Return to biking

badger636

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice really, for background information, I’m looking at getting back into biking as I really miss it! The day came that I could either only have a bike or a car, and with a young family had to choice but to choose the car really!

I haven’t ridden a bike for about 9 years now, but before then I rode for about 8 years and mainly had Kawasaki ZX6r’s and was a very confident biker. I want to get the right bike, I don’t want to get anything like a 125cc bike as I think before I know it I’ll be back to normal and will want to upgrade which I don’t want to get into that position. I’ve considered something like a CBR500R, but again it’s like half the BHP of my old bikes! Do I go back to basics, knowing I’ve been off the bike for so long, or just get a 600 and I’ll be used to it again soon. I can’t decide.... so any advice would be great! Thanks

Get a big one, when i did my CBT, after 10 mins on the bike, the instructor said to me " you've ridden before", i said yes, but over 20 years ago, he said " you can tell, it doesn't take long to for it to come back" :thumb: :cheers:

Guest Richzx6r

Tbh I'd go straight for a zx6r or something, you have ridden one before and probably won't have a problem getting straight back in to it

My mate has just got back in to bikes again after a lengthy lay off the last bike he ride was an R6 and has always had small sports bikes

He has just bought an FJR 1300! Miles bigger and heavier bike and more power! He was very nervous especially seen as though he is short and the added weight didn't help!

Once going it was like he had never been off a bike

Just a word of warning learn to walk before you can run! You may have been very confident once but returning bikers are the most likely to have a crash due to being over confident etc

Just get the bike you want to see yourself riding in a year's time and take it steady you will be OK

Not ridden one but the MT07 and MT09 or any other bike in this style and performance class just look so damned rideable . From my own impressions I would say that race reps are pretty much dead these days and the naked performance bike is very much the in thing . Hurry though before the hippy's ban petrol vehicles .https://images.app.goo.gl/y9a7aQxUYa85M9MP9

Thanks everyone for your comments, think I need to get the bike I really want don’t I from what you guys think. I think it’s more of a confidence thing, but sure once I’m out there again (taking it easy) I will soon get back on it, can’t wait!

Guest Richzx6r

Thanks everyone for your comments, think I need to get the bike I really want don’t I from what you guys think. I think it’s more of a confidence thing, but sure once I’m out there again (taking it easy) I will soon get back on it, can’t wait!

Yes...yes you do

Get a bike you can grow into not the bike you will grow out of...

:cheers:

yes that's the problem with the last two or three bikes I have had, a few years ago I always needed an excuse not to ride my bikes and as just said the past few bikes I have wanted an excuse to ride them apart from the serow, I think the problem with them has been that I bought them un road tested and then a couple of weeks later I realised I wasn't gelling with them (my fault) so my next one it certainly will be going for a run round the block :thumb:

yes that's the problem with the last two or three bikes I have had, a few years ago I always needed an excuse not to ride my bikes and as just said the past few bikes I have wanted an excuse to ride them apart from the serow, I think the problem with them has been that I bought them un road tested and then a couple of weeks later I realised I wasn't gelling with them (my fault) so my next one it certainly will be going for a run round the block :thumb:

Buy a ZX10. Plenty of power, less gear changes, power modes so you can dial it down a bit until you get back into the swing of things.

Don't mess about with another 600 - You're all grown up now, you need a man's bike :lol:

Does anyone think it’s worth me doing a back to biking course? I’ve enquired and it’s about £200, I’m thinking that’s £200 towards a bike but maybe I’m just being tight!

Does anyone think it’s worth me doing a back to biking course? I’ve enquired and it’s about £200, I’m thinking that’s £200 towards a bike but maybe I’m just being tight!

it might be.. when the reality of riding one sets in you realise its the idea of riding bikes you like and not the actual riding..

but more likely you'll be hooked and then decide to allocate more funds than you initially intended towards a better bike than you intended to buy so, either way, the 200quid wont be wasted 8-)

I'd not ridden a bike for 25 years. I bought my first bike in 1975, a Yamaha RD200, and had all sorts of machines until the early '90's.

I never really thought about biking again, but about 12 months ago, a recommended channel on YouTube came up, by Richy Vida and his tour of the USA. I watched all the episodes, and it got me thinking I should return to the fold.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I bit the bullet and walked into my local Honda dealer and booked one of their 'back to biking' courses.

It was initially a 3 hour taster, and I thought I'd be fine. I set off on a 125, and it was bossing me, if that makes sense. I wasn't happy at all, but the instructor, after about an hour or so, stopped and said he thought my riding was fine so did I want to try the 650. I told him I wasn't happy. The thing was I could relate to being an average biker back in the day, and I didn't feel any connection to how it should feel compared to how I was sort of wobbling around.

So, we went into a car park, he put me on the 650, and I spent a couple of hours driving around cones, doing U-turns, braking tests, that sort of thing. It was a superb couple of hours, which made me realise I wasn't going to fall off at the first corner.

When we got back to their centre and we had parked the bikes, he asked me how I thought the day had gone, and I said I thought I needed more time, so I booked a full day a week later.

I was confident enough to throw my leg over a 650, and we spent the day riding around North Wales. All I can say is, it was a brilliant day out. My instructor was as good as it can be, and when I got home after that ride I was on the biggest high I have had in years. I'd forgotten how wonderful riding a bike makes you feel.

I picked up my new CBR650R today, I didn't care about the rain, and I'm bouncing around tonight as much as I was a few weeks ago. I'm going to ride somewhere tomorrow, and I don't have a care where I end up.

I'm sorry this is a bit of a long first post, but biking, bloody hell, eh?

So, to the OP, just go for it. Those instructors know their stuff and fill you full of confidence.

I stopped biking in 1987 due to a small family and the need of a car to get around.

fast forward 5 years and I was no longer with the other half due to her infidelity and having moved out I decided I did not need a car just for me so I bought a bike. it was only a cb250rs, absolutely crap through town but brilliant on the open road, anyway I found I had not lost the ability to ride like I used to, as if I had never been off a bike

You’ll be fine jumping straight back on a 600, just get used to it and take some time building up your confidence, I bet after a couple of days it will be like you never had a break from riding at all :thumb: .