Small Paint booth experiment

Even covering the other bikes with dustsheets and hanging sheet up around the bits to be painted the dam stuff gets everywhere and stinks the shed out. So with the aid of the old pedestal fan to keep the bandit cool while carb balancing, cardboard box, corrugated card and duct tape i came up with this:

100_3894.thumb.JPG.feab5c7b17cc03d88b8d0b21ee6f1609.JPGCut a hole roughly the same size as the fan, made some ducting from sheets of corrugated card, a collar from spare cardboard and duct tape.

needs a bit more sealing up but got a good draft

100_3900.thumb.JPG.e07ebd4cf42f0e1390ac3575c5902db3.JPG

and with paint

100_3901.thumb.JPG.1c200c342cdfedd5b8e9772feb0717f9.JPG

All I need now is a lite filterscreen and a rod in the box to hang parts and i can give it a proper go.

Any thoughts for improvement for the MK2 version?

Rob B

100_3893.thumb.JPG.c6ecde16e1b0fff3a5af9772ed872c67.JPG

100_3899.thumb.JPG.8d583f7ed2b0ceb151d3c393aa071015.JPG

Guest Richzx6r

Mk1 doesn't look like it needs much improvement bar as you have said some extra sealing of corners and something turnable to mount things to be painted

So looks good mate

Guest Richzx6r

Very inventive and a good Idea. But the fan motor might suffer a bit with paint being sucked into it?

It will suffer but you can't really cover it due to it will overheat due to restrictive or zero airflow over the motor so I'd leave the fan as is

Cheers guys, a turntable i.e. a lazy susan should suffice. I will if possible find a screen filter to catch the majority of the paint particles without restricting the airflow.

When i do get to paint something I will update this thread.

Rob B

Guest Richzx6r

Cheers guys, a turntable i.e. a lazy susan should suffice. I will if possible find a screen filter to catch the majority of the paint particles without restricting the airflow.

When i do get to paint something I will update this thread.

Rob B

Where in the north east are you mate, me n the missus have not long ago moved up here n to Sunderland...... I'm sure I could find a few bits n bobs on my track bike that could do with being sprayed, also what size stuff could you fit in there?? Wheels??

Sorry no not even with tyres off, brackets and the odd panel will be great. going to use it to paint the spare Z500 tank, tail and side panels. front mudguard may be a squeeze but there is still just enough draw to place it on edge of my washing trolley (where the box stands).

I like building stuff out of the bits laying round, the washing trolley was the old kitchen cupboard with 4 castors and a bit of kitchen cupboard made into a hinged top. It can be used as another portable workbench or just stored under my main bench. Made a block stand to keep the Bandit's front wheel of the ground from old fence post. Carb cleaning jet from a syringe and old pipe.

Rob B

Guest Richzx6r

Give me a shout next time you are at Croft, will bring my camera.

Rob B

I am yet to do a ride at Croft but once bike is sorted it's the first one I'm taking jigsaw to

I used a £30 Tesco tent as a spray booth to paint my msx panels. Worked a treat!

That is s a great idea would stop dust and small children falling on it too.

Rob

Give me a shout next time you are at Croft, will bring my camera.

Rob B

I am yet to do a ride at Croft but once bike is sorted it's the first one I'm taking jigsaw to

look forward to seeing it

Rob

I used a £30 Tesco tent as a spray booth to paint my msx panels. Worked a treat!

That is s a great idea would stop dust and small children falling on it too.

Rob

Just mind and wear a decent dust mask and eye pro when you are painting in it. I done mine over two years ago and still looking pretty good.

IMG_20170510_145050.thumb.jpg.6b1963d5ed6c3614bfae73f1fb5f2c3f.jpg