn't put her in a dangerous situation or ride in a manner that could be deemed dangerous with her on the back.

I have just got an MV dragster rc which i wont take her out on but the guzzi or slower less mental machines i dont have an issue with. She is desperate to get her own bike or scooter as soon as she is old enough. She thinks ill give her one of my bikes :lol: :lol: :lol: whens shes old enough. Good luck with that. Ill buy her her own one.

If more kids rode on the back of bikes, when they got older theyd look out for them as drivers.

My mum was hugely anti motorbike, they’re dangerous etc......

Strangely enough, I had all this to contend with.. .... and 40-odd years later, I realised she was right..... :roll:

A lot of years ago when I was still at school a lot of the mates had sports mopeds so I told my parents that I was thinking of getting one and then the arguments started my dads argument was that when he had a bike in the 60's there wasn't as much traffic on the road, anyway we had an argument every night and I finally wore them down and I was allowed to get one (a spon new fs1e in baja brown) and we brought it home from the bike shop in the back of my dads land rover(I was still waiting for my provisional licence to arrive) and after all those rows about it guess who wanted the first ride on it :?: :lol: :lol:

Edited by skyrider

My kids, although too young at the moment, are desperate to have a shot riding pillion. The Mrs and I have agreed that once they're old enough to touch the footpegs and can be trusted to listen to instructions/hold on tight/not lean all over the place , that they can start getting little runs around our town (20mph limit mainly, some 30 zones). They'll have a full complement of gear though, helmet, gloves, leathers/jacket and trousers plus boots. I've had a couple of offs at low and high speed, both times my gear has stopped me getting any injuries so there's no compromise on the kids wearing it.

My mum was hugely anti motorbike, they’re dangerous etc......

Strangely enough, I had all this to contend with.. .... and 40-odd years later, I realised she was right..... :roll:

You saying you're hanging up your helmet?

Nope. It will take a bit more than that....

Guest Richzx6r

Just taken me Daughter out for first time, she loved it so much said she didnt want to stop and how amazing and fun it was! Think just made a future biker of her haha

Hopefully she gets to enjoy many happy miles riding

Just taken me Daughter out for first time, she loved it so much said she didnt want to stop and how amazing and fun it was! Think just made a future biker of her haha

Hoggfather took me out as soon as I could touch the pegs, was loads of fun :D

Glad they're enjoying it!

I often took our daughters on the pillion. They loved it and felt safe with dad so they were total naturals when it came to leaning into bends. Then I took my wife out and that was a total disaster, she fought it every bend. I remember belting along and couldn’t remember if one of the girls was on the back or not. I couldn’t see her as she was so small, so I just touched the brakes and the thump on my back said she was there alright.

I often took our daughters on the pillion. They loved it and felt safe with dad so they were total naturals when it came to leaning into bends. Then I took my wife out and that was a total disaster, she fought it every bend. I remember belting along and couldn’t remember if one of the girls was on the back or not. I couldn’t see her as she was so small, so I just touched the brakes and the thump on my back said she was there alright.

if she leaned the wrong way going into bends (tried to componsate) the bike would feel like riding a gyroscope :|

• 1 month later...
Guest Richzx6r

My wife keeps saying that when(if) we have kids they arent going on the back of the bike until they are at least 16...its too dangerous she says.....yet i have trouble getting out on the bike on my own if shes home :scratch: how does that work

Just taken me Daughter on her first 100 mile trip, a roads and motorway, she absolutely loved it so got a future biker on my hands now. 😁👍

You're a better man than me 'Noble Dave', I refused to take my 2 kids (both girls) on the back of my bikes when they were young. They consequently grew up with no interest in riding motorcycles . And you know what, I was happy with that.

My kids love riding on the back of mine . If been letting them ride my wife's 125 (there 14 16 and 18) my son who's 16 told me If he does well in his exams when he leaves school he wants a motorbike he told me this about 2 years ago I said NO PROBLEM now its getting closer to him leaving 2 weeks left then exams start . I'm now thinking crap I got to buy another motorbike it was a good idea at 1st .

He said he don't want a scooter he want a motorbike which at 16 it have to be a 50cc . Me and the Mrs have started to drop hints wait till your 17 then get a 125 ..

Seen the prices for 50cc bikes .