Dead battery advice

learningtofly

Unfortunately you need to charge it fully as you may find the bike may not fully charge the battery!

The only way to do that is to connect it to a charger!

Sorry What? Cars get jump-started all the time when the leave their lights on. Now:- flattening the battery is not good for it, but the bike has an alternator. It might only put out about 5 Amps and your battery might be a 10 Amp hour battery, but of course it charges. Its just not magic. Do the maths. A 5A alternator takes 2 hour of completely charge a 10 Amp/hour battery.

Yeah its not as simple as that!

you don't get constant full charge as if you did you would have a fried battery in no time

There is no guarantee that you will get a full charge where as a charger gives you that

Yes, mines under the seat too - I just need to remove one bolt and the seat can be removed.

Thank you, @fastbob - I need to get it sorted early doors tomorrow as I’m in Newcastle for work for most of the week and I want it charged and tested before I go. I might have given it a go, otherwise.

When you getting to Newcastle? I'm in Sunderland and bender is in Newcastle so maybe if you are free will have to meet up for a few beers?

I’m up there three days a week for the next 6 weeks or so (I’ve already done 4). Happy to meet up for a beer - I’m usually on an early train on Wednesday, heading back south on Friday evening.

TRAIN!!

Wheres the fun in that :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

When you getting to Newcastle? I'm in Sunderland and bender is in Newcastle so maybe if you are free will have to meet up for a few beers?

I’m up there three days a week for the next 6 weeks or so (I’ve already done 4). Happy to meet up for a beer - I’m usually on an early train on Wednesday, heading back south on Friday evening.

TRAIN!!

Amen to that lol

Guest Richzx6r

Yes, mines under the seat too - I just need to remove one bolt and the seat can be removed.

Thank you, @fastbob - I need to get it sorted early doors tomorrow as I’m in Newcastle for work for most of the week and I want it charged and tested before I go. I might have given it a go, otherwise.

Where abouts you staying?

TRAIN!!

I know, it’s killing me not riding up, but I need three day’s worth of gear and it’s just a bit too far to be practicable.

I have thought of renting something over a weekend, actually.

The County Hotel.

TRAIN!!

I know, it’s killing me not riding up, but I need three day’s worth of gear and it’s just a bit too far to be practicable.

I have thought of renting something over a weekend, actually.

if your talking gear as in clothes then easy doable in a backpack

if your talking work gear then I will let you off :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

The County Hotel.

I'll PM you my number and maybe Thursday evening once I finish work I'll pop over the water for a beer

The County Hotel.

I'll PM you my number and maybe Thursday evening once I finish work I'll pop over the water for a beer

image.jpeg.b7836296bd8a59cc32060431ba05bba5.jpeg

Bit late into this but I use CTEK chargers with a lead that has led indicators of the battery charge which stay connected to the bike. It means you always know the state of the battery at a glance.

Thanks for that. I'm off to Halfords in a few minutes to pick up the charger that Stu linked to earlier in the thread. I'm going to fit a permanent lead and feed it under the pillion seat so assuming the battery is okay I'll be in a better position anyway once I've done that.

Guest Richzx6r

The County Hotel.

Do I hear jealousy creeping in there six :thumb:

I'll be waiting in the room x

Guest Richzx6r

I'll be waiting in the room x

Well that's an offer I haven't had for a while :lol:

The engine management light will probably come on when you next start the bike.....don't worry about it, it'll go off after 3 heat cycles (running the bike up to temperature and then cooling down)..... 8-)

The problem with bumping the bike and relying on the alternator to charge the battery from flat, is that it puts an excessive load on the Stator and Reg/rec, which can cause them to overheat and fail......The charging circuits on Triumphs can be a bit fragile, so it's a good idea to always keep the bike on a maintenance charger to keep the battery topped up..... :wink:

Well, that didn't go as badly as it normally does when i attempt any maintenance or DIY myself. I managed to feed the cable from the battery terminals into the pillion storage area so the connection for the charger will now be ready and waiting should I need it in the future. It's all working as it should, it would seem, so by tomorrow morning I should have a fully charged battery again :thumb:

I had to check what kind of battery I had, mind... I was expecting lithium but it's lead acid.

IMG_4237.thumb.jpg.8c8a77f3e360726eb99ccd5513201a44.jpg

IMG_4239.thumb.jpg.58d7d7e5952f82f6c3791132258962bd.jpg

The engine management light will probably come on when you next start the bike.....don't worry about it, it'll go off after 3 heat cycles (running the bike up to temperature and then cooling down)..... 8-)

The problem with bumping the bike and relying on the alternator to charge the battery from flat, is that it puts an excessive load on the Stator and Reg/rec, which can cause them to overheat and fail......The charging circuits on Triumphs can be a bit fragile, so it's a good idea to always keep the bike on a maintenance charger to keep the battery topped up..... :wink:

It was fine when it started up, actually, much to my relief.

Sadly I can’t keep the bike plugged in to a charger as I keep it in the garden. My ex got the garage :?

Perhaps I will, [mention]Joeman[/mention]. Anyway, it charged up pretty quickly (I think it was about 6 hours until I got a steady green light) so at least I got to ride it over the long weekend, if only for a couple of hours. The new horn sounds far, far better too!