On off throttle

Guest Richzx6r

Guest Richzx6r

So riding the bike today and 2nd gear on off throttle seems very snatchy and harsh when going from zero throttle to just starting to accelerate or when trying to hold a steady speed say 25 to 30/35 mph to me it would maybe point at a carb balance issue or would you guys point me in a different direction to the cause of the problem?

Check chain slack, a loose chain(way over the limit) will snatch when you roll the power on/off, next could be cush drivers, and/or TPS.

Guest Richzx6r

Chain is correctly adjusted, with the throttle there is maybe 4 or 5 degrees movement between totally off and when the revs start to rise

One possible explanation for this type of behaviour can be worn emulsion tubes . Where the needle enters the jet the round hole can wear and become oval . The trouble is that this is so slight that it can be very difficult to see with the naked eye . I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but it's worth considering if you can't find any more obvious causes. One way of checking is to pop the tops off the carbs , lift out the diaphragms and use your phone to take a close up shot of the hole then see if the picture looks oval .

Guest Richzx6r

One possible explanation for this type of behaviour can be worn emulsion tubes . Where the needle enters the jet the round hole can wear and become oval . The trouble is that this is so slight that it can be very difficult to see with the naked eye . I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but it's worth considering if you can't find any more obvious causes. One way of checking is to pop the tops off the carbs , lift out the diaphragms and use your phone to take a close up shot of the hole then see if the picture looks oval .

That hadn't even crossed my mind, I shall keep it in the back of my mind if I can't see anything else easier that could be the problem, I have a feeling its play at the grip that's at fault

• 2 weeks later...

Might be excess play in the throttle cable.

Been ages since I had a ninja so maybe they got the fly by wire now.?

Could try 3rd or 4th at 30mph if you are just pottering around-2nd seems a little low as you only need about 4 bhp so throttle responce would be a lot smoother.

Guest Richzx6r

Might be excess play in the throttle cable.

Been ages since I had a ninja so maybe they got the fly by wire now.?

Could try 3rd or 4th at 30mph if you are just pottering around-2nd seems a little low as you only need about 4 bhp so throttle responce would be a lot smoother.

I thought excessive cable play but it's only 4 or 5 degrees of play on the throttle.

2nd gear is only 4 to 5 thou rpm so not overly high and 3rd is closer to 3 thou which the bike doesn't seem to enjoy