Hi all

I'm considering getting Datatag on top of the usual security as over the summer I'll be parking and leaving the bike for quite long in city centres. Do you reckon it's an effective deterrent or is the cost better spent on more physical measures (I've got a decent alarmed disc lock)?

Ta very much

Datatag is not a deterrent. At best it may mean if the bike is found it can be identified. But, it has to be found or identified as stolen first. My bike came with it.. And it's something the insurers like to see, it may also add value when you come to sell. But, don't trust it as a deterrent.

Africa twins are being stolen. Posted on FB and elsewhere with some regularity and they all come with datatag.

Datatag is shit. As is Smartwater.

There is no conceivable way that they can stop your motorcycle being stolen and broke up for parts.

Chains and a ground anchor is the best bet. Thieves hate noise and having to use an angle grinder through a thick chain is their worst case scenario.

As for alarms, forget it. When was the last time you burst into a sprint responding to a car/bike/house alarm?

No, I can't remember either.

wire it up to an electric fence kit, just make sure the stands are isolated, or fit a personal attack alarm with one of them removable pins, and fit it somewhere it could easily be activated if it's moved :twisted:

The datatag stickers are the most deterrent bit of it. Both my bikes have it, only because it was free.

I wouldn't pay for it to be honest

I've had it on the last two bikes I've had, only because it's supplied free from the stealership. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

I remove the foot lever from my bike in addition to chaining it and covering it. If they managed to get through my £100 chain, they have no choice but to push it away. Then my GPS/RF tracker kicks in and i get a phone call.

Guest Richzx6r

I remove the foot lever from my bike in addition to chaining it and covering it. If they managed to get through my £100 chain, they have no choice but to push it away. Then my GPS/RF tracker kicks in and i get a phone call.

That's a bloody good idea that, what else could be removed and put back on easily??

That's a bloody good idea that, what else could be removed and put back on easily??

The bike...

768400119_whatsmissing.jpg.ad12255cf84723118998a66e1bee18d1.jpg

Guest Richzx6r

The Bike.

Well yeah but if the bike is to be left what else could be removed from the bike to make it unridable though most would just lob the bike in the back of a van

The Bike.

Well yeah but if the bike is to be left what else could be removed from the bike to make it unridable though most would just lob the bike in the back of a van

Yup just that, bike in van, happened to a friend years ago. He watched it being stolen from 10th floor of office, took about 30 seconds, they did leave the stolen still saw behind though.

I read an article by an ex Motorbike thief. He said most thieves who use vans get caught eventually, whereas its much safer for them to just ride away.

When they use a van it's riskier for them especially if the bike has GPS tracking history. Police can use that to compare public CCTV camera footage. If the thief is using a stolen van then the van itself becomes risky to use.

main fuse.

I have never seen any evidence, either way, as to the effectiveness of Datatag. In all my years in the police, I never heard of it being used to recover a stolen vehicle. I do have it though, since it helps with insurance.

If it’s not a deterrent why would Insurance companies give a discount for having it ? They don’t give away money for nowt, so you’d assume they make that decision based on some kind of statistical evidence? Either that or the Datatag salesman is just sooooo good at their job.

I have never seen any evidence, either way, as to the effectiveness of Datatag. In all my years in the police, I never heard of it being used to recover a stolen vehicle. I do have it though, since it helps with insurance.

Trouble is it's very hard to measure how many crimes are not committed due to a security feature.

Back in the day when police bothered to investigate bike theft I would think the prospect of having to remove every single little Datatag micro dot from your entire stash of stolen bike parts would have been a bit of a deterrent for the small time criminals. The police would only need to find one of the dots somewhere in your stollen parts collection to prove a link to a stollen bike.

These days you're lucky if the police even bother to investigate bike thefts so the chance of bike thieves being raided and having the datatags discovered is far lower than it used to be.