soft link broke when replacing chain and sprockets

Fidgetgreen

Hi!

I did some maintenance on my kawa er6f yesterday. I replaced the chain and sprockets as the chain wear was really uneven even thought the bike has only done 2500 miles.

When riveting on the soft link, one of them cracked. I wasn't able to replace them straight away as I only had one in the pack. I plan to change this soon but can I ride this in the meantime or is it a definite no until i get a new soft link? Also, do you think I can take this to a mechanic for them to just replace the link? I'm a bit worried about doing it again and the same thing happening.

Thanks,

S

Guest Richzx6r

I'd say not to ride it in current condition as it could snap it as any second and that's bloody dangerous as could do more damage than just the soft links if it did go so I'd get some more soft links and have another go

I'm convinced a lot of chain and sprocket wear is down to accuracy of rear wheel alignment. How often do check your wheel alignment and how? (open question).

That's a really good point/question.

I've always done it by eye (tape pencil on either side of the swingarm to be not quite touching the wheelrim then spin the back wheel) after setting the chain length using the markers on the swingarm. Of course, this method only works if frame, swingarm and back wheel are all true, and hub/wheel bearings and swingarm bearings in good order. But it's always been ok for me.

And of course you need centre stand or paddock stand to do it safely.

I've known loads of people who only recommend the long string around the front wheel method, but seems like a lot of faffing to me.

Guest Richzx6r

The thing with the Mark's on swingarm how accurate are they, it does look like they have a lot of margin for error so there must be a better less faffy way of getting the rear wheel alignment bang on

I'm convinced a lot of chain and sprocket wear is down to accuracy of rear wheel alignment. How often do check your wheel alignment and how? (open question).

I thought (was told why mine was streched .chain .) Was When i slow down i use the gears to help me slow down as well as brakes .. X lorry driver so i use the engine to slow down as well as brakes . So i just do the same on the bike

say approaching a round about.... brakes ..change down gear more brakes clear to go off brakes you change up .... So if been told that doing that stretches my chain and damaging the sprocket was chain stretched and not fitting on the cog/teeth right ..

The thing with the Mark's on swingarm how accurate are they, it does look like they have a lot of margin for error so there must be a better less faffy way of getting the rear wheel alignment bang on

Yep, I agree about the swingarm marks - that's why double check by eye, spinning the wheel afterwards. It only takes a few extra minutes.

If there is a chance the chain could snap, don't ride it. A snapped chain makes a real mess of a bike and can easily lock the rear wheel (mid corner) sending you sliding into incoming traffic..

Stretched chains are actually a myth. Yes they get longer but nothing stretches.

chainwear.jpg.3ff0de583669e2bc26ff06c259ac17d4.jpg

Measure rear wheel alignment from the swing arm pivot.

Easy enough to knock up a bit of wood with a bolt in one end for the swing arm pivot and marks the other end for the axle bolt.

Usage.thumb.jpg.6761aebf0eca765c97070fd2f3e03c81.jpg

Thanks for all the responses, I'll look at getting it fixed asap.

When we were riveting one of the links, I think we put a bit too much pressure on it. This isn't my chain but this is similar to what my link looks like (the one on the right)[618606465_DRSpart_ADV20Posts_ChainRivetAttempt.thumb.jpg.ca7486e91e27e71f8d4042951bb42b3e.jpgimg][

Not sure if you can see but there is a crack on the link on the right.

I'll also look at my wheel alignment as well.

If you know of a mechanic man willing to do it not too far away I'd ride it there, gently like. Though without an actual picture it's hard to tell. But I did ride my own bike with an unrivited link about 10 mile or something to the man. I was Mr Gentle and Mr Smooth and went horribly slowly but I survived so you might as well. If the wheel is aligned then you might be OK to tootle off, but of course caveat equitem