Mod 1 Practice area

I have a question,

I am currently practising for the Mod 1 down a train station car park using the little football cones. Now this does give me good practice in u turns etc, however I would love to use the actual same layout and size of the test but cant find anywhere big enough to use. All the industrial estates don't have open areas which could be used away from traffic or without getting turfed off by the Police.

This got me thinking, is there any actual places you can go to that has the layout for practice officialy.

Also would it be good if there was, would it get used if i could find somewhere and maybe promote it to others?

I set up practice in a Morrison’s car park after hours.

3 parking spaces is around 7 meters I believe, that worked well for U turns. I put out bottles of water at 4.5m then 6m for the slalom and figure 8.

The emergency stop I practiced on a quiet road, same for avoidance. I would ride towards a line or cover on the road and swerve to practice counter steering. At every junction I would slow early and practice slow riding.

Not exactly replicating the course but it worked for me

Outlet villages are pretty good places to practice, go during quiet times, as the car parks are usually emptier the further away from the stores, and most are marked with give way's on parts of the road system, some also have roundabouts :thumb:

I have a question,

I am currently practising for the Mod 1 down a train station car park using the little football cones. Now this does give me good practice in u turns etc, however I would love to use the actual same layout and size of the test but cant find anywhere big enough to use. All the industrial estates don't have open areas which could be used away from traffic or without getting turfed off by the Police.

This got me thinking, is there any actual places you can go to that has the layout for practice officialy.

Also would it be good if there was, would it get used if i could find somewhere and maybe promote it to others?

I’ve been hunting for possible locations also !.

Could someone post up the sizing for all the manoeuvres used in the mod 1 ?.

U turn width, slalom and figure of 8, I think I’ll be borrowing my lads football cones 😀

Al.

I set up practice in a Morrison’s car park after hours.

3 parking spaces is around 7 meters I believe, that worked well for U turns. I put out bottles of water at 4.5m then 6m for the slalom and figure 8.

The emergency stop I practiced on a quiet road, same for avoidance. I would ride towards a line or cover on the road and swerve to practice counter steering. At every junction I would slow early and practice slow riding.

Not exactly replicating the course but it worked for me

This is pretty much exactly what i have been doing, on the commute home from work, doing the E.STOP, and stopping in a give way painted area as the box, practising the stopping and pulling away for Mod 2, etc.. and down the train station with the cones.

Would love to use an area the same size and layout, but maybe its not needed, its just i am panicking a little, i have my test in under two weeks! arrrrrgghhhh

You are seriously over thinking it - BREATH! :lol: Mod 1 is a series of simple maneuvers, the size and layout is irrelevant really as you have way more space than you need to perform them. Unless you are practicing on the bike you are taking the test on its not that bigger help either as you will be learning habits that may not transfer to a different bike, balance points, lever pressure, engine revs, etc.

My advice would be make shoulder checks an automatic action, after that just ride the bike and don't look at the cones! :thumb:

You are seriously over thinking it - BREATH! :lol: Mod 1 is a series of simple maneuvers, the size and layout is irrelevant really as you have way more space than you need to perform them. Unless you are practicing on the bike you are taking the test on its not that bigger help either as you will be learning habits that may not transfer to a different bike, balance points, lever pressure, engine revs, etc.

My advice would be make shoulder checks an automatic action, after that just ride the bike and don't look at the cones! :thumb:

I know I know!! :lol:

I absolutely nail the shoulders checks, no issues there... I hate tests and cant wait for this to be all over!.. you should have seen me when I took my emergency fire appliance driving test (EFAD) and HGV test! OMG!!! :lol:

I don't do well in test situations either, I was convinced I was going to fail mod 1. It's as easy or hard as you make it, I made it hard for myself and still passed with no minors. :lol: Honestly, its not as bad as a lot of people make out. If you think you made a mistake just ignore it (as best you can) and move on. There is nothing there designed to 'catch you out', it really is just a basic skills test, albeit in a rather unnatural feeling environment.

I would recommend speaking with your local school to see if they get use of a test centre pad on a weekend? TBH though i think until you're ready to take the test you'll struggle to get in!

You need to befriend a business with an off road, concreted area like a car park really! Or do you have any abandoned runways/airfields somewhere?

Don't worry and stay calm.

What you are doing is fine, you don't need an actual coirse. Also I assume you are having a lesson the day of your MOD1. If so then your instructor will drill it into you. You will practice your arse off.

The main thing is your shoulder checks and stay calm, then ride normally. The rest will come.

Good luck.

Don't worry and stay calm.

What you are doing is fine, you don't need an actual coirse. Also I assume you are having a lesson the day of your MOD1. If so then your instructor will drill it into you. You will practice your arse off.

The main thing is your shoulder checks and stay calm, then ride normally. The rest will come.

Good luck.

Thanks, yes its over 2 days, so day one in a car park with the instructor, then day two MOD 1. Time is flying by, cant believe its only a week away now!..

Been over to the local bike shops looking at which bikes my first big boy bike will be!.. all very exciting

Thanks, yes its over 2 days, so day one in a car park with the instructor, then day two MOD 1. Time is flying by, cant believe its only a week away now!..

Been over to the local bike shops looking at which bikes my first big boy bike will be!.. all very exciting

:thumb: it is fun looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this post for others..

You don't need to layout the whole course, it would be great if you have an area large enough to, however I was doing it on a 125cc and when you do it on a larger bike, its 10 times easier.

Just find a train station car park, layout some cones task by task.

You can then practice the emergency stops on quiet country roads.