Rear Wheel Noise

Mr Tuscan

Hi,

So I’m riding a new bike that’s just clocked 1000 miles and now the rear wheel is making an on/off brake type noise every rotation of the wheel.

This sound vanishes the minute I apply the rear brake, brakes absolutely fine but obviously the sound is coming from the Caliper.

If if wiggle the calliper in my hand and then ride off, the noise stops for a few cycles of the wheel and the returns.

Badly seated pads or what?

Do I need to remove said calliper or am I looking at some kind of adjustment

Thanks in advance

Sounds like the disc is slightly warped

a little warp isn't too bad as not all discs are straight! the service manual should be able to tell you what run out you are allowed

All brakes do touch the disc a little and make some sound! knowing if its normal over the internet is a stab in the dark

As Stu says, pads often just lightly touch the disc which can generate noise. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. If you're concerned they're binding ride a mile or so then stop gently on the front brake only. Then just see if the rear disc is hot. Sometimes a very slight smear of copper assembly compound can help but check the spec of the calipers and only use the smallest amount.

As Stu says, pads often just lightly touch the disc which can generate noise. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. If you're concerned they're binding ride a mile or so then stop gently on the front brake only. Then just see if the rear disc is hot. Sometimes a very slight smear of copper assembly compound can help but check the spec of the calipers and only use the smallest amount.

Might be a good idea to say exactly where to use the copper slip! I have known people get it wrong :shock:

I'm surprised you can hear it at all what with engine noise, wind noise and wearing a helmet . All brakes make some noise so is this worth worrying about ?

I'm surprised you can hear it at all what with engine noise, wind noise and wearing a helmet . All brakes make some noise so is this worth worrying about ?

I'm assuming this is his 125. On my 125 I could hear the fronts and it drove my insane, just the constant slight rub sound which is normal.

could be seized disk bobbins holding the disk out of true .

as long as you're sure its not the chain needs adjusting/lube

If its a new new bike surely be best to go see the dealer and ask them just to check and if parts are needed under warranty etc .

Thanks for the replies everyone

It’s a newish bike, bought it a year old silty 500 miles on the clock.

Yup 125 so very quiet bike, never noted the noise with the helmet on just when I was in my local road.

Took the rear pass out the other day and found the bike been supplied with no back plate to the pads as in rattle plate which o thought a bit odd, thought bike were done the same as cars ?

Anyway applied some copper grease to the back of the pads, will let you all know the end result when I next get out