Warm up before oil change. What's with that?

Pbassred

I see a lot of videos where they say to warm up the bike before draining the oil. I don't get it. It makes the oil drain out quicker? yes, but not much. lets the dirt fall down quicker? if its a cold bike, its already at the bottom. If I start the bike it all goes to the top again. so....... :scratch:

Guest Richzx6r

It's so the crud is suspended in the oil which gets it out of the engine otherwise most of it will just sit underneath the oil in the sump

I wonder how long it will take for the micro particles that are so small they can flow through an oil filter unimpeded, to settle out? Days? Months? Years? Decades?

There is only one main reason for warming up the engine, to reduce the oils viscosity somewhat and allow it to flow more readily off the metal. so the maximum amount of oil exits the drain hole(s) in the minimum of time.

if you don't want to warm up the engine, then don't warm up the engine. :thumb:

You just do ok . That's the way things have always been and that's the way things are . Do not question the sacred rituals of your forefathers.

Guest Richzx6r

You just do ok . That's the way things have always been and that's the way things are . Do not question the sacred rituals of your forefathers.

Enough said there bob

You are all wrong.

It’s to allow time for a cup of tea and a biscuit before you get your hands dirty. :lol:

Post #7 is probably a bit early to elevate a thread into the realm of biscuits .... But the other day a work colleague brought in a big bag of Poundland "Jaffa Cakes " As well as being misshapen , they were also crunchy ! I did my best to enjoy them but after about five I gave up . What was the woman thinking ?

You are all wrong.

It’s to allow time for a cup of tea and a biscuit before you get your hands dirty. :lol:

Post #7 is probably a bit early to elevate a thread into the realm of biscuits .... But the other day a work colleague brought in a big bag of Poundland "Jaffa Cakes " As well as being misshapen , they were also crunchy ! I did my best to enjoy them but after about five I gave up . What was the woman thinking ?

Well put it like this - if a lady plies you with misshapen aftermarket Jaffa Cakes that have gone stale you need have no fear that she has designs upon your person.

You are all wrong.

Well put it like this - if a lady plies you with misshapen aftermarket Jaffa Cakes that have gone stale you need have no fear that she has designs upon your person.

yes that sounds about right :P

What does snod say about it

Little old me?? I reckon a bit of agitation just beforehand, along with making it thinner, all sounds like a good idea when you want to drain it out the bottom. It's not exactly a hardship is it?

It's so it's runs out quicker as my oil is 5/30 so it will drip 5 times cold and 30 times warm so to get the oil out quicker warm it up .. not to warm as the oil filter is right behind the exhaust pipes ( are all oil filiters in the same place ????) So if you leave it to long running your burn you hands arms taken the oil filter off .. .

Ps that's is right how the oil thing works hot cold dips right if I'm wrong let me know cheers

I see a lot of videos where they say to warm up the bike before draining the oil. I don't get it. It makes the oil drain out quicker? yes, but not much. lets the dirt fall down quicker? if its a cold bike, its already at the bottom. If I start the bike it all goes to the top again. so....... :scratch:

If you fear you have dirt in your oil, the 5 minutes it's mixing around when warming up isn't going to make any difference, it's the miles and miles when your riding that's going to be the problem. Also that's what an oil filters for :?

You are all wrong.

Sounds like fore play to me ...

Doesn't need a few months.. just an hour or so from cold. or 5 minutes or so from hot. On a few odd occasions, due to circumstances, I've let the bike drain overnight from cold which achieved the same result: as much of the old oil out as possible.