First long(ish) ride tomorrow in rush hour, any tips? Pretty nervous.

TomAJ91

Hi all,

I've got a 30 mile ride tomorrow and just feel a little bit nervous about it as I have to be there at 8AM.

I can drive but I really want to take the bike but it'll be my first ride in the early nasty crazy school mum and dad prime time and just wanted to know if there are tips you guys might have?

I've already planned my routes so I'll be pretty much off all the A roads and just some nice twisty B roads.

give yourself plenty of time, set off earlier than you planned, and treat it as pleasure ride, and do the usual checks, petrol,tyres,water and oil if applicable :thumb:

Will do! I realised I had most of the stuff except a tyre pressure gauge so I'll be picking one up at sports bike shop tomorrow.

The school run is back on isn't it ? Or do we have another week of quiet roads in the morning ? I can't believe what a difference it makes especially where live . There's a posh fee paying secondary school near me and these f*****s will run you down with a BM or Range Rover as soon as look at you if little Jonny was too slow getting dressed .

nasty crazy school mum and dad prime time and just wanted to know if there are tips you guys might have?

Lol my commute too! To be honest its not the worst. Just keep your eyes peeled especially around junctions or coming up to roundabouts....basically anywhere there's queues and you get tempted to filter - you're not the only person looking to save time so people will just pull out at random!

Sometimes we have to move out of our comfort zone to make it part of a normal routine.

If you dont feel confident, dont try and filter past or overtake people, just stay behind other traffic and observe on your first go, have a look at where you may be able to easily find gaps in future etc.... you'll be there in no time :)

Ive only had one crazy mum-mobile pull out of a school junction, I wasn't evening filtering at the time and she gives me the evils as I slowly work around her... :roll: Fortunately the spidey-sense had kicked in prior as she was being impatient since reaching the line so figured she may [choose to] not see me and had already slowed up in case i needed to stop or move round!

Assume no one can see you, use your indicators, make eye contact, no wheelies whilst filtering.

My instructor used to say "Assume other motorists have seen you, and are actively trying to kill you." :lol:

Thanks for all the responces guys! I've downloaded a motorbike sat nav thingy, it'll keep me from long, fast, straight roads.

I'll let you all know how I got on! I'm off to have a couple of hours on a big bike before I go for the MOD1 and 2 at the end of May.

So I survived 28 miles there and 28 back!

I've decided I'm a warm weather rider, it was 3-4c when I left and I actually had to pull over to warm my hands up on the engine :lol:

It was foggy as well so I nearly took the car.

I've decided I'm a warm weather rider, it was 3-4c when I left and I actually had to pull over to warm my hands up on the engine :lol:

Well done! Fair weather rider here too though a few times this years it's been sunny but a bit chilli so I've used my exhaust to warm my hands too. Might consider heated grips for such days - they're not expensive.

I can relate, I started riding again last year and bought 125cc. I had to ride home 30miles having just passed by CBT. However i didnt take into consideration crossing over some of the highest peaks in the UK.

I was getting blown left and right by the wind whilst on these small twisty roads high up in the hills.

Scary!!

I always carry a pair of good quality washing up gloves for those times when it's chillier than expected. If I get caught out in summer gloves and get cold hands I put the washing up gloves under my leathers. Well insulated and if it wet will keep your hands dry.

It's a trick I learnt years ago and it's bailed me out on a few sunny but cold days.

Well done! Fair weather rider here too though a few times this years it's been sunny but a bit chilli so I've used my exhaust to warm my hands too. Might consider heated grips for such days - they're not expensive.

First thing I added to my bike was heated grips as I ride pretty much all year unless it's REALLY bad (ice and high wind, maybe snow but that comes under ice.... Ill ride in heavy rain if desperate or been caught out by it but Id rather wuss out and take the car lol)

I always carry a pair of good quality washing up gloves for those times when it's chillier than expected. If I get caught out in summer gloves and get cold hands I put the washing up gloves under my leathers. Well insulated and if it wet will keep your hands dry.

It's a trick I learnt years ago and it's bailed me out on a few sunny but cold days.

That's actually a really good shout, I can just pop a pair in the cubby hole.

First thing I added to my bike was heated grips as I ride pretty much all year unless it's REALLY bad (ice and high wind, maybe snow but that comes under ice.... Ill ride in heavy rain if desperate or been caught out by it but Id rather wuss out and take the car lol)

I bought/got into this as a hobby/toy/learning something new so I'll try and avoid the rubbish weather as much as possible. I for some strange reason really do want to go out when its pissing down as seems like it could be quite relaxing (I'm sure its not)

Hahah Im only all weather because it's my best way of getting to work! I dont get parking at work and I live a 40min walk away so it takes less than 10 mins on the bike and I can park it wherever without taking up a car space :)

I bought/got into this as a hobby/toy/learning something new so I'll try and avoid the rubbish weather as much as possible. I for some strange reason really do want to go out when its pissing down as seems like it could be quite relaxing (I'm sure its not)

It's not relaxing in the middle of February at 6am, that's for certain :lol:.

Hahah Im only all weather because it's my best way of getting to work! I dont get parking at work and I live a 40min walk away so it takes less than 10 mins on the bike and I can park it wherever without taking up a car space :)

I'd absolutely love to commute to work, but as Westbeef mentioned, I can't imagine it being particularly pleasant in minus godknowswhat mornings.

I think I'm travel time would drop from an hour to 35 minutes.

Plus aren't you paranoid about ice and what not?

Ice is the one time I prefer to walk... that said I did my MOD 2 training on days where there wasnt much ice in the city but out on a couple of country back roads you'd put your foot down and be met with a thin layer of ice....