Clutch 'tightness'

elizabethf

That would make no difference to the feel of the clutch at the lever! It would cause harder shifting and possibly dragging while at the lights

I see what megawatt means - it's a reasonable idea and could make a difference with feel.

How?

you pull the lever which pulls the cable which in turn either pulls another lever or pulls on a worm drive which pushes the push rod which releases the pressure plate which in turn releases pressure on the clutch plates causing it to slip

You're not pushing pressure on to the clutch plates so notches would make zero difference to feel

all they would do is cause the plates to stick not releasing properly causing notchy shifts or dragging of the clutch

I had this issue on the TLs due to many hard starts

up to the pressure plate moving the work of the clutch lever is done so the only thing that can cause an issue is something from the lever to the pressure plate

Ok Stu. I'm not an expert. What Megawatt wrote seemed to me a plausible reason for the changes in feel.

If I'm wrong about that I am big and ugly enough to put my hands up and accept it.

I see what megawatt means - it's a reasonable idea and could make a difference with feel.

How?

you pull the lever which pulls the cable which in turn either pulls another lever or pulls on a worm drive which pushes the push rod which releases the pressure plate which in turn releases pressure on the clutch plates causing it to slip

You're not pushing pressure on to the clutch plates so notches would make zero difference to feel

all they would do is cause the plates to stick not releasing properly causing notchy shifts or dragging of the clutch

I had this issue on the TLs due to many hard starts

up to the pressure plate moving the work of the clutch lever is done so the only thing that can cause an issue is something from the lever to the pressure plate

Ok Stu. I'm not an expert. What Megawatt wrote seemed to me a plausible reason for the changes in feel.

If I'm wrong about that I am big and ugly enough to put my hands up and accept it.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong! I was just asking why you think it would contribute to it

I just gave you the reasons why it wouldn't thats all :thumb:

see depending on what you watch you get different advice on clutchless shifting

True dat.

I only do clutchless shifting (up and down like a pro) because my gloves are so f*cking expensive.

[mention]Stu[/mention] Good video; But the key to not damaging the transmission is "doing it right" as quoted from the video. If I was as skilled as Marc Marquez at riding a bike, I would probably use clutchless shifting on occasion as well. The only other criticism of the video is …….{he's a yank}! :lol:

Back to the original problem. Has the clutch done a lot of miles? Could be wear in the clutch basket, causing the plates to snag. Needs stripping and the high spots removing from the basket.

Yeah regardless the bike has done 8.7k miles so not massive. I bought it at 7.5k a few months back and has been fine up until last week.

So got home and was armed with lube (he he he) and as I lean in to begin.... ITS THE DAMN HEATED GRIPS.

that chunky bit of rubber where the wire and grips come together have moved round, I assume the glue has dried up, and it's just moved forward a little. Moved it back round and boom, happy clutch.

So got home and was armed with lube (he he he) and as I lean in to begin.... ITS THE DAMN HEATED GRIPS.

that chunky bit of rubber where the wire and grips come together have moved round, I assume the glue has dried up, and it's just moved forward a little. Moved it back round and boom, happy clutch.

Brilliant so glad your clutch is back and functioning how it should :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

So got home and was armed with lube (he he he) and as I lean in to begin....

Well that sounds slippery and fun :3some:

I rewrote that sentence a few times but there is no such thing as talking about lube without it being one big innuendo! :lol:

I didnt want to write 'lean over/bend over' etc etc, just makes it all the more worse....

I rewrote that sentence a few times but there is no such thing as talking about lube without it being one big innuendo! :lol:

I didnt want to write 'lean over/bend over' etc etc, just makes it all the more worse....

Lube innurendo, sound's just as bad :lol: :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

Simple question about a tight clutch and you lot just turn it into a smutty thread :roll:

Just jealous you didn't get there first six :angel12:

Simple question about a tight clutch and you lot just turn it into a smutty thread :roll:

Just jealous you didn't get there first six :angel12:

FE54F227-2022-4F0D-B1A7-C2AB864739A2.jpeg.cc1fd8d5d5bfc126262a55333f6a9b19.jpeg