VFR800 - Any Good?

Lanceautoman

Evening,

I currently have a 2011 CB600F Hornet. I commute over 200 miles a week. I am looking at possibly getting something slightly torquier with a bit of wind protection and do like the look of the VFR800. I anticipate that filtering in Manchester City Centre won't be as easy on a VFR and that I won't get as good MPG but I wondered if any of you have had one and can give any advice?

I used to have an 03 vtec.

It's the best all round bike I've ever had. Not the best sports or commuter or tourer or whatever, but as an all rounder they're hard to beat. Easy filtering in town, Swift and we'll balanced in the Twisties, capable of 170+ if you want that too. Below 5500rpm it cuts half the valves so can be very eco if you want.

Post 2006 build (07 reg) bikes are best - Honda tinkered with it to make the vtec transition smoother.... although balancing the throttle bodies sorts out earlier bikes.

Dual combined brakes take a little getting used to, but work well.

The major service - 48000 miles I think - is expensive through main dealers: valve clearances check.

The only vice vfr800's gave that I can think of is the rear hub/chain adjuster mechanism can seize - can be expensive to fix.

Imho - a great bike.

Rear hub adjuster just needs heat, a very thin cutting disk to open up a gap on the other side so you can get a drift in to start it off, I agree they can be a pain and you have to be careful with how much heat.

Worth mentioning the distinctive sound too . A cross between a whistle , a chirrup and a burble with a hint of a rumble . ( Maybe ) 🤔

Worth mentioning the distinctive sound too . A cross between a whistle , a chirrup and a burble with a hint of a rumble . ( Maybe ) 🤔

Yep, good call, I forgot the noise - even with standard exhaust they sound good - an old mate of mine had stayintunes on his, sounded even better.

Personally, the pre-vtec sounded better having the gear driven cams, but each to his own etc.

Bender:- I didn't have that know-how, mine was seized when I bought the bike & didn't know til I got a Honda dealer to do service n check over. Cost me me an extra £200 as I recall.

Great all rounder can’t really go wrong with one. The rear hub problem is water Ingres so don’t point a pressure washer at the rear hub, it turned my bearings into rusty mess - you live and learn :3some:

Honda V4s have that very distinctive drone with the gear driven cam whine, I think they sound great.

Richy vida on you tube raves about them.

I was watching one of his videos on a VFR last night. Very good. Would love a 2018 VFR 800 in Red. - If you squint it looks a bit like a Panagale

I have a 03 vtec. I love it, even the very mechanical kick it gives you when it goes onto vtec.

So things to be aware of that I found since getting mine, the 8th gen (latest version) is the same engine as the vtec going back to 2003, but they have tweaked it a little, there is a slightly different airbox design to remove a value that most of us remove anyway, they have added an extra oil spray to the stator, earlier versions (mine included) burn them out just to lack of oil and they have mapped it differently to smooth out the vtec kick.

I get about 44-46mph and use it to commute 12 miles each way every day. Only reliability I have had was the stator failure.

Richy vida on you tube raves about them.

I was watching one of his videos on a VFR last night. Very good. Would love a 2018 VFR 800 in Red. - If you squint it looks a bit like a Panagale

Speaking from personal experience, they're much better for commuting than a Panigale too :D .

I'm in two minds what I'll be getting next, to be honest. I love the V4, so it's a toss-up between the vfr1200f or the 8th gen vfr800. I know the vfr1200f has a tiny fuel tank and you barely get 150miles before having to fill up again, but for the power, the direct drive and the comfort it maybe more of an ideal commuter rather than a long distance tourer. The 8th gen vfr800 however looks lurvly, is better on the fuel, but the engine is basically a 20+ year old design even if it has been changed through the years.

but the engine is basically a 20+ year old design even if it has been changed through the years.

What’s wrong with a 20+ year old design ? The road going version can be traced back even longer to the 1980’s in the VFR 750, and a lot of those are still going strong with ridiculously high mileages on them. I recall one of the bike magazines stripping a VFR 750 that had something like 250k miles on it and been used by a number of couriers with next to no maintenance. They gave the major parts to Honda and they found none of the components out of the original tolerances.

I had a 1990 RC36 and when the valve tolerances where checked by a Honda dealer at 36k they didn’t need any adjustments, and the dealer said they very rarely need adjusting for the life of the bike as long as you change the oil regularly. They have even been compared as being the “Rolex” of bike engines.

I'm in two minds what I'll be getting next, to be honest. I love the V4, so it's a toss-up between the vfr1200f or the 8th gen vfr800. I know the vfr1200f has a tiny fuel tank and you barely get 150miles before having to fill up again, but for the power, the direct drive and the comfort it maybe more of an ideal commuter rather than a long distance tourer. The 8th gen vfr800 however looks lurvly, is better on the fuel, but the engine is basically a 20+ year old design even if it has been changed through the years.

There’s always the Tuono, they’re a fantastic bike, I still miss my RSV4 now!.

I had 2 of the older VFR750's,

brilliant bikes!

I'd have another tomorrow :thumb:

So would I 👍 just a shame the body panels age 🥴