Dash Cam.

Phooey

I've got a Nextbase GPS camera in my company car.......just in case..... :wink: It comes on when I start the car and goes off when I switch the ignition off.......quality is pretty good..... 8-)

I've got a Nextbase GPS camera in my company car.......just in case..... :wink: It comes on when I start the car and goes off when I switch the ignition off.......quality is pretty good..... 8-)

Is there a model number, Bob?

Drift x is OK if you want cheap, drift 4k it's more money but much better quality

Sorry was thinking bike not car lol

Sorted with bike, Bender. Def for the car!

This is the one that I've got.......https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-312gw-limited-edition-dash-cam-bundle

That looks decent. No ugly wires is a huge advantage and Argos has them for £79!

Serious contender there I think!

EDIT: And, hard wiring looks pretty damned easy too!

Edited by Phooey

Only drawback I belive with next Base is you can't stop it recording your speed. Obviously that won't be an issue for anyone, you can stop it showing on screen but it's still recorded with data, other than that they OK.

Only drawback I belive with next Base is you can't stop it recording your speed. Obviously that won't be an issue for anyone, you can stop it showing on screen but it's still recorded with data, other than that they OK.

99% of the time I stay within speed limits so not a real problem that. Plus, if I did have an accident while breaking the speed limit I'd hardly offer it for evidence of no blame! lol

The offering it up for evidence may be out of your hands lol, a guy just got done for destroying his dash cam card, came under perverting the corse of justice, which almost always lands you with jail time.

The offering it up for evidence may be out of your hands lol, a guy just got done for destroying his dash cam card, came under perverting the corse of justice, which almost always lands you with jail time.

Ah but there's a difference between 'offering' it up and destroying the evidence. I wouldn't do that. My OH works for the police and I suspect I'd lose a lot of her respect if I tried to destroy the evidence. I'd take the cop in that event. I just wouldn't go running to make the offer.

The police would only get involved if someone was injured in a crash, otherwise it's just up to the insurers to sort out.... :wink:

I tend to stick to the speed limit too......so I've no issue with my video being inspected by the police.... 8-)

I've got a next base dash cam. My insurance company paid for it (idiots), I swapped companies the following year :D To be honest, that's the only reason I've got one, I wouldn't bother otherwise.

Bender pointed out how the cops have now got a half a hand in your car. :(

The only thing I've found with dash cams is that they don't seem to last very long. My last one just died so it's glued to the underside of my top box. Doesn't record anything but it might persuade a few tailgaters to back off.

Next one I buy will be a cheapo one as it doesn't seem to matter what you spend in terms of their lifespan.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought and fitted a Blackvue, I wanted one with parking mode, excellent dash cam, really clear footage, the downside is the price, but I reckon you get what you pay for, no complaints so far anyway

I bought a cheap as chips model off ebay, works a treat. Given the current trend among certain old van drivers in our area to back into a car and claim they were shunted, it is a worthwhile investment.

So, following on from this, I have been looking at plumbing in the hard wire kit.

Now, I have found a switched live that might do the trick but there is an odd thing that I have never come across before. I found a fuse that is dead with ignition off and then live when ignition is on ... perfect! But, when I switch ignition off again it stays live for a few minutes. Is this a quirk of Volvo?? I have never had it with any of my other cheap, crappy cars!

So, following on from this, I have been looking at plumbing in the hard wire kit.

Now, I have found a switched live that might do the trick but there is an odd thing that I have never come across before. I found a fuse that is dead with ignition off and then live when ignition is on ... perfect! But, when I switch ignition off again it stays live for a few minutes. Is this a quirk of Volvo?? I have never had it with any of my other cheap, crappy cars!

I'm sure Ive read somewhere that some modern BMW bikes do this on the accessory connection.

I'm sure Ive read somewhere that some modern BMW bikes do this on the accessory connection.

Maybe Volvo have adopted a similar thing then mate. Nice to hear from you again, Sir!

My last Mondeo did this. The accessory socket stayed live for about 15 minutes after the ignition was switched off.

My last Mondeo did this. The accessory socket stayed live for about 15 minutes after the ignition was switched off.

Cool thanks. It's not that long ... literally a minute or two so I can live with that.

I've had a Koonlung KS1 in the car for about 4 years now, only seems to like the best (fastest) Samsung cards though. Its got front and rear cameras and records when parked for at least 30 minutes.

http://www.hddashcam.uk/product/koonlung-k1s/

Mine goes off within a minute or so of parking but the slightest touch, I mean unlocking, triggers the park mode and it comes on. Only use the battery when it's needed.