First big bike for old timer.

fifthwheel

Hi all, repeating I suppose what must have been asked before, looking for advice for first bike after hopefully passing my test.

Really green when it comes to bikes but would like a cruiser style bike with a bit of performance around £4000.

As an old timer I dont really like the look of modern sports bikes prefer Honda Pan Honda Shadow etc boring I know but thats how I am.

Looking for a bike as light as possible with a bit of go. does such a thing exist?

Dont mind what age I buy I would be buying on condition. Would love a Wing but too heavy for me. Thanks John.

Your right about the same question being asked before. That doesn’t mean though it’s not valid to ask still... 8-)

If you want something lightweight, I would suggest going for a younger bike. Modern bikes are usually built with modern materials making them lighter. I can’t offer much advice about performance but after reading your post, I’m thinking something along the lines of Honda Crossrunner or Crosstourer. These are more “adventure” style bikes so not quite the cruiser you maybe after.

You seem to have a healthy budget aswell so maybe find your local dealers and go sit on a few to see how they feel.

Edited by Troy

Cruiser and light don't really go together, mine is a 125cc and weighs in at 172kg, the only thing i can suggest is have a look around, and try some for size, sitting on them, and feeling their weight and balance, will give you some idea, good luck, and hope you get what you want :thumb: :cheers:

I have a BMW r80rt (boxer) which is big and heavy so this year I bought a 09 BMW f800st not much lighter but the weight is lower down making it easier to handle as I am getting on a bit myself jem

I’m selling my 2012 er6f - not a cruiser but a sports tourer, got more than enough poke without the super sport uncomfort

Asking 3k so well with your budget - 2 keys, FSH, 11 months MOT, 2 tyres with about 400 miles on them

FA5D6444-DD9A-4303-92F1-FB8FF9525B3E.thumb.png.d3adedc76809c3836ff9e268fc3852ba.png

F7E2C56B-2DD5-4890-B639-59E8A3408F04.thumb.png.c427bde5cd3282c8c99fad7cc8af6dec.png

• 2 weeks later...

BMW F800GT. Plenty of poke, comfy, low seat readily available, and no chain to worry about, so regular oiling required. 40- 60Kilos lighter than most of boxer variants.

There's no such thing as boring with bikes - what you like is what you like.

Don't be pressured to get anything you're not sure of cos it might be faster, or more cool etc.

As has been said, trawl your local dealers (franchised and independent), take your time to find what suits you.

You mind find that that a scooter or one of those 3wheel jobbies ticks all your boxes.

And as has been said a number of times, you might have to go through owning 3 or 4 bikes before you find something you're completely comfortable with.

• 11 months later...

An update to an old thread, I bought a 2003 Fazer 600 12500 genuine miles in go faster red.

Fantastic bike I am over the moon with it.

Plenty fast enough for an old timer but as light as it is I do sometimes struggle with the weight.

Bought in January this year I have done 300/400 miles on it, and am gradually getting used to it.

I changed the clutch plates this week as the cable had run out of adjustment at the lever and was

making the clutch slip sometimes.

After changing the plates I realised the cable was adjustable at both ends and didn't need a new clutch at all.

(senior moment Doh) After setting the correct biting point for me I went to the local shop to try it,

after leaving the shop half a mile down the road I realised I hadn't put on my specs.

I pulled into a lay by. put the specs on then cocky as you like set off, I stalled the bike due to the biting point being different (thats my excuse) and bang dropped the bike!

The nose cone is cracked and the exhaust scuffed. I cant believe what ive done and am totally pissed off, it was almost a mint bike. That was this week, last week I was taking a left bend around 40/45 and after gaining a bit of confidence I was leaning the bike more than I have before and heard a hell of a scrapping noise from the road and felt it through the bike.

I swear it wasn't the foot peg as I am a long way from riding like that I just dont have the confidence, I would never lean as far as that I haven't got the bottle.

I came home and asked my son to lean the bike so I could see what had been scuffed, we couldnt see any sign of anything that could have contacted the road. The centre stand has a good strong spring. The only other thing I could think of was a chipping had been thrown up into the front drive sprocket and had been chewed up, I took the cover off but no sign of granite stone dust in there. This has got me beat as I didnt feel anything in my foot from the peg as I heard the noise.

My confidence has been knocked a bit as I am now cornering far too slow thinking it will happen again, Maybe I should sell it and buy a Honda 50 :D

Well done on getting the Fazer, they're a great bike. Definitely not light but they are nimble. The only way to get your confidence up is more time in the saddle. If you're nervous you could go out when it's quiet and go at your own pace. Keep at it everyday and you're confidence will build. Or you could do a few lessons with an instructor that would help a lot too. Keep at it is the main thing don't give up. Everyone is nervous at the start.

The only thing that could scrape the ground is the foot pegs. You would have to be going at a good pace to do that. Is there any chance you had your side stand down? The bike should turn off if the stand is down and it's is in gear but sometimes people bypass the side stand switch if it's giving trouble which mean you can ride off with the stand down, then when you lean into the first corner it hits the ground. You could test it by starting the bike, pull the clutch in, put it in first gear, then put the side stand down. The bike should cut out. If it does cut out the side stand safety is working.

Well done on getting the Fazer, they're a great bike. Definitely not light but they are nimble. The only way to get your confidence up is more time in the saddle. If you're nervous you could go out when it's quiet and go at your own pace. Keep at it everyday and you're confidence will build. Or you could do a few lessons with an instructor that would help a lot too. Keep at it is the main thing don't give up. Everyone is nervous at the start.

The only thing that could scrape the ground is the foot pegs. You would have to be going at a good pace to do that. Is there any chance you had your side stand down? The bike should turn off if the stand is down and it's is in gear but sometimes people bypass the side stand switch if it's giving trouble which mean you can ride off with the stand down, then when you lean into the first corner it hits the ground. You could test it by starting the bike, pull the clutch in, put it in first gear, then put the side stand down. The bike should cut out. If it does cut out the side stand safety is working.

Side and centre stand working as they should the switches do as they were intended. As I said before its more than I dare to lean the bike at that angle, its a complete mystery to me. The only other thing that comes to mind is this was before I changed the clutch plates and the noise was clutch slip. When the clutch has slipped before the engine has revved but no noise from the plates. I really am clutching at straws here. (no pun intended) Thanks for the reply, john.

There is only one more explanation I can think of, I have been getting used to counter steering.

I find its helping me a lot with my cornering, Before counter steering I was leaning my body at roughly the same angle as the bike.

Since practising with it I find I am cornering quicker and with more confidence, I find however

I am leaning the bike more but I tend to still be sitting more upright than maybe I should.

Perhaps the bike was over enough to catch the peg and I didn't realise as I wasn't at the same angle.

Am I talking complete crap here trying to explain it to myself. The noise was loud and I should have felt it through

my boot but didnt. john.