Newbie with medical issues looking for advice on cbt day

Hi all first time poster here and looking for advice. I'm looking to take my cbt and get mobile n really looking forward to getting on a bike and the freedom etc. My worries are that I have stomach , anxiety issues that plague my life ie needing the toilet frequently and at very short notice. I've been meaning to book my cbt for weeks now but am worried that the centre where I live wont be helpful with my needs. I don't want to cause issues for anyone and if I need to pay more for one on one fair enough. Has anyone had similar experiences or able to give me advice on how they got through the cbt day etc. Any advice would be great.

Hi all first time poster here and looking for advice. I'm looking to take my cbt and get mobile n really looking forward to getting on a bike and the freedom etc. My worries are that I have stomach , anxiety issues that plague my life ie needing the toilet frequently and at very short notice. I've been meaning to book my cbt for weeks now but am worried that the centre where I live wont be helpful with my needs. I don't want to cause issues for anyone and if I need to pay more for one on one fair enough. Has anyone had similar experiences or able to give me advice on how they got through the cbt day etc. Any advice would be great.

Hi, can I ask that when you suffer with your anxiety and need the toilet, yes you actually go but if you're distracted then you don't? (hope that question reads right)

The reason why I ask, is I have been suffering from anxiety since I was 25 years old (now 41), and it all started with the toilet thing, when I was in the fire service, So I would go to the toilet just before line up, and literally 10 seconds into line up I would be desperate for the toilet again!!! As soon as we were out of line up and then doing the checks on the Fire engines I was fine until I was in another situation"

The CBT is very relaxed and there will be plenty of opportunity to feel relaxed (i.e. chances to go to toilet)

If you want to talk private about the CBT and ways to hanlde it, please feel free to PM me.

Hi ya thanks for the reply. Its a Physical set of issues inc ibs and bowel incontinence. Not nice but part of me and cant really hide it. I've been pretty much a hermit for the last 20 years am 38 now. I am seeing this as a chance to make a new life for myself and need it to get into work or education with a fresh start. The anxiety kicks in due that I panic knowing I might well have an accident or when I am close to one. Hence wanting info on the cbt. The worst part is the 2 hour ride and not wanting to inconvenience anyone or waste others time.

Have you got a full car licence, or are you starting as a new learner/driver, the reason i ask, is it might help to get a 50cc geared bike, and get used to riding, you can then practice at your leisure what you do on the CBT, the CBT is mainly to let the instructor know that you are safe to ride on the road, and can handle riding in different situations :thumb:

Hey ya thanks. Only have a provisional and looking at getting a 125 maxi scooter or something like the YBR naked or custom. Id like to do longer trips eventually as most of my family and friends are a long distance away. Sort answer to the last poster the later. Its not a nice subject and apologies but I wasnt sure where to look for advice.

I don’t know what to suggest , it could get messy though .

Should imagine you’ve looked into medication , can your doctor not help ?

Where are you based, have a look for some instructors, i phoned around a few near me, as i initially wanted to do mine over 2 days, morning one day, then the road work on the second, and as i phoned around i found one that could do it over 2 days and was £40 cheaper than anywhere else, but i managed to get it done in one day, but if you phone around and explain your situation, most will be able to help :thumb:

Thanks am around the Mansfield West Notts area. Thanks for all the help too. Seen so many vids and wait to get get on the road n enjoying things. Is it also worth getting the bike before the cbt and how do people feel about going online to get a bike without viewing it first. Have seen a few good ones on autotrader but have no idea if its a good idea or not. Will only go to dealers though. Am on meds for the condition but not always work thats the fear really. I just need to know if others have been the same or how the centres treat people with disabilities.

Most people would recommend doing CBT first, then have a look at bikes, but you also need to take into account the insurance costs, which can be more than the price of the bike, and don't forget to budget for clothing and a helmet, i had a budget of £3600, for everything, i ended up at closer to £4300, but i saw a bike that i had to have, and i bought that first, then had to shop around for insurance, then i got my helmet and clothing, then i did the CBT, completely back to front to the way it is usually done, but it worked for me :lol:

On reflection, you might be in a better position to your DAS, and i think the majority of members, would probably say that would be the best way forward for you :thumb:

Thanks for all the advice with everything and the great number of posters. I have a budget of around £2.5k for the bike Max. I have the clothing and have had insurance quotes of about 260 to 500 + a few hundred excess on fully comp thats also on factored into my savings in addition to the bike. To the poster in Mansfield are there any clubs or anything about that I could get involved in do you know?.

To the poster in Mansfield are there any clubs or anything about that I could get involved in do you know?.s

Na......it's like a desert for clubs around here :(

As someone that also suffers badly with the same issues, relax, plan and always keep an Imodium in your phone case / wallet for when it gets bad.

I know how much it can ruin your life and prevent wanting to go out, but honestly the best thing you can do is tell it how it is, embrace it and be prepared for a worst case senario.

I carry a pack of immodium, toilet roll in my rucksack everywhere I go. Then a spare change of clothes in a bin bag in the motor. Your right it’s not nice, it’s embarrassing and can really make simple things hard as people do not understand. I can be perfectly fine, hit traffic and realise I’m ‘stuck’ then boom, got to go.

End of the day everyone’s fighting a battle / dealing with something you know nothing about, ours is just abit more mucky but I’ll be f**ked if I let it rule my life more than it already does.

Hello! As an addition to the advice posted already, if the first place you contact seem unhelpful or stuffy don't get down - call somewhere else!!! Most bike schools are very helpful but there are a few bad eggs, I'd hate for you to get disheartened before you get started!

Thanks everyone I really do appreciate the help and advice. Will contact the local centre and see what they say. Fingers crossed I can venture out and enjoy more of what the country has to offer. I also hope others in the future that are worried about theses issues can find the thread and feel more at ease themselves. I do look online in many places but have found little support or information.

may i add as someone that suffers from crohn's disease i know where your coming from. as others have said have an emergency kit when i knew i would facing a possible stressful situation alter my diet to include lots of high fibre. but the most important thing is to relax and enjoy the day also if an oops moment happens then so what it can't be helped as worring about it just adds to stress levels which would make it more likely to happen so again relax and enjoy the day

Oh hello from Lincolnshire :)

I would say give instructors in your area a call and ask them about their facilities, or go take a look around for yourself :)

I suffer with the kind of anxiety which leaves me glued to the loo for a couple of days before the event, but once i get going im ok. MY CBT was no different, i was petrified until i sat on the bike and suddenly all my focus was on the bike and not my irrationality (or bowels!).

Having never ridden before, i did a two day. day one was on a 110cc scooter, that was easy and fun, loved that. Day two was the motorbike. Found that harder but figured it all out eventually!

Now I go all over on my full licence bike without the horrid physical symptoms before i get on! :D you can do it :bike2: