lots of Harleys

fastbob

Does anybody know of any second hand bike showrooms, excluding official Harley dealers , where I can see the maximum amount of used Harleys in one place. Preferably within 100 miles of Coventry. I fancy a ride at the weekend and I'm aiming to buy a Harley this year so all suggestions are welcome.

Does anybody know of any second hand bike showrooms, excluding official Harley dealers , where I can see the maximum amount of used Harleys in one place. Preferably within 100 miles of Coventry. I fancy a ride at the weekend and I'm aiming to buy a Harley this year so all suggestions are welcome.

Your gonna become a reverse vampire and only come out on very sunny days?

What do you fancy ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-41035766

Although thats last years, it gets bigger every year, if you dont have one sorted by august bank holiday weekend, you could pop up, always bikes for sale and definitely the biggest collection of HD's you will find in the uk, good weekend of drink and music and lots of other bikes too.

Fastbob, sorry I know of only one and its a dealership where my old workmate's son is the service manager. Its at Uppingham in Rutland and will be a gteat rideout from Coventry for you (under 50 miles). You get free tea and coffee too just take some sandwiches and enjoy. Theres a great crowd of friendly riders congregate there. I used to turn up for free tea on my Bonnie and make fun of them! Heres a link

http://www.sycamorehd.co.uk

Fastbob, sorry I know of only one and its a dealership where my old workmate's son is the service manager. Its at Uppingham in Rutland and will be a gteat rideout from Coventry for you (under 50 miles). You get free tea and coffee too just take some sandwiches and enjoy. Theres a great crowd of friendly riders congregate there. I used to turn up for free tea on my Bonnie and make fun of them! Heres a link

http://www.sycamorehd.co.uk

Thanks for that but I'm trying to avoid HD dealerships because they only seem to sell nearly new pristine bikes that are outside my projected budget. I've been to Wolverhampton HD and they were extremely welcoming despite me making it very clear that i was looking for an older model . Many of the bikes in HD dealerships look so " Bling " that I don't know how people dare ride them .

Edited by fastbob

What do you fancy ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-41035766

Although thats last years, it gets bigger every year, if you dont have one sorted by august bank holiday weekend, you could pop up, always bikes for sale and definitely the biggest collection of HD's you will find in the uk, good weekend of drink and music and lots of other bikes too.

What do I fancy ? I know exactly what i want . I want a 2004 -2006 XL 1200 R . I've been researching this for some time and I have settled on this model because its got the first rubber mounted engine , everything is powder coated , twin discs, mid controls , race cams , a carburetor, no fuel pump, belt drive and many low mileage examples fall into my price range ( £5000 )

th7Q3V2Q0U.thumb.jpg.a90679d4784f1ada9cc83e1cd043ed54.jpg

Had a word with a mate of mine who is a total harley nut! he said he is unaware of anywhere that you are after!

He said just keep an eye out on ebay and sent me this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Harley-Davidson-XL1200R-SPORTSTER-1200-Roadster-Low-Miles-/323111576755

Thanks Stu, I almost certainly will be buying from Gumtree , I just fancied looking at lots of used Harleys this weekend without the corporate hype and boutique atmosphere of an official HD dealership. These places are pretty much standardised so if you've seen one you've seen them all and as I say , they only deal in nearly new buybacks and I don't particularly like any of the current models anyway. As I have also mentioned in another post, I have no interest in the HD culture, I just want a bike that's as different to a GSXR as you can get .

[What do I fancy ? I know exactly what i want . I want a 2004 -2006 XL 1200 R . I've been researching this for some time and I have settled on this model because its got the first rubber mounted engine , everything is powder coated , twin discs, mid controls , race cams , a carburetor, no fuel pump, belt drive and many low mileage examples fall into my price range ( £5000 )

I had the Harley itch last year and after much research settled on exactly the same bike you did.

In the end though I just couldn't do it. £5k was just too much for what would have been a second bike. Bought a bargain basement SV650N instead (well its a V twin).

Not sure if there within 100 miles of Coventry but Maverick Motorcycles in Croydon and Eastern Cruisers in sunny Southend usually have a fair few Sportsters in stock. I also joined the HD forum and one or two did come up for sale there. Also the main HD dealers do occasionally get an older bike in so its worth scouring the net.

Your gonna become a reverse vampire and only come out on very sunny days?

No , I'm going to get a 2004 1200 sportster with the minimum of chrome and powder coated engine and forks and I'm going to ride it as an ordinary motorbike.

Strangely enough I just inherited exactly £5,000 and since Bretton Motorcycles is where I get my MOT done (which is due soon) I was beginning to feel strange urges towards the dark side of the force.

Don't be tempted by any Sportster pre 2004 , the vibrations kill the fun .Here's a good example of what you can get ( thanks Stu )

wp_ss_20180322_0002.thumb.png.92bb0342123122e5cfa5d6bc15d240bc.png

• 1 year later...

Well it took me a year longer than expected but I have achieved EXACTLY what I set out to achieve. A 2004 XL1200 Roadster in my favourite colour. I pick this up on Saturday. Don't worry, the exhaust wrap is coming off as soon as I get it home . All I need to do is replace the forward controls with some mid controls and I have the perfect Harley.

PhotoEditor_20190414_082500380.thumb.jpg.d16a3e2ebf567a83d3f5027a48f9ff6e.jpg

PhotoEditor_20190414_082053895.thumb.jpg.239833767e500c65af5142cc52880eee.jpg

Don't be a slave to the cleaning when you get one. I nearly did and found I was cleaning it as much as riding it. That's one (of many) reasons I moved on from HD. Been there, done it, got the T-shirt and won't be going back. I hope you find a good one fastbob, you're almost certain to as Harleys don't seem to put on many miles in this country?

Don't be a slave to the cleaning when you get one. I nearly did and found I was cleaning it as much as riding it. That's one (of many) reasons I moved on from HD. Been there, done it, got the T-shirt and won't be going back. I hope you find a good one fastbob, you're almost certain to as Harleys don't seem to put on many miles in this country?

I'm actually buying the one in the picture , 16000 miles . What model did you have by the way ?

I'm actually buying the one in the picture , 16000 miles . What model did you have by the way ?

I had two, the 1200 custom Sportster and the Street Bob. The street bob had a fabulous 1584cc engine, I bought it new and sold it at 4K miles. The cleaning and the single disc front brake done me in the end. :(

Glorious mate! Looks superb, probs sounds amazing, absolute pig to ride I'm sure but it's cool AF!

It's not a pig , it's a HOG man . I'll let you know when I've ridden it home from Portsmouth to Coventry . 😉

Looks very nice .. . One thing you said the exhausts wraps comming off so as your home . Could they be there for a reason ???? Like stop you melting your leg or boots on the hot exhaust????? . .do you plan to grow a foot long mostach and ignore every one . Hellooo :wave: :wave: lol

Glorious mate! Looks superb, probs sounds amazing, absolute pig to ride I'm sure but it's cool AF!

It's not a pig , it's a HOG man . I'll let you know when I've ridden it home from Portsmouth to Coventry . 😉

Of course you will be riding straight to ‘Glamorous’ - Cov’s equivalent of the Blue Oyster Bar 😂

You might have to change your user name to ‘Notquitesofastbob’

At least it being an XR1200 you won’t need to change your name to ‘Fatbob’

In all fairness it looks a good buy, hope you haven’t got a brand new Screaming Eagle catalogue... it would cost you £££

Think that’s got most of the stereotypes covered 😂

Forgot to say ....

Malec Leather just off Torrington Ave is the place to go for your ass-less chaps- that’s where I get all my fetish gear 👍

Of course you will be riding straight to ‘Glamorous’ - Cov’s equivalent of the Blue Oyster Bar 😂

You might have to change your user name to ‘Notquitesofastbob’

At least it being an XR1200 you won’t need to change your name to ‘Fatbob’

In all fairness it looks a good buy, hope you haven’t got a brand new Screaming Eagle catalogue... it would cost you £££

Think that’s got most of the stereotypes covered 😂

No , in fact I'm going to go the opposite way and return it to stock , sorry , standard appearance😁 which is easy because you just buy the bits that other people take off . So I will hopefully be able to sell the forward controls to pay for the mid controls. The heat shields are included in the sale so they will go on as soon as the sacking comes of the headers , sorry , downpipes . I've already got the seller to put the mirrors back the right way round and right way up . I might leave the custom filter on for a while but eventually I'll fit an original one .