Best way to get mega heavy gunk off after 5 years lol

skiersteve

Cleaning my bike for the first time in 5 years, put 35k miles on her and done 5 winters 5 days a week, of course now I've got some pretty epic gunge built up, overall the bike looks good but I've got 3 or 4 areas which are so tough I'm having a hard time clearing, so far I've tried muc off degreaser while dry then wait 5 then scrub with a toothbrush, did nothing, tried a bit of white spirit and that got a little bit off but they are in such tight spaces it's hard to scrub, also toothbrush clogs up after 5 seconds and I spend another 10 mins trying too clean the brush lol, are there any mega powerful degreasers out there that could help?

Thx!

IMG-20190505-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.41582822423e8615e768f89302d6b8e3.jpeg

Judging how well paraffin cleans greasy chains, I would set up a tray/bowl under the area to be cleaned and start spraying paraffin onto it, agitating with a stiff type of brush. Paraffin's cheap so it's worth a try I reckon.

Judging how well paraffin cleans greasy chains, I would set up a tray/bowl under the area to be cleaned and start spraying paraffin onto it, agitating with a stiff type of brush. Paraffin's cheap so it's worth a try I reckon.

Ohh I've acutally got 5 liters coming this Wednesday so hopefully perfect, can you recommend any decent brush? Toothbrushes are w**k for this they clog up way to fast, feels like your brushing gunk to gunk lol, also parrafin pretty safe around all parts except paintwork correct?

Guest Richzx6r

It's not probably being held together but the crud so cleaning it after so long may serve up something which the muck and crud was plugging :scratch:

It's not probably being held together but the crud so cleaning it after so long may serve up something which the muck and crud was plugging :scratch:

Ha ha just seen it in my head the bike in bits all over the floor

Hope you did before and after photos 5 years of gunk 5 days cleaning lol

Guest Richzx6r

Ha ha just seen it in my head the bike in bits all over the floor

Hope you did before and after photos 5 years of gunk 5 days cleaning lol

That would and wouldn't be funny at the same time

Laughed at some of the comments 🤣 had this bike since I was 21 and was fat lazy, useless, and unwilling to learn, it's battered to hell ( first big bike, rs125 2 stroke and ybr125 before ) been dropped more times than I remember, some of them being insanely dumb, it's pretty rusty lol but too stop it getting it even worse I caked it in acf50 (not gungey parts) to try keep the old gal alive, as bruised and battered as she is, she still rides well, had the forks uprated, luckily had friend who did it for free so was really cheap to do, and brakes are decent, only thing really that might need changing soon is muffler since it's corroded to hell where it joins with the mid pipe, but you can pick one up on eBay for 40 so w/e, also somehow passed mot with no advisories lol anyway here are some more pics after I did a lil clean

IMG_20190505_160301.thumb.jpg.e13b294e218dd144a6cb8fb0b3c474d7.jpg

IMG_20190505_143919.thumb.jpg.137aff29cc93a9069390e881fa3c12dd.jpg

IMG_20190505_143901.thumb.jpg.ab335fc9aba7500c2f87d1a4b5ab3f81.jpg

IMG_20190505_143742.thumb.jpg.4a1b827c072b3be771db2f7b3ed0453b.jpg

IMG_20190505_143849.thumb.jpg.641f5b1811d45235a59ec29f48ce1ba1.jpg

Oh and I snapped the rear passenger peg by pushing the bike out next to my and my GFS car, got stuck but didn't think anything of it and just pushed as hard as I could then ping r.i.p footpeg, the peg was loose and it fell down and caught on her tyre lol and instead of checking why I couldn't push it, I just said full steam ahead 🤣 that was 4 years ago? And gsr600 to replace the rear peg you have to replace the whole bracket which is 330 so yup it stayed like that lol, prob should just angle grind each side off 🤣

Steam it? That usually breaks down well hardened crud. I use a steam generator for my beehive cleaner, same thing as a wallpaper steamer.

Any suggestions for a decent/not outrageously expensive one? Had a look but tbh no idea what I'm looking at, didn't even know you could steam a bike lol

Steam it? That usually breaks down well hardened crud. I use a steam generator for my beehive cleaner, same thing as a wallpaper steamer.

Any suggestions for a decent/not outrageously expensive one? Had a look but tbh no idea what I'm looking at, didn't even know you could steam a bike lol

Buy a cheap steam wallpaper stripper. The steam generator on one of those does the job fine. You can get them for around £25. Some come with a steam lance or just use the end of the pipe. Wear thick gloves as it will be scalding!

Guest Richzx6r

So you wear a beehive hairdo eh? That's very 70s 8-)

To get rid of similar, I used an old flat headed screwdriver and a cloth. I patiently and gently scraped off most of the crud by digging it out with the screwdriver and then wiping the screwdriver on the cloth.

Once the worst was gone, I used WD40 to finish it off as the power of the spray helps to shift what is left and the straw on the nozzle means you can get into the smallest of gaps.

Put cardboard or similar under the bike to catch what drips/falls off.