Aprillia garden find .

I've got the carb off . There's nothing too horrible inside . It was dry rather than wet but I can't see any issues . So I'm on track to fire it up within a week .

I've got the carb off . There's nothing too horrible inside . It was dry rather than wet but I can't see any issues . So I'm on track to fire it up within a week .

A week, we can't be wanting that long.

I'll do my best . 😉

Guest Richzx6r

Ok , tank off and drained the petrol . No muck or water in the petrol but look at the colour. My first thought is that someone has put two-stroke in the tank because the oil feed system has failed . I deliberately spilt some petrol on the pavement to see what remained after it evaporated and there appears to be nothing . Maybe that's what 10 year old petrol looks like . ( I wonder if it will burn ? ) Next job , see what's in the radiator , strip the carb , and then fettle it to the point where I can fire it up . It's all good fun .

Definitely looks like 2stroke in it

could be redex in the fuel. my fuel goes that colour when I add redex to it

I just think that this is what happens to petrol if it's left for ten years in a plastic tank . Maybe there was originally a couple of gallons in there and over the years evaporation has concentrated whatever gives petrol it's colour . What you see in the pic is all that came out of it . Who knows ?

I think you should try it now.....

If it was a simpler bike I probably would have done by now but there are a lot of extra things to check such as the oil feed system and , as I have just discovered , the RAVE valve system . I also haven't got an air filter on it yet because the one in it had turned to mush . I think I might have a look at the starter motor next . I don't want to bugger this thing up by rushing it .

Guest Richzx6r

I think you should try it now.....

If it was a simpler bike I probably would have done by now but there are a lot of extra things to check such as the oil feed system and , as I have just discovered , the RAVE valve system . I also haven't got an air filter on it yet because the one in it had turned to mush . I think I might have a look at the starter motor next . I don't want to bugger this thing up by rushing it .

That's fair enough mate, I'd be the same

Did you get any paperwork with it bob ?

I think I can figure out how it works without the instructions 🤔 As for the V5 , errr that's a work in progress.

Guest Richzx6r

I think I can figure out how it works without the instructions 🤔 As for the V5 , errr that's a work in progress.

2strokes are fairly easy to work on

2strokes are fairly easy to work on

In terms of no valves , camchain etc I agree . In terms of electric power valves , oil pumps and regulators I'm on a bit of a learning curve. I definitely think I'll strip out the power valve , that's bound to be shitted up after ten years outdoors .

Don't be affraid of the rave valve. They are very simple.

Cable operated valve that just raises the height of the exhaust port at certain RPM.

To restrict the bike to 12bhp you can disconnect the power to the solenoid. With the solenoid connected and working you get about 32bhp.

So even if it's not wired up you are fine to start the bike.

Unless the sliding valve has slipped off the end of the cable and dropped into the cylinder.. but it won't turn over if that's happened .

Cable operated valve that just raises the height of the exhaust port at certain RPM.

To restrict the bike to 12bhp you can disconnect the power to the solenoid. With the solenoid connected and working you get about 32bhp.

Unless the sliding valve has slipped off the end of the cable and dropped into the cylinder.. but it won't turn over if that's happened .

32 horse power , f**k me ! it hardly weighs anything . What market was this thing aimed at ? Cheers for the advice , have you owned one of these ?

32 horse power , f**k me ! it hardly weighs anything . What market was this thing aimed at ? Cheers for the advice , have you owned one of these ?

126kgs dry according to the net.

You want to try my RGV, reported to be 62hp and 139kgs :thumb:

I had the previous model the Aprilia AF1 when I was 17. I took it apart many times. I regularly blew pistons 😂

Fixed the RAVE valve and solenoid . Valve was gummed up and the solenoid was rock solid . Not any more , a going over with a wire brush sorted the valve and a good tap with a hammer fixed the slug in the solenoid . I put some power through to test it and it snaps open instantly . Next job will be to hot wire it without frying anything .

Ha! Two minutes with a wire brush and it's clicking like a good'un . Not only that , the starter motor spins the engine ! Well I'd better siphon a bit of petrol out of the ER then.