Thinking of buying a project bike...

dynax

seriously considering buying a restoration project, nothing bigger than a 125, but what would people suggest, older bikes 70's,80's, or something under 10-15 years old, looking to pay up to around £300 max less would be better :thumb:

seriously considering buying a restoration project, nothing bigger than a 125, but what would people suggest, older bikes 70's,80's, or something under 10-15 years old, looking to pay up to around £300 max less would be better :thumb:

You can have my Aprilia RS125 but I'd like a bit more than £ 300 . Needs a lot of work but it starts easily and runs nicely .

IMG_20190419_182309059.thumb.jpg.ca01a1d95465f6d0d26f9d61c44692e2.jpg

If you've got the mechanical abilities, tools and the facilities to do it, go for it.

I took on a resto project years ago, it took so long in Mrs Smithers eyes that she threatened me with divorce if I didn't get rid of it so she could have more space in the garage to put a freezer in. If only I'd taken her up on it. :bang:

Cheers for the offer Bob, but my top end limit is £300, but ideally would like to spend nearer £200 if possible, also won't be anytime soon, looking at a winter time project, and depends what i can get for my boat that i am going to sell, that will fund the purchase :cheers:

Project bikes seem to go for more than £300 though. I've done a couple of cars as restorations, great fun but you never get back what they cost you. You have to see the money as buying you something to enjoy rather than as an investment.

Even tatty old CGs go for a fair bit these days.

Project bikes seem to go for more than £300 though. I've done a couple of cars as restorations, great fun but you never get back what they cost you. You have to see the money as buying you something to enjoy rather than as an investment.

Even tatty old CGs go for a fair bit these days.

This is true, but i have quite a lot of tools and equipment, i can weld,spray, and fabricate, and at a push i can use my wood lathe for metal turning and polishing, the only addition i would consider getting would be a parts washer, just a matter of biding my time until the right one turns up, at a push i might be able to get around £400 for the boat, but that needs a bit of work doing to it too, but just too big to handle on my own, not the work, the boat itself :lol: :cheers:

Buying the bike is one thing, you need to consider the budget for the restoration aswell, costs can add up quickly even if you are not doing it to showròm condition.

I've almost finished my Honda SS125 ,I dread to think how much I've spent must be well over £500 but I only paid £35 for it many years ago.

Some sample costs;

Shot blasting and powder coating;£125

Paint; £60

Spraying; £50 (done as a favour)

Exhaust downpipes £25 (another favour)

Silencers ; £120

Wheel rims and spokes ; £45

Clutch springs,brake shoes,rear light,indicators,bulbs,exhaust brackets,mirrors,number plate,shocks,stickers,battery,more paint,fasteners etc etc etc.

And David Silver will be having an extra large Xmas dinner this year thanks to what ive thrown his way.

Luckily the engine was ok , just needed a spruce up and I'll get away with the tyres,chain and sprockets for now.

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but make you realise the costs before it turns into an unfinished project. :thumb: