Aftermarket or OEM exhaust?

Smithers

When I first bought the NC last year, the first thing I did was fit an aftermarket exhaust can (Fuel F1) as I've had them before and in my opinion are good quality cans. Crisis time now; I have the brand new unused OEM Honda can in a box,which although a lot quieter does sound OK. What caused the crises? I was out on a jolly today when an identical bike pulled into the pub; sorry, I meant café , and I thought that really sounds OK. I think my after market can is wearing out the wadding and seems to be getting louder. It may have something to do with the pair valve shagging out the aftermarket can quicker than normal? Only guessing.

Good learned people of this forum, what should I do? Wait till the aftermarket can becomes really noisy and get it re-stuffed? Or just re-fit what Honda intended for the bike?

Don't waste your time, if it ever gets too loud, buy an after market noise baffle to put in the end for £20....I did it to mine because I love thy neighbours.

I've already got the original baffle in. It was never removed.

Can an exhaust really get too loud :scratch:

Most definitely; I hear some, that are painful to ride behind. My neighbours don't particularly bother me because I've alienated them enough times in the past that they just accept it now, but there's still a slight slither of conscience left in me. :oops:

Guest Richzx6r

Can an exhaust really get too loud :scratch:

Most definitely; I hear some, that are painful to ride behind. My neighbours don't particularly bother me because I've alienated them enough times in the past that they just accept it now, but there's still a slight slither of conscience left in me. :oops:

My feeling though is that a loud bike is generally a safer bike as the twat who inevitably pulls out on you cant say they didn't hear you coming at the very least

My feeling though is that a loud bike is generally a safer bike as the twat who inevitably pulls out on you cant say they didn't hear you coming at the very least

I ride my bike to work sometimes at 515am...would you feel the same about it then? :?

Ive heard this said about Fuel exhausts.. and Fuel themselves recommend the can is repacked every 2 years or 10,000 miles for all bikes other than singles and Vtwins. excessive? or just that they go off too quickly. For modern bike there are only two reasons for swapping the can. looks and noise. maybe weight too if you want to be picky. I want to swap the can on the africa twin and for me theres just one reason. looks. the original sounds great but looks shit. incidentally the can I want is just £100 more than the nearest Fuel equivalent and doesnt need to be repacked. in fact they specifically say that.

Due to the internal construction and high specification of the materials used our silencers never require re packing and are covered under our life time guarantee.

Guest Richzx6r

I ride my bike to work sometimes at 515am...would you feel the same about it then? :?

My feeling is that the amount of time you would be there making noise would be a couple of minutes at most so I'd still say a loud bike is a safe bike

I really don't believe the 'loud exhausts saves lives' as I have witnessed on several occasions some dipshit driving along oblivious to an ambulance behind them with blue lights and sirens. It's quite scary the vast amount of drivers unaware of their surroundings. :shock:

Guest Richzx6r

I really don't believe the 'loud exhausts saves lives' as I have witnessed on several occasions some dipshit driving along oblivious to an ambulance behind them with blue lights and sirens. It's quite scary the vast amount of drivers unaware of their surroundings. :shock:

Yea I too have noticed that, I just don't get why the majority of drivers see fit to start driving and switch off like nothing but themselves matter, I blame it on cars being too comfortable and easy to drive

oh yeah, totally agree with you there Rich. Cosy little box that provides a sense of complete and utter protection from whatever is outside of it, with music as loud as they want, they just switch off into their own little world with no regard for other road users.... until.... BANG! SMIDSY :evil:

Guest Richzx6r

Maybe they should make cars uncomfortable after a short time and make everything rattle and make it so the radio cant go up too loud

Guest Richzx6r

yea I used to have a series 3 land rover that was like that so I only did short trips :lol:

See being uncomfortable means your more alarm due to not being able to travel so far thus lives saved

Ive heard this said about Fuel exhausts.. and Fuel themselves recommend the can is repacked every 2 years or 10,000 miles for all bikes other than singles and Vtwins. excessive? or just that they go off too quickly. For modern bike there are only two reasons for swapping the can. looks and noise. maybe weight too if you want to be picky. I want to swap the can on the africa twin and for me theres just one reason. looks. the original sounds great but looks shit. incidentally the can I want is just £100 more than the nearest Fuel equivalent and doesnt need to be repacked. in fact they specifically say that.

Due to the internal construction and high specification of the materials used our silencers never require re packing and are covered under our life time guarantee.

Edit: removed dumb question.

Ah, Scorpion no less. Might have a look into this :thumb:

Edited by Smithers