Just witnessed horrific motorbike crash

workpeter

Happened right here where that red car is. must of happened about 30 seconds before i got there judging by traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7246576,-2.4439755,3a,75y,297.73h,72.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_jXbmEKFlr71U0Qfd0NmMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The motorbike was going in the direction heading towards the roundabout. He was lying middle of the road unconscious, helmet still on. bike destroyed.

Im guessing he rear-ended someone.

:(

Edited by workpeter

Hopefully people were dealing with the incident ?

btw unconscious and helmet on are not a good combination ...

i would urge all to attend either a

First bike on scene or Biker Down first aid course .

Those skills will make a huge difference to someone's life one day .

Hopefully people were dealing with the incident ?

btw unconscious and helmet on are not a good combination ...

:stupid:

Recently did a Biker Down course and they're so worth doing!

Hope there were people stopped and helping at the scene...

Although all out hearts go out to the victim and his or her family , I am unsure of your purpose in bringing this to the attention of the forum . EDIT : I would also add that posting the estimated time and exact location of a road traffic collision on an international forum and then speculating that the victim ran into the back of a stationary vehicle may not be helpful if an investigation takes place .

The nature of the beast, it might be shocking, but not unexpected, when you go out on a bike, you have to accept it might be your last ride, accept that death is hovering above,waiting for you, so just go out and enjoy it, when it's your time, it's your time :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

The nature of the beast, it might be shocking, but not unexpected, when you go out on a bike, you have to accept it might be your last ride, accept that death is hovering above,waiting for you, so just go out and enjoy it, when it's your time, it's your time :thumb:

Why go out in a well preserved body I want to go out backwards in a cloud of fire in a body thats been used and abused because hey you can't take it with you.....

This this this! having the knowledge and confidence to remove a helmet is a skill worth having, it can literally save a life.

It's also FREE. Google a course near you. Do it.

This this this! having the knowledge and confidence to remove a helmet is a skill worth having, it can literally save a life.

It's also FREE. Google a course near you. Do it.

I'm now on 2 waiting lists and no sign of a course in the near future.

Would it be worth having a sticky somewhere, with links to various biker down training centres around the country :cheers:

do the work and one of us mods can make it sticky :thumb:

Would it be worth having a sticky somewhere, with links to various biker down training centres around the country :cheers:

I'm sure i could find some time over the weekend, and compose a list of links :thumb:

I'm sure i could find some time over the weekend, and compose a list of links :thumb:

And keep it updated? :lol:

And keep it updated? :lol:

self updating :thumb: goes like this,

To find your nearest current Biker Down Training course, Google " Biker down ( enter your location here )" to view a list of courses in your area.

the incident was picked up by the local news

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17659085.emergency-services-at-scene-of-crash-on-m65-close-to-guide/

Good job he didn't die at the scene, I really couldn't tell. there was a crowd of people. Someone was trained because they didn't remove the helmet and risk further injury and put the man in the recovery position.

I hope the guy/gal is ok.

Not surprised to see the helmet on vs helmet off debate popping up. I am genuinely interested in the "official" guidelines and will find a biker down type course near me.

I do race marshalling - every day of each meeting we practice helmet removal with the medics, but we are almost never allowed to do it in a live crash situation.

Generally, if the rider hasn't puked and is breathing ok the helmet stays on until they are certain there's no head or spine injury. (and if not breathing there are techniques to open the airway without compromising the spine or removing the helmet)

Now, I know that's in racing and this thread concerns a road rider, but I would have thought the same logic applies ?

And that's why I want to do the course

I was a race marshal for 15 years, 9 of them as chief marshal, and I trained as a first responder with the Warwickshire ambulance service.

if the injured person was in a car someone had to be behind the driver to support the neck so the helmet could be removed, but now with the HANS device that is not practical.

In karting, if someone was injured you had to hold the head still while a backboard was placed between the seat and driver and you then lifted the driver up out of the seat onto the board. I came up with the technique of lifting the kart up by the front wheels until the seat is horizontal, place the board behind the driver and slide the driver out. it reduced the chance of injury to the neck and meant you were not burdened by deadweight.

some modern helmets have pads that can be removed in an emergency, so the helmet can be removed easier because you do not have to pull it apart to clear the ears with the cheek pads

Not surprised to see the helmet on vs helmet off debate popping up. I am genuinely interested in the "official" guidelines and will find a biker down type course near me.

Biker down basically say only take the helmet off if you need to do CPR. If they're breathing on their own, bu unconscious, then leave it on.

They also then teach the safest way to remove a helmet from an unconscious biker.

I know this is in really poor taste, but what the hell... :P

Many years ago a friend of mine witnessed a horrific bike crash when a speeding biker overtook him and a few more cars in front on a right-hand bend and was still so far over the centre line on the exit that he head-butted an oncoming vehicle. My mate dialled 999, asked for the police and an ambulance, but said the latter wasn't urgent because it was a fatality. A pissy operator said "The paramedic will make that decision sir, not you" to which my friend said "Well, I'm not medically trained of course, but his helmet has come off and his head is still in it."

:shock:

I know this is in really poor taste, but what the hell... :P

Many years ago a friend of mine witnessed a horrific bike crash when a speeding biker overtook him and a few more cars in front on a right-hand bend and was still so far over the centre line on the exit that he head-butted an oncoming vehicle. My mate dialled 999, asked for the police and an ambulance, but said the latter wasn't urgent because it was a fatality. A pissy operator said "The paramedic will make that decision sir, not you" to which my friend said "Well, I'm not medically trained of course, but his helmet has come off and his head is still in it."

:shock:

Yeeaahh... I have a friend who was a police officer and is now a paramedic..

He regularly gives me stories like this and urges me to give up the bikes :shock: