2011 xj6 diversion or 2009 bmw F800st

Rabbitwar222

Just went to see a 2011 diversion, excellent condition and good history. Seeing a F800st tomorrow morning

This would be my first big boy bike so, any opinions and things I should look out for?

REALLY liked the Div and currently having to stop myself agreeing to buy.

Will be 90% commuting all year round but like to do the odd weekend away

Thanks in advance

Two bikes that couldn't be more different. I can recommend the 800 as I've owned one. Identical in almost every respect. It's very likely to have ABS... Most STs did.. Even though it was an option. And that's something that's worth having on a first big bike. (It really is)

I guess it will come down to which feels right to you. A 4 cylinder bike. Or a twin. A 600 or an 800.

How do the insurance quotes compare?

Two bikes that couldn't be more different. I can recommend the 800 as I've owned one. Identical in almost every respect. It's very likely to have ABS... Most STs did.. Even though it was an option. And that's something that's worth having on a first big bike. (It really is)

I guess it will come down to which feels right to you. A 4 cylinder bike. Or a twin. A 600 or an 800.

How do the insurance quotes compare?

St does indeed have ABS, heated grips, trip computer, tyre pressure sensor and 3 piece hard luggage. All for same price as the Div which really only had top box as an extra

Both near identical in price and history, St has 33km compared to 25km

ST 470euro FC and Div 510 euro FC

I'm leaning toward the ST but had a short spin on the Div and it just felt 'right'

Many thanks for the input! Much appreciated

Bought the ST

Picking up on Monday.......very excited!

What made you swing to the bm?

Better equipped, better running costs, belt drive and the owner really knew his stuff. Very well looked after with loads of receipts etc

The Belt is just by itself a very good reason. It makes for a very smooth worry free ride. None of the snatchiness you can get from a chain if you get the gears wrong. And once its fitted there is no worry about its tension. No maintenance at all in fact just the occasional physical examination checking for damage/wear. BMW recommend its changed at 24,000 miles or 38,000km. But they last much longer than that.. just keep an eye on it and when you notice a 'tooth' missing then its time to order a new belt.

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/contitech-7004352.html

:D

The Belt is just by itself a very good reason. It makes for a very smooth worry free ride. None of the snatchiness you can get from a chain if you get the gears wrong. And once its fitted there is no worry about its tension. No maintenance at all in fact just the occasional physical examination checking for damage/wear. BMW recommend its changed at 24,000 miles or 38,000km. But they last much longer than that.. just keep an eye on it and when you notice a 'tooth' missing then its time to order a new belt.

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/contitech-7004352.html

Belt was replaced at 32k km. :cheers:

Got the keys to my new 09 F800st approx 4pm today.

At approximately 4.02 the heavens opened, biblical it was with the accompanying thunder and lightning.

12 mile journey home was terrifying but I took it easy and the bike just inspired confidence. Can't stop grinning like a loon :D

Good choice!

The beemer is the better of those two bikes I think. The XJ6 is a good bike but under powered and too soft compared with the FZ6 that preceded it IMO.

Just in time for the summer (not a guarantee of sunny weather but the rain won't be freezing at least :D)