Aprillia garden find .

Guest Richzx6r

Ok clever people, what does this little screen do ? The buttons say M,L, and S . :scratch: oh it's not a lap timer is it ?

I'm not 100% sure but its probably to do with lap times or something

Guest Richzx6r

I'm now thinking about buying a new frame for jigsaw so I can use as a track bike it's too good to break up

Though @Hoggs I will be getting the parts of for you!!!

haha if you want to keep them for track bike it's fine by me :cheers:

Its not a problem Sam, the parts you want aren't used on a track bike

@fastbob there's a few Lucky Strike Suzukis kicking around on the road and for sale so reckon no issue!

Have Woodbine ever sponsored anything ?

Ok clever people, what does this little screen do ? The buttons say M,L, and S . :scratch: oh it's not a lap timer is it ?

I'm not 100% sure but its probably to do with lap times or something

We'll find out when I wake it up with some electricity.

@fastbob there's a few Lucky Strike Suzukis kicking around on the road and for sale so reckon no issue!

Have Woodbine ever sponsored anything ?

possibly horse racing based on a 5 second Google :lol:

Great find but I'd make sure you get the V5 or some receipt from the owner before doing too much.

If the tank is the same as the 250 they are plastic and swell up with modern unleaded.

Barrel is nicasil plated and not cheap to refurbish, check it out carefully if you intend the keep it.

Great find but I'd make sure you get the V5 or some receipt from the owner before doing too much.

If the tank is the same as the 250 they are plastic and swell up with modern unleaded.

Barrel is nicasil plated and not cheap to refurbish, check it out carefully if you intend the keep it.

Nicasil barrel , yes I've heard of this . So what do you reckon the bore is going to look like after ten years in a blackberry bush ?

Nicasil barrel , yes I've heard of this . So what do you reckon the bore is going to look like after ten years in a blackberry bush ?

It might be ok, just stuck because of time.

As Joe says pour some oil down the plug hole and see if it turns.

What might not have survived are the main and big end bearings and the crank seals have hardened.

If you are going to keep it, I'd recommend stripping the engine down for an inspection.

Do you why it was parked up?Could have engine damage already.

It might be ok, just stuck because of time.

As Joe says pour some oil down the plug hole and see if it turns.

What might not have survived are the main and big end bearings and the crank seals have hardened.

If you are going to keep it, I'd recommend stripping the engine down for an inspection.

Do you why it was parked up?Could have engine damage already.

From what I can gather , it was parked at the neighbor's house due to ill health and possibly to conceal it from the bailiffs although that's just speculation. I've spoken directly to the owner by phone who in turn spoke to the neighbor to confirm that I could remove it . So the optimist in me says that there might be nothing wrong with it . Apparently , many people have spotted it over the years and the neighbor was fed up with people knocking on his door . He had long since given up trying to contact the owner and had presumed that he was dead . He gave me his number and I got lucky , probably because he didn't recognize my number . Anyway I'm off to pull the plastics off and have a look what lies beneath.

Well it's got an engine . First impressions are that this thing is a very complicated machine . There are gizmos and sensors everywhere . The battery made me smile , that's ten years worth of blackberry seeds ! There's are a lot of electrical bodges with insulating tape all over the place. IMG_20190420_104734328.thumb.jpg.b8ca48851586aca4e90cb9391d899ddc.jpg

IMG_20190420_104652821_HDR.thumb.jpg.e111dee6f0b395574ea2eb7999c9e0d8.jpg

IMG_20190420_104714800_HDR.thumb.jpg.c2ce7b245f12fc4f18de1efb557ab1d1.jpg

F*****g hell ! I've just taken the plug out and removed the plastic alternator cover and I can turn the engine with the lightest of finger pressure. The plug was still slightly oily so I assume the bore is similarly coated . There's no scraping or resistance at all and when I put my thumb over the spark plug hole I can feel compression. Happy days . My garden find has just gone up in value .

F*****g hell ! I've just taken the plug out and removed the plastic alternator cover and I can turn the engine with the lightest of finger pressure. The plug was still slightly oily so I assume the bore is similarly coated . There's no scraping or resistance at all and when I put my thumb over the spark plug hole I can feel compression. Happy days . My garden find has just gone up in value .

Ok, £150 then, but that’s my final offer 😛

Ok, £150 then, but that’s my final offer 😛

150 and a packet of custard creams

Fire it up.

I am tempted to work towards that goal but only with a view to getting much more for it when I sell it . Other than a few litres of petrol and a battery I do not intend to spend anything other than my time on this thing .

Ok , tank off and drained the petrol . No muck or water in the petrol but look at the colour. My first thought is that someone has put two-stroke in the tank because the oil feed system has failed . I deliberately spilt some petrol on the pavement to see what remained after it evaporated and there appears to be nothing . Maybe that's what 10 year old petrol looks like . ( I wonder if it will burn ? ) Next job , see what's in the radiator , strip the carb , and then fettle it to the point where I can fire it up . It's all good fun .

IMG_20190420_131136521_HDR.thumb.jpg.7b64ff14d39aa47df9596d06076a0209.jpg

IMG_20190420_131513113_HDR.thumb.jpg.207163c17f1d3df866f74a2013d30c0f.jpg

Well this is a very pleasant surprise. Crystal clear blue coolant with no oil in it . This bike is the gift that keeps on giving so far . 😊

IMG_20190420_140410677.thumb.jpg.6347d32c618aa3717c3b27603db6c774.jpg

Does look like two stroke oil in the petrol. Dip a finger in and rub it with your thumb. It will feel oily if it's got two stroke in.

Doesn't feel oily , I chucked another load on the warm pavement and it evaporated without any residual trace of oil . Purely in the interest of science I set fire to some and it burned really well . Starting the odd fire is useful for keeping the curtain twitchers at arms length. They already think I'm mad for taking bikes to pieces so anything to maintain the illusion that I'm not right in the head can only be a useful thing. 🤪