New tyre time

Shadow125

New tyre time for the CBR

It came with Dunlop’s on it, I have been recommended Michelin pilot 2’s and 4’s with the 4’s been highly recommended.

There is a slight price difference but not enough to put me off.

I am looking for an all rounder and especially something good in the wet as I live in Scotland

Should I stick with Dunlop or move to the Michelin’s?

Guest Richzx6r

Pilot road 4s are the tyre I'd go for mate, they are soooooo good all round and my last set I had 13 n half thousand miles and a trackday at snetterton from the pair and they still had life left in them

I found the tracking on PR4s was horrendous, the slightest deformation in the road surface and the PR4s would make a dive for it.

Pirelli Angel GT or GT II

Never had an issue over the last 5 years using them :?

I must say the PR4s were the worst tyre I have ever had, maybe I got some duff ones. I can only comment on my own experience, the PR3s were OK but not exceptional.

The Angel GT get good reviews everywhere the Angel GT II haven't been out long enough for reviews to be meaningful yet.

In a tyre shoot out a couple of years ago the Angel GT was excluded as it was so much better than the other tyres in the shoot out.

I'll see if I can find out what the other tyres were.

The plot thickens!!

Maybe go with the 2s as I have heard nothing but good things

No it doesn't.

Ive had PR3 and 4 tyres and would have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone as quite possibly the very best tyres you can buy for year round riding. And especially where some motorway riding is concerned. Sure footed in the dry and more importantly in the wet. Each and every generation has been a marked improvement on the previous. Only go for the 2 if you cannot justify (or find) 3's 4's or 5's.

The plot thickens!!

No it doesn't.

Ive had PR3 and 4 tyres and would have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone as quite possibly the very best tyres you can buy for year round riding. And especially where some motorway riding is concerned. Sure footed in the dry and more importantly in the wet. Each and every generation has been a marked improvement on the previous. Only go for the 2 if you cannot justify (or find) 3's 4's or 5's.

This! ^^^^^^^

I must say the PR4s were the worst tyre I have ever had, maybe I got some duff ones. I can only comment on my own experience, the PR3s were OK but not exceptional.

The Angel GT get good reviews everywhere the Angel GT II haven't been out long enough for reviews to be meaningful yet.

In a tyre shoot out a couple of years ago the Angel GT was excluded as it was so much better than the other tyres in the shoot out.

Too many variables to say the reasons why they never worked for you but they have been the best tyres I have used!

Tyre pressures, loading and riding styles are all contributing factors!

The plot thickens!!

No it doesn't.

They appear to get great reviews all over, I was recommended them in two separate garages.

I was just looking at the road 5s, possibly could be the answer?

The plot thickens!!

No it doesn't.

They appear to get great reviews all over, I was recommended them in two separate garages.

They are all good.. even the 2's. But.. bear in mind they are at least 6-7yrs old now and there is a reason they were replaced. There was room for improvement and so, year by year they have been.

The difference between 2 and 3 was small.. just an improvement in wet grip. The big change came with the 4. improved grip and lifespan. and a much 'sportier' profile. Though as with most 'so called' sport touring tyres they are definitely aimed at riders who spend more time riding to the twisties than in the twisties. in other words they're aimed at real world riders in the UK climate who spend most of their time on the bike doing the normal commute and general riding and possibly a much longer ride/trip abroad once a year. I cannot comment on the new 5's. but as they are the latest.. if you can justify the cost to yourself then go for them.

No it doesn't.

They are all good.. even the 2's. But.. bear in mind they are at least 6-7yrs old now and there is a reason they were replaced. There was room for improvement and so, year by year they have been.

The difference between 2 and 3 was small.. just an improvement in wet grip. The big change came with the 4. improved grip and lifespan. and a much 'sportier' profile. Though as with most 'so called' sport touring tyres they are definitely aimed at riders who spend more time riding to the twisties than in the twisties. in other words they're aimed at real world riders in the UK climate who spend most of their time on the bike doing the normal commute and general riding and possibly a much longer ride/trip abroad once a year. I cannot comment on the new 5's. but as they are the latest.. if you can justify the cost to yourself then go for them.

I am new to big bikes and only bought the CBR600 last week so I will not be carving any twisty roads up.

I would like to get the best all rounder I can, especially in the wet as the rain is never far away in Scotland.

The 5s get great reviews online without only around £25 difference from the 4s

Odd what you say about PR4's. I went from Honda supplied Dunlop's to PR4's and it transformed the bike. I love em and will stick to Michies in the future.

I don't doubt other peoples accounts but can only speak as I find and Michelins are off my tyre list.

I like Avons, Pirellis are good and at the moment after swearing never to use Bridgestones again I have a set of T30 evo and they have been fine.

After watching a Revzilla review and reading various websites. The 5s get glowing reviews and as I have no prior experience it comes down to best educated guess and take the leap I feel

the trouble is none of us can try multiple tyres before we buy them. So really you have to trust reviews. Most people will be biased to what they have. I can't fault my road 5s. But I have never ridden on the 2/3/4 so I cant say the 5 are any better.