Bikes with indicators left on.

Smithers

I know you've had a recent thread on this subject https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68453&hilit=slf+cancelling+indicators

Down my neck of the woods I'm increasingly noticing bikes with their indicator left on. I don't need to teach granny to suck eggs, but this is really dangerous. A lot of car drivers seem to have lost the ability to 2nd guess what's going on the road, and they take at face value that if a bike is signalling to make a turn it's ok to pull straight out on them.

I always make a best effort to warn the biker, either by hand gesture or putting my indicators on. Usually it works and they turn them off.

Is there something inherently wrong with the indicator systems (not included automatic) that doesn't give enough warning to the rider or is it just plain forgetfulness? We all do it, myself included at times. Biking is a risky form of transport and it is up to us to manage that risk. Perhaps a complete dashboard blackout with just a flashing coloured light when the indicators are on? That wouldn't a difficult fix for the manufacturers to do.

Your thoughts on this.

The biggest issue for me is that I think I have turned the indicators off, but I can't have quite pushed the button enough and the indicator stays on. The warning light is out of my peripheral vision and what with no warning sound, i ride on blissfully unaware. My solution would be an audible warning after say 5 flashes as standard. I don't do it enough to warrant getting some sort of after market warning fitted and the ones I have heard sound awful.

I did exactly this on the R1 yesterday, made a left turn then approaching another left 100yds on frowned at a car driver who pulled out on me.

Followed her for a bit and she put her indicators on quickly and then realised I'd left mine on, :roll:

My fault entirely but have to say the "idiot"light on the dash is out of eye line, blocked out by the helmet chin guard and the light is not that large either.

Thinking about putting an additional warning light on top of the dash in my view

Cancelling your indicators is the same a changing down to first gear - just bang it a few times to be sure.

Then after the turn when you're settled into a bit of straight road, push the indicator again for good measure.

Always thought it's stupid that the indicator light on the dash flashes because if you look down between flashes you get the wrong answer. It should be a solid light on the dash not a flashing light.

There appears to be a myriad of aftermarket devices to cancel / audibly warn you about indicators being left on. Don't you think that manufacturers should be doing more to make this a standard when buying their very expensive machines. The only manufacturer I know of that does this, is Harley Davidson. Probably a few others do but only on selective bikes.

When i did my CBT, the other lad that was with us, kept getting told by the instructor to switch off his indicator, but as i was in front quite a lot i was always pressing mine just in case it was still on, and i was doing that on my own rides, after turning, press it a few times just to be sure,

I do the mashing the indicator button a few times after turning thing. However on the BMW I notice the indicators self cancel after a period of time! :shock: There is a roundabout with lights on it that I frequently get stuck on for long enough that the indicators go off.

The biggest issue for me is that I think I have turned the indicators off, but I can't have quite pushed the button enough and the indicator stays on.

I've done this. Also having small hands Ive done the opposite where Ive reached for the indicator whilst playing with the clutch, meaning my hand is totally outstretched, and ive missed the indicator slightly! Fortunately my road position or lane has meant Ive got away with that one. I do always do a slight glance down to check the actual indicator or for the green flashes on my dash to make sure now though!

I only made the mistake of leaving indicators on once - a van pulled out in front. I went to do a hand gesture but realised it was my fault really :P

If I spot a rider doing it i put my arm out and move my fingers like they are flashing, it seems pretty universal to make people check their indicators! :)

The biggest issue for me is that I think I have turned the indicators off, but I can't have quite pushed the button enough and the indicator stays on.

I've done this. Also having small hands Ive done the opposite where Ive reached for the indicator whilst playing with the clutch, meaning my hand is totally outstretched, and ive missed the indicator slightly! Fortunately my road position or lane has meant Ive got away with that one. I do always do a slight glance down to check the actual indicator or for the green flashes on my dash to make sure now though!

I only made the mistake of leaving indicators on once - a van pulled out in front. I went to do a hand gesture but realised it was my fault really :P

If I spot a rider doing it i put my arm out and move my fingers like they are flashing, it seems pretty universal to make people check their indicators! :)

Agreed with arm and finger tip gesture.

There are some very experienced riders on this forum and I would be willing to bet that not one of them has not had a forgetful moment and left indicators on. (or is there)? :X:

It was my worst habit as a new rider! My first few rides I had to think really hard about it (guess id got too used to it turning off automatically in a car), at least now it comes as second nature but i know there will be times in the future i forget.

Guest Richzx6r

Agreed with arm and finger tip gesture.

There are some very experienced riders on this forum and I would be willing to bet that not one of them has not had a forgetful moment and left indicators on. (or is there)? :X:

Iv definitely left mine on on more than a few occasions which is the reason I started double pressing it to cancel them but we are all only human and definitely not infallible

Cancelling your indicators is the same a changing down to first gear - just bang it a few times to be sure.

Then after the turn when you're settled into a bit of straight road, push the indicator again for good measure.

Yep this is what i always do. I also push it again when approaching junction just in case.

There appears to be a myriad of aftermarket devices to cancel / audibly warn you about indicators being left on. Don't you think that manufacturers should be doing more to make this a standard when buying their very expensive machines. The only manufacturer I know of that does this, is Harley Davidson. Probably a few others do but only on selective bikes.

My BMW K100 has self cancelling indicators, they cancel after some certain distance at low speed and after a longer distance at higher speed (I can't remember the specifics). This is more often than not really annoying as it'll often cancel them while going round a large junction, yet if I forget to cancel them then they still seem to go on for far too long! If I'm sat in a line of traffic waiting to turn off it'll also usually have a go at cancelling them, I end up paranoid and keep pressing it to make sure they keep blinking.

Not as good as it sounds, self cancelling :roll:

My step dad is a bugger for this haha, im pretty good, i very rarely forget to turn mine off, my problem is hitting the horn and not the indicators lol

My old bike had the left indicator switch on the left grip and the right switch on the right grip. They were self-cancelling, which took a bit of getting used to, but the one on the right grip was exactly the same as the kill switch just above it. Much excitement when changing lanes on a busy German roundabout in rush-hour...

:eek2:

I've had to completely relearn how to use the indicators. Ive not had 'japanese style' switches since 1996!!

I've only had one near mishap in the early days.. for a split second I forgot what I was riding and instead of indicating left, I dropped a gear. which made me laugh out loud.

Obviously, I missed the turning.

The Africa Twin has a very clever self cancelling system which works really well... but more often than not I cancel the indicators before the computer does. its that 'ingrained'. its as automatic for me as putting down the side stand before getting off. Or taking out the ignition key before walking away. if you make it a deliberate act you soon reach the point where it happens without even thinking.

I'm afraid that I'm guilty of forgetting to cancel at least once every ride . No real excuse when I've got green repeaters either side of the clocks but I've always thought that if the repeaters were orange they would grab my attention more effectively .

Wouldn't it be a good idea if you could actually see your indicators flashing ? I remember having one bike where you could do just that . It was my old MZ TS 125 . There was a protruding flange on the front lenses that illuminated by refraction . Here's a pic from eBay that shows them off a treat . Simple but effective .

PhotoEditor_20190424_200050646.thumb.jpg.831d77027a541ea59b8019f9d30f179d.jpg