Motorcycle brake fluid vs car brake fluid?

potatobroxd

Time to flush my brake fluid soon! I was wondering if any dot 4 brake fluid will work for motorcycles or does it to be specifically designed for motorcycles?

*i used synthetic car engine oil and my clutch wont slipping so was wondering if the same applies to brake fluids :oops:

Any dot-4 will be fine. I didn't know they even had special motorbike only brake fluid.

When it comes to oil you just need to look out for friction modifiers. These are what cause the slippage in wet clutches on bikes. Regular Castrol GTX is absolutely fine but keep away from Castrol Magnatec :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

Definitely a motorcycle only brake fluid....so go to a motorcycle parts shop and ask for the brake fluid they will stock the correct stuff.

And see if they have some see through air that stuff is always required on bikes :thumb:

P.s any brake fluid is fine as it's all the same :thumb: :mrgreen:

Apart from the fact they all have different boiling points, never use a lower grade than recomended use the same or higher

Dot 2 is 190c dot 5.1is 270c, with the rest in-between

Dot 5 is silicone based and should never be mixed with any others

So yea all the same

Time to flush my brake fluid soon! I was wondering if any dot 4 brake fluid will work for motorcycles or does it to be specifically designed for motorcycles?

*i used synthetic car engine oil and my clutch wont slipping so was wondering if the same applies to brake fluids :oops:

Im assuming this is for your 650.

Your owners manual will say DOT 4. it will not add any further caveats to that.

Similarly, if you put car engine oil into your bike then you will have ignored completely the advice your owners manual has given. They give you the complete specification for the oil your bike requires.

Which for the vast majority of bikes, the MOST important part. aside from the usual 10W-40. is the JASO rating. This tells you that the oil is suitable for a motorcycle with a wet (oil lubricated) clutch. And is common for all modern motorcycle with unit engines.

For the 650 the spec isnt fussy... you can use any JASO. MA, MA1 or MA2.

If you have oil sitting about and it does not have a JASO rating on it.. Don't use it. Because it is not recommended for your bike and can too easily go horribly wrong.

jeez based on the response im guessing ill use my car's blinker fluid to flush out my bike's indicator then

They all seemed reasonable answers to your question.

Sorry didnt mean to demean anyone; just felt a bit dumb asking that. Maybe I shouldve added an emoji next time :scratch:

Hey there are no silly questions in biking

You've obviously never been on a Harley Davidson forum then ! Oh dear . 🤪

Guest Richzx6r

Now you mention it....no I haven't

I don't know which sub forums are more scary , the firearms or the readers wives or " Hotties "

Guest Richzx6r

I don't know which sub forums are more scary , the firearms or the readers wives or " Hotties "

Lol I'd guess they are both as scary as the other