The long and whingeing road

Well, fellow bikers, time for an update, once again after a gap of many months.

I decided a couple of months ago not to pursue my big bike licence any further.

Several things to say about this. Firstly, I know I can ride a bigger bike. I went to a highly recommended instructor who is the first one who has trusted me on the road on a CBR 500. He gave me a few lessons on the Mod 1 test pad, and then decided I'd benefit from riding on the roads, so I could remember why I was actually doing it. That was so good. Three lessons on the roads before winter closed in, country lanes, A roads and congested town roads. I could do it, and it was fun. I made mistakes, but he believed in me.

However, over the next couple of months I had a good think about why I wanted to get on a bigger bike. Firstly it was because I had this belief that it's what everybody is supposed to do. Secondly it was because I'd bought a lovely Suzuki TU 250X, very low mileage, at a bargain price, which I was hoping to ride. Of course I had to pass on at least a 500cc to be able to do this.

My original and continuing problem is that I just cannot cope in a test situation. I have tried everything from herbal stress-reducing tablets to hypnotherapy, and nothing has worked. As soon as I start attempting the Mod 1 manoeuvres I stiffen up like Pinocchio before he became a real boy, and I just can't do it.

My lessons were becoming too stressful to enjoy or to benefit from, even though I had a 100% brilliant instructor.

So, I decided to stop throwing good money after bad - especially as by now I had retired and couldn't afford it.

Back to why I wanted a bigger bike. 1, to keep up.with my husband. 2, to get up hills without holding up the traffic behind me. 3, to have the power to get through a junction or roundabout when there is other traffic on the road.

All of this has been achieved on a 125. I have sold the Suzuki and bought myself a brand new bike, the first new vehicle I have ever had. It's a Honda CB125F, and I love it, and most importantly, I feel that a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders because I never have to do another test. My bike will get me up to legal limits. Every ride does not now have to feel like a practice or just marking time until my next lesson/test.

Most importantly, it has been my own choice. I know I can handle a bigger bike. I just can't do tests. And that's fine, because it's supposed to be fun.

20190506_203436.thumb.jpg.fcb906cbbcdc737f94cd873ae46d0116.jpg' alt='20190506_203436.thumb.jpg.fcb906cbbcdc737f94cd873ae46d0116.jpg'>

The journey is only yours :) never feel pressured to do something just because others have!

I bet you'll find a lot of 125 groups out there where there are people who can ride 'big' bikes perfectly fine but enjoy their 125s.

Also the bonuses of 125 - cheaper to tax, decent fuel consumption, generally lighter to move around or pick up if you drop it, and are exactly what you want too - a bit of fun! :) :thumb:

Edited by elizabethf

It is nice to hear someme else enjoying a 125 as much as me :thumb:

As for the big bike test… there has been chatter for a while on them changing it to be less of a test and more a constant assessment (bit like CBT) for passing. So maybe in future you'll get it without having to sit a test.

As for the big bike test… there has been chatter for a while on them changing it to be less of a test and more a constant assessment (bit like CBT) for passing. So maybe in future you'll get it without having to sit a test.

They've been saying that for a while, Arwen, but it ain't going to happen. DVLA are making too much money from all those tests for them to stop them. It's a shame because I would very much have liked to get on my lovely old 250, which was actually lower and lighter than the bike I have now or my CG125, but sometimes you just have to know when to stop.

I have my Mod 1 & Mod 2 test booked over the next 2 weeks, and if I pass yes I intend to get a bigger bike, however the journey on the 125 has been amazing, I have a 20 mile commute to work through back lane country roads, and combining riding and this weather we are experiencing actually makes me arrive to work feeling like a million dollars!.. I have literally never been happier in life!

The fact I have a 125 means nothing, like someone says above, "It's your journey", this is so true. Just because you choose to take a different path to someone else does not mean you will be less happy or your doing it wrong!.

125's rock!! :cheers:

When i was out and about yesterday, i nipped to Sainsbury's, had loads of people complimenting the bike on how it looks etc, they could not believe it was a 125 :lol:

Won't lie as much as I love riding I hated every second of my MODs. Getting that final pass was just relief rather than happiness! lol.

I cant wait for the mods to be over.. so much on my mind at the moment about trying to get through it all. Like the Theory, all the revision, and now the hours of watching Mod 1 & 2 videos on youtube.

Also another thing I have been very obsessed with is riding like I have an examiner behind me ALL the time. OSL PSL...OSL PSL...OSL PSL :D as I don't want to pick up and dirty habits while riding. Cant wait just to ride and enjoy!

Won't lie as much as I love riding I hated every second of my MODs. Getting that final pass was just relief rather than happiness! lol.

Quite. You get people saying "Oh joy, I am so happy," and all I felt was relief that it was all over.

I bet the examiner did, too. He'd failed me twice and probably just wanted to see the back of me.

I did mine in 2000 so it was before they had all this Mod stuff, just theory and practical but I totally relate, love riding, hated riding for the test!.

Guest Richzx6r

I was actually really chilled on my mods in 2009, I just rode slowly and did everything I thought I should slightly exaggerated so the examiner wouldn't miss something and passes with 1 minor

If only I'd wanted to learn years ago. Even just a few years earlier.

My advice , give it another go , you can ride a bike , your half way there.... as for the nerves just have a few glasses of wine to calm yourself before test :thumb:

I loved my CB125F and only sold it to help find the striple. Otherwise I would have definitely kept it. I was still using it to commute to the station right up till the day it went.

Biking is biking, as long as there are two wheels. Enjoy.

[quote name=Six30 post_id=1089390

My advice ' date=' give it another go , you can ride a bike , your half way there.... as for the nerves just have a few glasses of wine to calm yourself before test :thumb:

[/quote]

No. No more tests, ever.

My advice ' date=' give it another go , you can ride a bike , your half way there.... as for the nerves just have a few glasses of wine to calm yourself before test :thumb:

[/quote]

No. No more tests, ever.

I think [mention]Six30[/mention] has the right idea. A lad I went to college with was so anxious about taking his driving test that he took acid beforehand. He wrote off his instructors car by stuffing it into a Mr Kipling lorry. But a couple of years later I saw him riding one of those big council mowing machines in a huge cloud of weed smoke.

I have no idea what point it is I'm trying to make. :lol:

[/quote]

No. No more tests, ever.

I think @Six30 has the right idea. A lad I went to college with was so anxious about taking his driving test that he took acid beforehand. He wrote off his instructors car by stuffing it into a Mr Kipling lorry. But a couple of years later I saw him riding one of those big council mowing machines in a huge cloud of weed smoke.

[/qu[mention]Six30[/menti[mention]Six30[/mention] Me neither and I'm pissed

[/quote]

No. No more tests, ever.

I think @Six30 has the right idea. A lad I went to college with was so anxious about taking his driving test that he took acid beforehand. He wrote off his instructors car by stuffing it into a Mr Kipling lorry. But a couple of years later I saw him riding one of those big council mowing machines in a huge cloud of weed smoke.

They do make exceedingly good cakes :thumb:

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear. It's not the bike that's the problem. It's the test situation. I can ride a bigger bike. I cannot cope with tests, and that is not going to change at my age.

It's probably a miracle that I even passed on a 125. I have a morbid and pathological fear of tests and exams. I know it's ridiculous and irrational, but it is what it is.

Biking is supposed to be fun, and the thought of any more tests takes all the fun away.

If they ever implement the suggestion that has been made of issuing a big bike licence after a course of training, with no formal test at the end of it, that might help, but somehow I doubt it because being assessed is stressful, too.

This is also why I am never going to do a Bikesafe course. I cannot tolerate any more assessments or critiquing, however tactfully done, however constructive the criticism. I know I can ride safely and I enjoy what I do now. Perhaps if I'd started 20 or 30 years earlier I would have found it easier (and of course the test was easier then anyway).

So thank you to those kind people who have said "you never know". I do know, and it ain't gonna happen.

But thank you for the encouragement.

Out of curiosity how do you feel when doing the CBT? I know its not a test as such but it is a similar environment. Having to redo and payout +£80 every 2 years would be motivation to pass my test :lol:

Do what works for you though. It's all that matters in the end :cheers: