Yamaha MT 07 ABS (2015-2017)

elizabethf

So, Ive owned this bike for just over a week now, and have ridden it nearly every day. So I thought seeing as no-one else has done a review on the 07 (madness) Id have a crack. Im not technical in the slightest so see this as a review from a complete noob, i suspect this might be quite telling though of how good/bad a bike is!

I shall revisit this thread in 2 months, to give a much better overview too as there's still a lot I havent done with this bike yet.

Background on me: recently passed test so quite green. Rode a couple of bikes for the MODs, including an SV and a Gladius. Disliked the latter, got on well with the former. I'm only 5'3 but I have long legs so there are no modifications to my MT. It's mainly been used for city commuting so far.

What model was it? Mine is the late 2015 model, which I believe ran through until 2017. Mine is silver with the beautiful Yamaha Racing Blue. 689cc, 74bhp.

When did you buy it and how much did it cost? Bought 2 weeks ago at a cost of £4k. 7k miles on the clock, no damages.

Good points? Where to begin, nice and lightweight so easy to move around both in and out of the seat so great for cornering. It has a comfortable, upright position. Looks nice. Runs really smoothly, pulls nicely along as well, and you could easily move quickly out of danger if need be - there's some decent power in there. It's been described as quite 'torquey' and I can see why. If you are used to doing tasks like filtering on a 125 or parking it in narrow spots, it doesn't feel like a big jump between the two as its a good, compact bike for city commutes. The dash is pretty easy to follow and glance at. Comfy seat. I pretty much always jump off with a smile on my face.

In my opinion this is a great first 'big bike' or a general purpose bike if you're more seasoned but dont want to do basic rides (sch as commuting) on you sportsbike, tourer or anything else more meaty. For beginners it's light and extremely forgiving, making you feel safer, building your confidence now you're on your own, and possibly less likely to drop it/dump it/come off so soon - ABS for added safety, not that I've tested it! For other bikers its a general purpose bike that isn't too boring. Plus being light you could probably pop wheelies on it really easy :lol:

Added bonus is (not sure about newer model though as I suspect it's wider) the seat is tapered so if you have short legs, you can shuffle further forward and are likely to reach the floor ok. :thumb:

Bad points? The factory fitted exhaust is very quiet, so other motorists might not hear you and therefore not see/look for you. One thing that took a while getting used to was how close the indicators are to the horn - not sure if that has been improved in newer models. I believe the suspension has been improved in newer models. There *could* be an issue down the line with rust being a naked, but nothing good maintenance can't keep on top of.

Would you get another? Im still fairly new to the A licence so Id probably still experiment on other bikes 'just in case' but for my general daily rides I would not be devastated if the 07 was all I could have again. If I totalled it tomorrow and have £4k in my pocket to buy a new bike, Id probably just go buy another MT lol.

53509468_10161411365445175_1947632145337942016_n.jpg.b60666836709fe30594e9dedb509cc54.jpg

Nice review, thank you. The 07 was my first thought too, but I eventually got sucked I to the modern classic thing and then went on to another Triumph. I'm sure had I gone you're route I'd have been entirely happy, though.

Sounds like it's comfortable for filtering, too, which is a must for me.

Elizabeth I'm glad ur pleased with ur purchase. I think from all of what I've heard yamaha have really got the nail on the head with the mt07 and tracer great engine and price very versatile twin, I think for the money you would be hard pressed to beat it. I know people rave about the 790 duke but it costs a lot more.

I love the mt09 and tracer 9 lovely triple.i hope you keep enjoying it, that's what it's all about.

Elizabeth I'm glad ur pleased with ur purchase. I think from all of what I've heard yamaha have really got the nail on the head with the mt07 and tracer great engine and price very versatile twin, I think for the money you would be hard pressed to beat it. I know people rave about the 790 duke but it costs a lot more.

I love the mt09 and tracer 9 lovely triple.i hope you keep enjoying it, that's what it's all about.

I'd love a tracer at some point as well! my 07 is the stepping stone to bigger things. That being said Id struggle to part with it, we seem to get on pretty well haha.

I'd love a tracer at some point as well! my 07 is the stepping stone to bigger things. That being said Id struggle to part with it, we seem to get on pretty well haha.

That's the same as me with my RE Himalayan I can't part with it but may well make an addition to the garage next year

• 1 month later...

So I said I'd come back to this when Id had more time with it and I have to say I still love it just as much.

It feels good at fast speeds, and due to the torque you set off around others in quite an quick and impressive manner (well I think). The only downside is to really push it you are best leaning forward rather than staying sat upright and if there is a bit of wind or gusts then it reaaaaally sucks to be on a national speed limit or motorway.

Fuel economy = good enough. I can manage about 160 miles until im down to the last bar - ive never got to the stage where's it's flashing at me to fill up! That said, that's if Im riding 'economically' :angel12: position and the seat comfort means I dont ache the next day if Ive been riding all day :)

I have since changed the exhaust to a scorpion and it has a nice grumble to it now.

Cornering - really easy, if anything my own confidence holds the bike back but that will come with time.

I still say if you're fresh out of the test centre this is what you need to seriously consider. If you're small, seriously consider. If you want a light commuter but not a small engine (eg 300cc mark), then again, consider.

if there is a bit of wind or gusts then it reaaaaally sucks to be on a national speed limit or motorway.

There's times I curse having a naked. Usually on rides when I've gone out with a tailwind I was unaware of and then had to ride home getting battered! :lol:

if there is a bit of wind or gusts then it reaaaaally sucks to be on a national speed limit or motorway.

There's times I curse having a naked. Usually on rides when I've gone out with a tailwind I was unaware of and then had to ride home getting battered! :lol:

I know Im usually knackered by the time i get home fighting it! plus its harder to really accelerate the bike.... if you catch my drift :angel12:

Guest Richzx6r

Nice little write up there beth :oops: will have to arrange the ride out soon, tho Emma has fallen off the face of the planet it seems

Edited by Richzx6r

Beth ;) Im not a Liz (but if people accidentally call me Liz I won't be rude and ignore you....honest!)

Yeah, will have to drop her a PM and see if everything is alright.

Are you doing Pulse of the Moors at the weekend?

• 2 weeks later...

I took my lessons and test on the MT07.

Excellent bike, given it was my first time ever on a big bike I took to it right away and got on excellent with it

Having just passed Mod 2 I am keen to test ride as many different styles of bikes as possible to see what takes my fancy but I wouldn’t take much persuading to go for the MT07

• 3 weeks later...

Some good comments on here and good review, if I could throw my tuppence in....

I have been riding little over 2 years or so, first bike was ZX6R J1 and boy did I make a mistake getting that as a first bike!! I decided to change and got a brand new 2018 MT07 ABS and what a difference!!

It is so much lighter, nimble and can literally throw it about! Bike is so much more capable than me and as already mentioned by another user my confidence is holding the bike back!

The indicator and horn switches / buttons are still a massive negative, far too close together but if ya hit the horn by mistake then no bad thing I guess! Not like it's a fog horn that's gunna disturb the whole neighbourhood!!

The stock exhaust is horrendous!! This is something I am desperate to change,

elizabethf - you mentioned that you fitted a scorpion exhaust, did you get it remapped / flashed or not? If not have you had any issues with lower end rpm throttle response or anything as I have read that it can become quite poor if not remapped?

Regarding the wind issue, I find this another negative but have found that if you adopt a kind of sports bike position (on motorway, duel carriageway) and get close to the dash then it can reduce the battering quite significantly and didn't feel too bad a position to be in!! Not sure how it would look from an observer but if it reduces drag and battering then who cares!! :lol:

The seat I find isn't that comfy after long time on the bike, not sure if that's coz I have got a boney small backside though, and I have seen that you can change the seat I think if you wanted to!

On the whole though an absolutely cracking little bike for the money!! Would definitely recommend to a new rider!

speaking of scorpion exhausts, at Coventry MotoFest i saw a MT-07 with a Scorpion de-cat system, which i have recorded coincidently:

">

it sounds lush! it's very loud, the 'normal' slip on will not sound as loud. That's what the scorpion bloke said.

^^^^ sounds good!! Still after an answer on whether the MT07s still run sweet with new exhaust system fitted without being remapped/flashed!! Coz as mentioned I have heard that they don't run as well at lower rpm unless remapped but personally can't see it being too much of an issue!!

• 2 weeks later...

What a great little machine the MT07 is. I have just purchased one (2019) for commuting and for the odd fun day out, but I find the more I ride it, the more enjoyable it is :wink: . I also own a BMW R1200GS for those long days in the saddle and touring, however the beemer is getting less and less use. The Little MT is lighter and more manageable to move on the driveway, its nimble and easy to filter in traffic. Yes it's cheap and cheerful. Like most nakeds, anything above 60mph starts to take it out of you, so a little sports touring screen has been ordered. I will report on this later. Speaking of touring, I think it would be possible, I've managed two weeks in Europe on my old CBR600F (tailpack & tank bag) tank range about 160-180, that's enough miles for me, its then brew and toilet time :lol: been riding for over 30 years and I sure do get ready for that break :lol: Plenty of accessories out there, first one for me will be the screen, then bobbins and levers. The suspension is soft, this takes some getting use to, especially compared to the GS. But I can live with that. I thought about a Katoom 1290GT, but after all the years riding I have found you can pay for a lot of gizmos to stop you riding the bike, traction this and anti wheelie that, cornering ABS :roll: WTF really :mrgreen: plus the be all and end all I couldn't afford £16K otherwise I would have one :shock: :D The MT is a great bike for today's roads, country or motorway. I can see why it sells well in Euroland. :thumb:

• 4 weeks later...

This should probably go somewhere else, but eh ho :mrgreen: . following on from my last post, I Purchased an Ermax Sports Touring Screen for the little MT07. This is a great little addition. The fixing bracket is shaped to fit the front using the four front facing fixings, the screen then attached to that, simples. It certainly makes the motorway miles more bearable, no buffering or it is buffeting :idea: just good old helmet noise.

• 1 year later...

old post I know. regarding checking on mpg.

the correct way to be accurate is to fill the tank up and ride how you normally would.

once you've hit a hundred miles or so fill up.

say yo did 124 miles . filled up using 2 gallon. (9 ltr)

124  divide that by 9 = 13.77 x 4.5 =  61 mpg .

thats how I do it.

do this a few times then you will know what on average you'll get to a full tank.

those bars are way out.

my 1st tracer 700 I was averaging 70mpg riding two up.

bought a tracer 900 didn't like that  so sold over a year later .

bought another tracer 700 last year and still running it in.

I'm getting about 66 mpg again riding two up.

this my current bike matt blue

b7.JPG

14 minutes ago, johnakay said:

old post I know. regarding checking on mpg.

the correct way to be accurate is to fill the tank up and ride how you normally would.

once you've hit a hundred miles or so fill up.

say yo did 124 miles . filled up using 2 gallon. (9 ltr)

124  divide that by 9 = 13.77 x 4.5 =  61 mpg .

thats how I do it.

do this a few times then you will know what on average you'll get to a full tank.

those bars are way out.

my 1st tracer 700 I was averaging 70mpg riding two up.

bought a tracer 900 didn't like that  so sold over a year later .

bought another tracer 700 last year and still running it in.

I'm getting about 66 mpg again riding two up.

this my current bike matt blue

b7.JPG

What did you not like about the 900 out of interest? 

horrible whining noise at around 60 mph once 70 and over it goes  away. 

the dash hard to keep clean and very untidy.

seat is like a plank add any more padding it will raise the height.

cant lower it due to sump being low to start with.

always felt top heavy and want to fall over if you lean over while maneuvering while riding.

just didn't like the bike full stop.

I only bought to do a tour of Scotland then sell it on.

in my opinion the 700 is a much better bike for me anyway.

DSC04255.JPG

• Like 2

that goes for most bikes suspension not to good.

it only comes in if you ride like twat.

never had a problem with any of my bikes but then again I'm not a fast rider.

@ nearly 70 years old I wont mend to easily so I take it easy and enjoy the scenery with my good lady on the back.

as for gear box whine that is common knowledge so can live with it others can't.

• Like 2