Danny Baker:is there a place for racist comments in public?

Valko

BBC just sacked Danny Baker for his racist royal baby post.

Note the guy is not a racist, he just posted by mistake racist joke.

I've listened to him today at LBC - Danny said he's fine to be fired, because any racist act although unintentional must have consequences.

The guy is not a a racist and I agree with him all actions must have consequences. It's the same as unintentionally crashing into somebody - simple sorry doesn't cut it.

Now my question is why the double BBC standards?

BBC rightly sacked Danny Baker for racist post unintentional joke.

Why BBC Question time still broadcasts the racist Nigel Farage despite his multiple very intentional racists slurs against Romanians, Jews, Bulgarians?

"Any fair-minded person would have a perfect right to be concerned if a group of Romanian people suddenly moved in next door."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27459923

Nigel Farage comment about all 6m American Jews conspiracy is racism too.

“There are about 6 million Jewish people living in America, so as a percentage it’s quite small, but in terms of influence it’s quite big.”

Caroline Lucas is right - Farage is racist.

Joe Glasman, Head of Political and Government Investigations at Campaign Against Antisemitism, has called for Mr Farage to apologise for his “deplorable” remarks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-jewish-lobby-nigel-farage-power-anti-semitism-ukip-leader-a8031191.html

Is there a place for racist comments in public?

[mention]Valko[/mention]

You obviously don't really listen to Nigel Farage but rely on biased reporting of him. And you honestly believe Danny Baker didn't realise what he was doing when he let that rocket off? :lol:

I posted and immediately deleted.. i want no part of any discussion that involves that twat.

That's a bit harsh valko is entitled to his opinion.

And me too

There is no way anyone from my generation does not get the intent of a monkey used in that context, I even said to a mate yesterday who do you think will be the first stupid f**kwit to twitter a monkey reference to the new royal, well didn't have to wait to long.

But, was it racists??

Seems to me that had both parents been British and white, the picture would have been laughed off as a joke. Parents have been calling kids "little monkeys" for years.

But because the mother is mixed race, everyone jumps on the "racist" bandwaggon...

So it seems its only racist when one parent is mixed race, and it would be perfectly acceptable if both parents were white??? Thats about as far from "Racial Equality" as you can get, which surely means the Racists are the ones applying diffeernt rules to the same notion that "kids are monkeys" depending on the parents skin colour....

I kind of agree with [mention]Joeman[/mention].

Side story bit somehow related:

When I was plod I was out and about one night and pulled a car with a busted light or something. The driver was a black female with her little kids in the back.

I gave the woman the heads up about her light (or whatever it was) while my crew mate said hello to the kids. When he popped back up he said something along the lines of "lovely couple of monkeys you've got there" in the way you do about other people's kids.

The look of horror that passed over his face just a split second later when he realised what he had said was something to behold. Honestly, you've never seen a white guy turn so white. Anyway, I thanked the woman and let her on her way.

What we got back in our car he started going on about how he didn't mean it that way and was petrified of her making a complaint. She didn't obviously because she took it in the way it was meant.

/story

Tl;dr: Some things said in a totally innocuous way can easily be misconstrued.

And if you look at a chimp wearing a suit and instantly make an association with black people that surely quite revealing about your own racial prejudices..

Dressing up monkeys in clothes for amusement is as bad racial comments ....

If Farage is being dug out how is Corbyn the Antisemite and his racist side kick Diane Abbot still in thier jobs .

But because the mother is mixed race, everyone jumps on the "racist" bandwaggon...

So it seems its only racist when one parent is mixed race, and it would be perfectly acceptable if both parents were white???

I love you Joe... But comments being offensive or not depending on a defining characteristic of the person their aimed at is Kind of the definition of prejudice.

I get your comment about we should all aim to be equal where these comments have no effect anymore. But we're not there at the moment and so they Do still have meaning.

There is no way anyone from my generation does not get the intent of a monkey used in that context, I even said to a mate yesterday who do you think will be the first stupid f**kwit to twitter a monkey reference to the new royal, well didn't have to wait to long.

:stupid:

I am going to assume he was making a light hearted joke and all was well meaning. However, I agree with Bender, he must have been having a proper mind-fart to not think through the connotations.

The tabloids loved commenting on her heritage and background when they were first together / married. Of COURSE there was going to be sensitivity about the issue when they had their first child. :roll:

Basically I think that he didn't mean it with any harm, but he's been sacked from the BBC twice before. This wasn't the sackable offense in it's own right but I reckon it may have been the straw the broke the camels back for his bosses.

If Farage is being dug out how is Corbyn the Antisemite and his racist side kick Diane Abbot still in thier jobs .

You know what Six, I actually agree with you! They should all be thrown out of politics and not allowed to run for political positions again.

Corbyns decimated the Labour party with Diane Abbot as his willing henchman and Farage is a con-artist who just wants his cushy MEP job back now that he's at risk of losing his income for doing f**k all.

And if you look at a chimp wearing a suit and instantly make an association with black people that surely quite revealing about your own racial prejudices..

This is something I'm quick to point out often. And it ties in with what a famous comedian had to say.

Reg D Hunter summed it up perfectly in his last stand up tour. He explained how at one show he got in trouble for using the N word despite being a black man himself. And one that is well known for making light of the race issue. One thing he said *shines* in this situation.

"It wasn't about racism, it was about privileged white peoples discomfort with the appearance of racism".

Essentially this suggests a lot of the "offended" made the association (due to being aware of it through whatever mechanism), and then reacted in outrage due to how uncomfortable it made them. In this case resulting in Danny Baker getting sacked. Because the reality of whether it was racist or not didn't matter, it was how it *could* be construed.

Which is a worry as that opens the door for a new type of prejudice, and the idea is we strive for equality, and this can't exist with prejudice in either direction.

Would I have sacked him? He would have apologised for damn sure. If the black community had an outcry I would have sacked him. But at the moment I'm not hearing that outcry. Just white people bickering over whether or not it was racist :scratch:

Ffs, at this rate, mirrors will end up being banned, because too many people will be offended by the way they look, it really is a PC ( Pathetic Crap ) sad time we live in :(

Is there any response to this topic you can give that doesn't:

A: Make you look like a racist.

or

B: Make you look like a racist pretending to be outraged so as not to appear racist.

Answers on a postcard...

or

B: Make you look like a racist pretending to be outraged so as not to appear racist.

Answers on a postcard...

Postcard? You seen a postcard on sale recently? Is someone having a pop at older folks here? I'm outraged.

But to answer the original question...no.

Danny said he's fine to be fired, because any racist act although unintentional must have consequences.

The guy is not a a racist and I agree with him all actions must have consequences. It's the same as unintentionally crashing into somebody - simple sorry doesn't cut it.

I think this sums everything up perfectly to be honest.

We kind of had a similar debate at work, the examply being that if a stranger came up to me in the street and berated me for potholes etc because they knew i work at the county council, and they then threw an egg or something at me, should I retaliate by throwing a punch back like politicians have done before? My answer was on that occasion no, because although outside of work it was known i worked at a council and I have an image of staff and the authority to uphold. It casts a bad light on the council and had I attacked someone it may be seen as sackable. It would be easier just to let the appropriate authority deal with that incident rather than me trying to leather them. My colleague disagreed so it then derailed into reasonable force which I would know about seeing as I study self defence/jiu jitsu and you have to pay for a licence, sign forms to suggest you understand the use of force and when to use it (and when to stop!)!

Had the example been a person coming up behind me unseen and grabbing me then I may have retaliated to defend myself. Anyway I digress.

Anyway I can see this from the BBC's side, there's been an outspoken presenter for the BBC and then there's been a bit of a loose cannon, even like in this case it was "accidental" (I can't quite that it myself). He's accepted the result of his misjudgement, so no point in arguing it, or comparing it to another point in time when someone OUTSIDE of the BBC said something stupid on radio.

Another side note Im sure the BBC has disclaimers to say the opinions of guests are their own and not that of the BBCs blah blah....

Ffs, at this rate, mirrors will end up being banned, because too many people will be offended by the way they look, it really is a PC ( Pathetic Crap ) sad time we live in :(

Lol that's everyone then! We are all a little bit snowflake-y really....

Hmm - there's something in your comment that doesn't add up.

It's Diane Abbott. :lol:

So it seems its only racist when one parent is mixed race, and it would be perfectly acceptable if both parents were white???

I love you Joe... But comments being offensive or not depending on a defining characteristic of the person their aimed at is Kind of the definition of prejudice.

I get your comment about we should all aim to be equal where these comments have no effect anymore. But we're not there at the moment and so they Do still have meaning.

Haha love you too gin!

But I'm 100% sure the little lad isn't offended by being portrayed as a smartly dressed chimp so it's a case of everyone getting offended on his behalf...

He has however managed three pretty good life achievements so far which none of us on here will ever achieve...

NSFW..

IMG-20190509-WA0000.thumb.jpg.a8998ebddc8b9e16e1bc29368ede8dfa.jpg

Well I for one won't be watching any more of his films .... he should know better what with all the short jokes he's had to put up with

image.thumb.jpeg.48eed2fb57fcb7c264f53c303ff789be.jpeg

few points here: Corbyn is anti-semite figurehead he never said anti-semitic comments on BBC the way Farage have done.

Two wrongs do not make one right. The fact that Corbyn is anti-semite doesn't give a free wild card to anybody including Farage to be a racist. Just saying.

My question is really simple way Romanians and Jews are fair game for the racist Farage on BBC without any consequences?

Somebody mention I don't like him hence my post. Duh...who likes racists? Except the other racists :lol:

or

Answers on a postcard...

Do you like the racist Farage? It's rhetoric question don't answer. :lol:

few points here: Corbyn is anti-semite figurehead he never said anti-semitic comments on BBC the way Farage have done.

Two wrongs do not make one right. The fact that Corbyn is anti-semite doesn't give a free wild card to anybody including Farage to be a racist. Just saying.

My question is really simple way Romanians and Jews are fair game for the racist Farage on BBC without any consequences?

Somebody mention I don't like him hence my post. Duh...who likes racists? Except the other racists :lol:

or

Answers on a postcard...

Do you like the racist Farage? It's rhetoric question don't answer. :lol:

Is Diane abbot racist in your opinion ?