Exhaust Wrap , Beware !

fastbob

A cautionary tale. If anyone has a bike with exhaust wrap on the pipes and they don't like it and have decided to remove it , STOP ! This stuff is dangerous and nasty ! I've just taken delivery of the original chrome heat shields for my Harley so I went straight to the shed and started to unwrap the down pipes that are clad in this evil stuff. Unfortunately I didn't realize how much glass fibre dust was coming off until it was too late . Now I've got a pair of jeans I probably won't be able to wear again and my hands are itching like a bast*rd . There are sparkly fibres all over the garage floor and all over the lower part of the bike . Luckily I don't think I breathed any in but I bet the consequences wouldn't be pleasant. So if anyone is thinking of messing with this shit , wear old clothes , a mask and gloves and do it outdoors . When I do the other pipe I'm going to soak it in water first to try to dampen it down . Does anybody have a remedy for this f*****g itching ?

Too late now but liberally coating your hands and arms with talcum powder is the best way to stop the fibreglass from getting in your pores and itching :D

Was told by a loft insulation installer to do this. He used to coat himself in it before putting his overalls on :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

Iv heard poison ivy or stinging nettles work for the pain and inflammation.....or was it a nest of angry wasps :scratch:

Guest Richzx6r

On a serious note mate a pair of marigolds and a mask tomorrow, it's too late to do anything about it now though maybe using the vacuum cleaner to suck it off might help some?

Piss in a cup and rub thoroughly over affected areas :thumb:

That's for jellyfish stings!! :lol:

A hot bath and let your hands go all wrinkly helps to soak the fibre out.. works with loft insulation.

On a serious note mate a pair of marigolds and a mask tomorrow, it's too late to do anything about it now though maybe using the vacuum cleaner to suck it off might help some?

paging @six30..[mention]Six30[/mention] your audience awaits

paging @six30..@Six30 your audience awaits

What a gift !

A cautionary tale. If anyone has a bike with exhaust wrap on the pipes and they don't like it and have decided to remove it , STOP ! This stuff is dangerous and nasty ! I've just taken delivery of the original chrome heat shields for my Harley so I went straight to the shed and started to unwrap the down pipes that are clad in this evil stuff. Unfortunately I didn't realize how much glass fibre dust was coming off until it was too late . Now I've got a pair of jeans I probably won't be able to wear again and my hands are itching like a bast*rd . There are sparkly fibres all over the garage floor and all over the lower part of the bike . Luckily I don't think I breathed any in but I bet the consequences wouldn't be pleasant. So if anyone is thinking of messing with this shit , wear old clothes , a mask and gloves and do it outdoors . When I do the other pipe I'm going to soak it in water first to try to dampen it down . Does anybody have a remedy for this f*****g itching ?

What was the state of the exhaust once you’d removed the wrapping?

The exhausts are fine . Harley exhausts are made of something resembling galvanized scaffolding tube and probably weigh as much . They are then clad in a chromed heat shield along their entire length which makes them look pristine. I haven't actually checked to see if the headers are stainless but as I say , they are completely unaffected.

The exhausts are fine . Harley exhausts are made of something resembling galvanized scaffolding tube and probably weigh as much . They are then clad in a chromed heat shield along their entire length which makes them look pristine. I haven't actually checked to see if the headers are stainless but as I say , they are completely unaffected.

Obviously never seen rain

paging @six30..@Six30 your audience awaits

What a gift !

[/quo[mention]Six30[/mention]

To obvious bob' so I left it .

Obviously never seen rain

Course not it's a Harley.

wonder why they wrapped them in the first place :?:

It's nothing more than a fashion thing.

Right , job done . All the shitty glass fibre bandage is in the bin where it belongs and the original heat shields are back on . Now when I pull up I'll be able to make that irritating tinkling noise as the metal cools down that is so characteristic of Harleys . Lovely 😁.

IMG_20190502_202322249.thumb.jpg.903b180b91bc0c801d5a63316f0278bc.jpg

you mean.. like owning a Harley? :mrgreen:

Ah , the snide little man has popped up .

It could have been a precaution against the combined effects of forward controls and ass-less chaps singeing the riders bits ?

Guest Richzx6r

Right , job done . All the shitty glass fibre bandage is in the bin where it belongs and the original heat shields are back on . Now when I pull up I'll be able to make that irritating tinkling noise as the metal cools down that is so characteristic of Harleys . Lovely 😁.

Must be loud with them pipes

Must be loud with them pipes

Pleasingly so but not excessive . I've got some alternative baffles but I haven't worked out whether they are louder or quieter.

It could have been a precaution against the combined effects of forward controls and ass-less chaps singeing the riders bits ?

Forward controls are coming off tomorrow as soon as I collect the mid controls .