Picking usernames

Guest Richzx6r

"This name refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a significant industry in rural England, with Wiltshire lying on the smugglers' secret routes between the south coast and customers in the centre of the country.[2] The story goes that some local people had hidden contraband barrels of French brandy from customs officers in a village pond. While trying to retrieve it at night, they were caught by the revenue men, but explained themselves by pointing to the moon's reflection and saying they were trying to rake in a round cheese. The revenue men, thinking they were simple yokels, laughed at them and went on their way. But, as the story goes, it was the moonrakers who had the last laugh. In the words of Wiltshire shepherd William Little who recounted the story to writer John Yonge Akerman: “ Zo the excizeman ’as ax’d ’n the question ’ad his grin at ’n,…but they’d a good laugh at ’ee when ’em got whoame the stuff.”

I'm from Wiltshire... and that paragraph is from Wikipedia :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

"This name refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a significant industry in rural England, with Wiltshire lying on the smugglers' secret routes between the south coast and customers in the centre of the country.[2] The story goes that some local people had hidden contraband barrels of French brandy from customs officers in a village pond. While trying to retrieve it at night, they were caught by the revenue men, but explained themselves by pointing to the moon's reflection and saying they were trying to rake in a round cheese. The revenue men, thinking they were simple yokels, laughed at them and went on their way. But, as the story goes, it was the moonrakers who had the last laugh. In the words of Wiltshire shepherd William Little who recounted the story to writer John Yonge Akerman: “ Zo the excizeman ’as ax’d ’n the question ’ad his grin at ’n,…but they’d a good laugh at ’ee when ’em got whoame the stuff.”

Sounds very farmer like

Sounds very farmer like

Tis what Wiltshire be like :thumb:

I think this foruum sometimes confuses mine OneSea started on a play on a house number 1c.

I always figured it was appropriate for some one who has spent longer playing on boats than bikes...

Guest Richzx6r

I think this foruum sometimes confuses mine OneSea started on a play on a house number 1c.

I always figured it was appropriate for some one who has spent longer playing on boats than bikes...

I thought it was because you like wearing onesies :mrgreen:

Guest Richzx6r

Mine is a complete fabrication, as my real name is Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling, and I thought you'd all take the piss.

IMG_1679.JPG

Us.....take the piss?? Hahahahahaha you must have us wrong

Mines my name (kelly) and my nickname. (Bam(bi))

Its not been bambi for a long time, tbf, and thats coz i fall over alot, its usually just bam.... which my scottish friends take great delight in lol

Guest Richzx6r

Its not been bambi for a long time, tbf, and thats coz i fall over alot, its usually just bam.... which my scottish friends take great delight in lol

Well from now on you are bambi to us :thumb:

Oh well, i'm wrong, i thought you could have been called Mable :lol:

Mine came from my stag do,

we all had T shirts, our nick names had to either start with the first letter of your first name or the first letter of your surname.

So mine was Epic Earl, I wanted to go for Enormous Earl (coz it was funny, well to me lol) but Epic was decided, its become a nickname

ever since, with close friends calling me Epic now

Well now. I initially joined the forum as 'MidLifeBiker' because I am in my 50's and ride!

A few years ago we went to an interesting cafe meet somewhere where the cafe was shut when we arrived! Remember that Stu, Bob? lol

Anyway, another forum member, Shorty, was there, ... what happened to Shorty I noticed he's not on here now? Shorty started calling me Hong Kong Phooey because of my involvement with martial arts ... name change to Phooey!

A few years ago we went to an interesting cafe meet somewhere where the cafe was shut when we arrived! Remember that Stu, Bob? lol

Ah yes one job Bob was born wasn't it [mention]Tango[/mention] :lol:

As for shorty maybe [mention]Gerontious[/mention] could explain it...

Guest Richzx6r

Ah yes one job Bob was born wasn't it @Tango :lol:

As for shorty maybe @Gerontious could explain it...

Did he grow?

That's the one lol

Something I shouldn't be asking then!

Guest Richzx6r

That's the one lol

Something I shouldn't be asking then!

Iv not heard of shorty

Iv not heard of shorty

That is hardly surprising as he vanished in a puff of angst years ago after getting just a bit tired of the constant sniping from a habitually immature and terminally oversensitive forum member who couldn't cope with being told he was wrong about something unimportant. (it happens)

As with most internet forums there is a conveyor belt of idiots and jerks that come and go. my mistake was not realising what i was dealing with and trying to be helpful.

Im far more careful nowadays.

Anyway.. shorty who wasnt short. became Gerontious who also isn't short. and who has managed to resist this thread

anyway... AS I'M HERE.

Gerontious is a made up word (I added a surreptitious letter) and extraordinarily inappropriate for a motorbike forum.

Its roots are Latinised/Greek (via TS Elliot) for "little old man" cause I'm faux intellectual-like.

Im not little... and Im only vaguely old. in a vague kinda way.

Im also having a Hennessey crisis.. which explains a lot.