Clutch blew up now bike won't start! Yamaha MT-125. HELP!

Tavernalighieri

:shock:

Hey guys,

So I was riding down the A406 the other day go to kick up a gear then my bike makes a horrible shrieking noise, redlines and my clutch lever stops working. Luckily I managed to slip over onto a slip road. When I turned on the bike it made a grinding sound. Motorbike SOS came out to me and had no idea what it was. I got it recovered to home, but now the bike won't start at all. It's almost as if the battery has died? My bike is due a service but it still has oil in it, chain needs replacing. Overall she's in need of a revamp, but if anyone has any help for these two questions it would be great! So I can diagnose the problem and plan out how I'm going to address them.

The clutch wire is still intact, but very slack regardless of how many adjustments I make to it.

1) Does anyone know what may have caused the original problem that caused my clutch to become unresponsive?

2) Anyone experienced this grinding noise before? Or have a clue what may have caused it?

3) any advice, tips or places to get low cost parts that could help me fix the problem much appreciated!

Not to worry you, but the YZF-R engines were a bit fragile, and I think it shares the engine with that.

If the oil even ran a little low, the engine lets go in a big way.

I've known a couple that report the same thing, horrible grinding noise, big bang/bike stops, and the engine is seized solid.

If the engine is seized, it won't start.

Check the oil level first. Then drop the oil out of it into a container, send me a picture if you like. But if you see shards of metal or chunks then you know right away what's happened. Fortunately there are quite a few spare engines about for these bikes.

The big thing I want you to do is not panic, everything is fixable chap :thumb:

My favourite quote from the film Apollo 13 is " Let's not make this worse by guessing " So first of all you need to get into the clutch to have a look .

• 4 months later...

Thanks for all the replies! I am going to strip my bike down at the weekend and let you know how it goes

Hello again , did you have a good summer ? 😄

• 5 months later...

Hey all,

So with lockdown in full effect. I have no excuse to put this off any longer! Seems to be a seize as the bike won't roll when it's in gear and clutch is held. Did an oil change and there were shards of metal in the oil.. does anyone know what this could indicate?

In the meantime I poured some marvel mystery oil into my sparkplug hole but I fear the fault could be a larger one that requires an engine rebuild. Any tips much appreciated!

Something inside the engine has catastrophically failed. Clutch may be the likely issue, or something else.. but that will send shards of metal through the entire engine.

Get another (used) engine and throw it in there. I wouldn't bother opening it up, unless you are curious as to what exactly failed. Rebuilding it will be a task for a professional, but may not be financially viable.

Here is one (but look around yourself, and don;t just buy this on my say so.. please check it is right for your bike).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGINE-GREAT-RUNNER-YAMAHA-MT-125-2015-WARRANTY-11304546/352942045587?hash=item522cfc3993:g:cjEAAOSw-~teJswX

Hope that helps.