Free and clear from tests :D

I am mostly a lurker on here but have found the information extremely valuable.

My introduction to motorbikes was done on a whim, early February I booked my self in for the theory test in a bid to coerce my mother back into the world of driving.

I studied for three days, passed the theory.

Having never been on a motorbike I thought I should give it a bash so signed up for the CBT, the first school was awful so I took a lesson at another school between the first day and the resit of the CBT. Got on great at the other school, finished the CBT and was glad to see the back of them.

Rode around on our Kawasaki Eliminator 125 which is a great little bike and decided to go for DAS.

One assessment lesson on a 125, they determined I only need a short or ‘advanced’ course which was 14 hours

I booked on and got started, three two hour lessons on a 125 to get my riding up to par then four two hour lessons on a Yamaha MT07.

Passed the Mod one with one minor a few weeks ago, failed my first Mod 2 with a stupid mistake.

Passed Mod 2 yesterday with only four minors at Shieldhall in Glasgow which is the second lowest pass rate in Britain so I am very pleased to say the least.

All in, it took me from the start of February to the 16th of may.

Well worth it but very glad it is over with

Congrats shadow.

What school in Glasgow did you use, and can you recommend them ?.

Are you going out to buy a bigger bike or sticking with the 125 a bit longer ?

Al

Congrats shadow.

What school in Glasgow did you use, and can you recommend them ?.

Are you going out to buy a bigger bike or sticking with the 125 a bit longer ?

Al

I used Ride On in Renfrew. I can’t recommend them enough, they were fully flexible and their package included pre test ride and bike hire for the test.

So my 14 hour package, was 14 hours of lessons where as I originally presumed the tests were included in that time. I was pleasantly surprised the tests did not deduct from on bike lesson time.

There instructors are excellent and all bike close to brand new.

The 125 is my wife’s, it’s low and comfy so perfect for her as she has no big bike aspirations. I found it invaluable for learning.

As for me, Ride On just happen to have a Daytona 675 in stock they are kindly going to allow me to test ride and should I purchase I have already spoke to them about follow up lessons on my new bike.

And yes I have heard the cause for concern for a first bike but this is purely a few times a month hobby to play with, polish and put away and the Daytona’s are gorgeous

On the slightly less sporty side I am also going to test a CBR650F in white and red

I used ride on myself for the CBT.

I find them a little pricey, eg £999 for 23 hour DAS training, I think 17 hours is £720.

I also seen that Daytona, it looks amazing, I popped in the other day, I quite fancy the white MT 07 in white, the seat height suits me better 😀

Al

I’m shopping around at the moment for DAS training, also I’ve heard the shieldhall test centre are tough.

Al

The shorter course around £700 I initially thought was expensive but what I found was other schools were cheaper but their prices didn’t include test days. So you had to pay extra for bike hire on test days, where as Ride On you get all your lessons, then for no extra cost mock Mod 1 at the training centre and both test days.

The other schools by the time they tag them on end up more expensive I found.

I loved the MT07, excellent bikes.

The test centre is tough because of its location but the examiners were excellent. I had different guys for Mod 1 and 2 and both were personable and set me at ease. I never felt rushed or like they were trying to catch me out

Guest Richzx6r

The shorter course around £700 I initially thought was expensive but what I found was other schools were cheaper but their prices didn’t include test days. So you had to pay extra for bike hire on test days, where as Ride On you get all your lessons, then for no extra cost mock Mod 1 at the training centre and both test days.

The test centre is tough because of its location but the examiners were excellent. I had different guys for Mod 1 and 2 and both were personable and set me at ease. I never felt rushed or like they were trying to catch me out

Looks like you had some good experiences there, wish more were like that

Looks like you had some good experiences there, wish more were like that

The first school I went to almost ruined biking for me, I am very glad I tried another.

It is concerning how many horror stories I have heard

The entire process is nerve wracking enough without having to deal with a poor school

Thank you for the comments

As much as it was fun learning to ride, did anyone else find it mentally exhausting at some points? In my case it was four months start to finish.

Maybe it’s my OCD kicking in one time to many but obsessing over U turns, techniques, practice, Highway Code, studying bus lanes etc etc

I found my self tired after a while.

I am extremely relieved and happy it’s over to move on but I would be in no rush to go through that again