Doing mock repairs

dynax

Just curious if anyone does mock repairs, basically just practising if the unfortunate happens, and maybe try alternative solutions to problems instead of a more conventional approach :cheers:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That is true, and i myself take that approach, but surely being able to do a repair is all part of owning and maintaining a bike,

Repairs will come soon enough without going looking foe them. Haynes manuals and Youtube will give you an insight.

Totally agree, but what if your bike has none of the above, no manual available, nothing online, even putting your reg number, into places like Halford's come up blank :lol:

[mention]dynax[/mention] Good for you for not being frightened of getting your hands dirty. As mentioned above though, don't go looking for problems as they will manifest themselves in time. :thumb:

If pulling a good bike apart and putting it back together again is your thing, then feel free to enjoy yourself. I'll stick to riding mine and repair it when it breaks down, however having an FJR it could be a long time coming. I'm all in favour of preventative maintenance.

My biggest fear is getting a puncture, mainly because it has tubed tyres, tubeless no problem, i was thinking about having a go, and see if it would be possible to repair a tube without removing the wheel,

One good way to learn and gain confidence is to buy a project and tinker with that. The only downside is the silly money projects go for these days.

I am looking for one as a winter project, keeping an eye on ebay for what they go for :thumb:

Repairs will come soon enough without going looking foe them. Haynes manuals and Youtube will give you an insight.

Totally agree, but what if your bike has none of the above, no manual available, nothing online, even putting your reg number, into places like Halford's come up blank :lol:

Then buy a cheap wreck and fix it

Guest Richzx6r

When I was younger I cut my teeth on an old mg metro that I did just that with....it was my dads old one just sat on the drive so being 13 or so and he wasn't using it again I asked if I could learn on it.....I took that car almost completely apart and put back together quite a few times and every time it ran once being put back together so I'd say if you are lucky enough to have some disposable income get yourself something that doesn't really matter and cut your teeth on that and leave working on your pride and joy to when things go wrong with it

pq

My biggest fear is getting a puncture, mainly because it has tubed tyres, tubeless no problem, i was thinking about having a go, and see if it would be possible to repair a tube without removing the wheel,

Yes it is , I've done it . So there you go , no need ! I only did it because I had to . I had to beg a lift into the nearest Halfords to buy tyre levers and nick the soap out if the nearest pub bogs to get the tyre back on . You only need two spanners to take most wheels out anyway. But why bother when breakdown cover is obtainable for a modest addition to your insurance fee? What you need is a PROJECT BIKE or a Motorcycle Mechanics Course .

Guest Richzx6r

The main problem with "Mock Maintenance" is once you have put it all back together again you don't know if you fixed it because it wasn't broke in the first place.

Very true, I'd say get something you know doesn't run and take it apart that way 1: you find out how it all goes together and 2: you may once taking it apart find what went wrong and then fix it and get it running

Totally pointless, try and fix it when it breaks , or by a Chinese bike your get plenty of practise fixing things .

It is a Chinese bike :lol:

:lol: :lol: , you'll be busy soon enough .

Totally pointless, try and fix it when it breaks , or by a Chinese bike your get plenty of practise fixing things .

Gonna be busy anyway fitting some extra goodies :lol:

What extra goodies would those be may I enquire ?

I have been mocked for some of my repairs if that counts :oops:

Clutch cable snapped so this was my solution until I got a new one :mrgreen:

IMG_0183.JPG.b3d60b50aa91939701875cfbb0fbcda9.JPG

p.s. and all done with things I carried in the bikes tool kit

What extra goodies would those be may I enquire ?

When all the bit's arrive, will be fitting a handlebar extender, which will have a camera mount, and a dual 12v/usb power socket, but the best bit, on the brackets for the extender, i will make a panel so i can fit the alarm led, a nice clock ( still looking for a nice one ), and a volt meter, happy day's :thumb: