Rear ended 21 hours after new bike

skiersteve

This acutally happened a week ago but I've been so pissed I didn't want to talk about it, so bought a gsr 750, 5k miles absolutely immaculate and only 4.5k! Way under sold it as it has a ton of extras too, clearly needed cash but w/e so next day I ride it home, so happy, absolutely in love with the bike, commute the next day to work then on the way home I was stopped on a roundabout for a good 4-5 seconds then bump, old granny goes into the back of me, 21 hours after owning bike, went absolutely spastic at the old girl ( which I apologized for when I called her later that night ) she didn't want to go through the insurance which made me so happy since insurance companies replace after market parts with standard and suzuki exhaust are absolutely disgusting, so priced everything up and told her the parts were going to be 1k and she agreeded to pay me a little more because she felt to bad being a brand new bike (1100) 5 days later, money cleared and all parts ordered, spoke to the women a few more times since then, and bless her she's been brilliant, sucks that it happened but crash bungs completely saved all of the paintwork ( worth their weight in gold ) and most other damage is tiny although exhaust got totally trashed and brake lever snapped off which is a annoying job to replace, overall it sucks it happened but the aftermath couldn't have gone smoother and just happy it got sorted so fast and so easily anyway here are some pics, also 5 years on my old bike not one crash, 21 hours on new one and get hit lol, wouldn't even be so bad if it was my own fault but I wasn't even moving!!

IMG-20190424-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.fccca36d17a95d725f2f7cc62a1e2924.jpeg

IMG-20190424-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.c008a876694230cac34e6f22f0db9133.jpeg

without being doom and gloom i hope you have not underestimated damage ..

rear shunts can present more non visible damage ..

i look at your rear axle nut and think why is there evidence of movenent by the scoring of paintwork of swingarm ..

and if you have declared the mods they will replace them like for like ..

Edited by TimR

Glad to hear that everything went well to get your bike back on the road.

Thats probably a one in a thousand result in regards to how she handled it.

Glad you are ok, but as [mention]TimR[/mention] mentioned, I'd be wary of what "unseen" damage might have been done.

What sort of speed was she doing when she hit you?

Also, why was she so keen to not go through insurance? Has she got insurance? Has she bumped people before and can no longer get insurance?

I can understand not doing through insurance for very slow bumps which are clearly just cosmetic, but those scuffs looks like the bike went down hard.

Glad your ok and the bike is sorted. Your so lucky it want ok ..

As for not going thro the insurance it worries me when ppl say that (now After I got screwed by not going thro the insurance)

As been said about unseen damage who checked the bike over hope there is other damaged..

without being doom and gloom i hope you have not underestimated damage ..

rear shunts can present more non visible damage ..

i look at your rear axle nut and think why is there evidence of movenent by the scoring of paintwork of swingarm ..

and if you have declared the mods they will replace them like for like ..

I did get my GFS dad to look over it since his a bike nut and ex mechanic and he said everything was fine, he acutally asked to come over and check since he was worried there was unseen damage, it wasn't particularly fast, maybe 5mph if that? I did tell the insurers all the mods but going through the quote on the phone they told me that any after market parts would be replaced by standard, mce told me this and even though I didn't go with them the company I did go with also said exact same

Glad your ok and the bike is sorted. Your so lucky it want ok ..

As for not going thro the insurance it worries me when ppl say that (now After I got screwed by not going thro the insurance)

As been said about unseen damage who checked the bike over hope there is other damaged..

Even if the insurance did crop after should be ok since I had 3 witnesses come to me and grabbed all there details and took photos of everything and the scene where it happened, also fact that the money has gone in and cleared makes it seem unlikely that it will go anyfurther 🤞 and father in law checked it over, very clued up on bike mechanics, he said I got lucky as hell lol

Glad you are ok, but as @TimR mentioned, I'd be wary of what "unseen" damage might have been done.

What sort of speed was she doing when she hit you?

Also, why was she so keen to not go through insurance? Has she got insurance? Has she bumped people before and can no longer get insurance?

I can understand not doing through insurance for very slow bumps which are clearly just cosmetic, but those scuffs looks like the bike went down hard.

Maybe 5mph absolutely tops, and I was stationary, well she said she's never had a crash in 40 years of driving and didn't really know what to do next, I told her we could go through the insurance ( didn't really go into detail, since I'd rather the money and get it fixed asap ) or told her the cost and she just said she would pay, to be honest I don't think she had any clue as to how insurance companies work, she was probably at least 70, kinda hard to feel how bad it went down since it happened so fast, really the only cosmetic damage was a snapped brake lever, scratched up bar end, scuffs to mirror, bent exhaust and destroyed crash protector and slight bend in the cheap ass plastic hugger, her car was alright just one massive tyre mark on the bumper lol

Older drivers get hammered on premiums so she may have just wanted to keep the insurance out of it for good reasons. But then she seems to be one of the few decent honest people around who take responsibility for making a mistake and want to put it right.

Still a bummer when it's a new bike. Hope you get it all sorted.

70 you say :P any pics of her ?

Ha nope, a real typical sweet old nan type of woman, which is why when I got home I apologized for going so berserk at her, but she totally understood why and was just happy I was safe, bless her :)

That's my biggest dread about biking, it's happened to me a couple of times and got off lightly with it. People still using mobile phones when driving is just as bad now even though plod takes a dim view of it. Not in your case though, you were lucky the old dear was decent and has a few bob to smooth it over. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

I got rear ended at a traffic island in a brand new car ( by a KA ... oh the shame)

It was in the wet and didn’t hear a thing ... it was such a big impact it wrote my car off, I was hugely paranoid every time I rode my bike after that as I reckoned if I’d been on my bike it would have been lights out.

Unfortunately they didn’t take psychological trauma into account in those days - just got compensated for my sore neck 😉

Even today If I can’t filter in a queue I pull beside the last car so I’m less likely to take the full brunt of any impact.

I was also quite traumatised by the state of the guy in the KA passenger seat who hadn’t been wearing a seatbelt... 🤢