Has the law changed on insurance?

Lumor_uk

Just been told by phone and letter that it's illegal for my vehicle not to be insured unless I've SORN'd it. It's taxed at present I'm just waiting for my next pay cheque (few days away) for the money to get it insured and MOT'd.

"It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to use or keep a motor vehicle without adequate insurance cover in force, unless the vehicle has been declared SORN with the DVLA, in accordance with the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) regulations."

edit: forget that just looked it up, what a con. What's the point in me getting it SORN'd (losing 1 month of tax) then go to the trouble of taxing it again 30 days later :scratch:

https://www.mustard.co.uk/insurance-guides/learn/continuous-insurance-enforcement/

Hi [mention]Lumor_uk[/mention] as your link say's been Law for 3 years or more. If your vehicle is taxed just keep your Insurance in place. I always, since I was 16 never let my insurance lapse.

Have a Vfr that's been offroad for 5 years but it's still Insured.

The buggers did the auto-renewal on me ...was a dead card anyway so didn't get charged. "You have an outstanding balance of £112"....erm no I'm cancelling under the 14 day cooling off period. Just got it sorted for £65 + £25 cashback grand total £40 :roll:

Cheers, interesting read. According to my link you're supposed to get a warning first? The insurer said I was good till midnight on the day I cancelled even though I hadn't paid a penny, good of them I suppose. I think I'm one day without insurance in that case.

I suspect this law was brought in to close a loophole wheby people purposely didn't get insurance and if anyone asks they could just say they didn't drive it. And so the only way they would get caught is in the act. With this law, the DVLA and the police can now catch you, meaning less uninsured drivers in the road.

This, in theory, protects you from being hit by an uninsured driver.

I didn't know about it until last year when the scooter insurance ended, I didn't re insure it and got a letter saying I must act NOW to avoid a fine :shock: I SORNed it immediately.

PS Happily she's back on the road now 8-)

Cheers for supporting the warning letter first, seems the guy in the other thread didn't get or ignored the warning letter for not having insurance. Maybe the son got it and binned it without thinking about it :shock:

My wife's bike iain the garage chained to the floor wall and alarmed and disk locks as its not insured as if not.got round.to insuring it . I will i will . .

need insurance So I can get it mot and tax then her off to the CBT..

Cheers for supporting the warning letter first, seems the guy in the other thread didn't get or ignored the warning letter for not having insurance. Maybe the son got it and binned it without thinking about it :shock:

Well so far as we’re aware there was no warning letter. Makes it all the more annoying, actually.