Manx Greenlanes

manxie49

As many people will know the island is dotted with lots of green lanes and greenway roads, brilliant for the off road enthusiast, and something I did regularly up until a couple of years ago. Recently there has been a surge of anti greenlane groups here on the island who want the green lanes closing to all motorised vehicles, in my opinion, if that ever happened it would be a travesty. As such I always used the green lanes respectfully, giving way to walkers and horse riders and always giving them a nod or saying thanks if they moved over for me.

What I witnessed today has left a bitter taste in my mouth and is just the ammunition the anti green lane brigade need to get them closed off, it is a prime example of a few idiots ruining it for everyone.

This afternoon I took my dog for a walk on one of the popular green lanes, I parked my car at the bottom of the lane in a pull in and was about to get the dog out when I noticed a group of enduro bikes coming down the lane, I decided to stay in the car with the dog till they went, all of them were riding pretty sensibly with the exception of one, as he got to the end of the lane, where it joins the road, he decided to do a 90 degree skid behind my car, showering it in gravel, I got out of the car to have a word but he rode of, the guys on the other bikes said they didn't know him!!

Returning to the car after the walk I heard several enduro bikes coming up behind me, I grabbed the dog and moved into the side to allow them to pass, the first one slowed and said there were three others behind him, the next two slowed and thanked me for moving in, the last one initially slowed then as he went past me twisted the throttle, spinning the back wheel and covering both me and the dog in gravel, the dog let out a yelp and was in obvious distress. When I got back to the car I checked and the dogs eye had swollen shut, so a trip to vet to clean her eye of grit and we won't know if there's permanent damage done until the swelling subsides!!

Theres no excuse to ride like such a complete and utter F------g idiot! I'm absolutely furious about what's happened and have to beg the question why do some nob heads put themselves out to ruin it for everyone else....A friend posted this on his face book page which resulted in utter condemnation of the T--t responsible. I didn't get a number plate unfortunately, it was to covered in mud to make out.

Please if you come here to off road use the lanes responsibly with consideration for others, behaviour like this will result in them being closed down.

Edited by manxie49

complete prick,some people think they can get away with anything when visiting the island and as you've said just end up spoiling it for others,hope the dog makes a full recovery and the rider in question picks an argument with the wrong man in the pub tonight

Most green lane bikers are sensible and respectful to other users, unfortunately there's always going to be an idiot who will try and tar everyone with the same brush.

Sorry your dog got hurt.

[attachment=1]IMG_0029.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=0]DSC_0008.jpg[/attachment]

She recovered well from her incident, eye still a bit sticky but no permanent damage thankfully.

your dog looks like she has a bit of newfoundland in her, I once saw a guy at peel kiosk near the lifeboat station a few years ago and he had two of them they were the size of st bernards, rescue dogs with no teeth :shock:

your dog looks like she has a bit of newfoundland in her, I once saw a guy at peel kiosk near the lifeboat station a few years ago and he had two of them they were the size of st bernards, rescue dogs with no teeth :shock:

Yes she is a Newfoundland, great big dog that loves the world and the water, she used to swim next to me when I was kayaking on Lake Windermere