New bike advice

badger636

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice really, pros and cons, in case there’s anything I’ve missed!

I’ve been off bikes now for nearly 8 years, after owning mainly 400 and 600cc sports bikes. I want to get back into biking, but am unsure of how big a bike I want really. Insuring a 600cc bike is quite a lot for me for something I’ll only use at weekends for pleasure, so I’m looking at either an old 400 (eg ZXR400, CBR400RR, etc), or a CBR500R. My thoughts are I like the idea of an old 400 as they are maybe faster and a bit more fun, but my sensible side is saying maybe a CBR500R with more reliablity, cheaper to run, can put my 12 personalised reg on, plus there just aren’t many 400s about which aren’t either rusty, or damaged etc.

Any help would be great.

I wouldn't waste any time looking for decent 400,s . Most of them are imports from the Japanese home market as far as I know .

I wouldn't waste any time looking for decent 400,s . Most of them are imports from the Japanese home market as far as I know .

Yeah I think they are, I had a couple of 400s before and loved them, but most just look in really bad condition these days, then again most of them are about 25 years old now!

I used to have an rd 250 brilliant bike but now price wise they have gone through the roof

That seems to be the case for all 250s doesn’t it, the RS250, KR1S, NSR250. They are more like collectors items now, I want a bike I can actually use day to day though, whenever I feel the need

there is the honda 250 cbf a nice looking bike but very soon runs out of steam on the road :| :|

Yeah, I think I’d get bored of a 250 if I’m honest. I think the CBR500R could offer best value for money for me, wondered if there was any owners on here that could shed any light on their thoughts of the bike

I had a 1999 cb 500 that I got off fleabay It needed a bit of doing up and had a fairly high mileage but ran well I sold it to a lad in leeds who was going to race it in the cb 500 cup :)

Dare I suggest an ER5 ? Loads about , a lot of them would give you change from £1000 . I've owned one for 2 years now and it has given me nothing but pleasure both on the road and in the garage. Not slow at 48 bhp. The C model has slightly better brakes.

Dare I suggest an ER5 ? Loads about , a lot of them would give you change from £1000 . I've owned one for 2 years now and it has given me nothing but pleasure both on the road and in the garage. Not slow at 48 bhp. The C model has slightly better brakes.

Have to admit I’m more of a super sports bike guy. I bet I end up back with a 600 again lol

Have to admit I’m more of a super sports bike guy. I bet I end up back with a 600 again lol

With your budget,a decent 600 for 2.5k and the rest for insurance?

What about a 250 2 stroke :D .

I’d considered them, as I love the Aprilia RS250, but way too much money and need a lot of looking after too I think

I love the RS250 too and the NSR, both getting very expensive now but would be a good investment I guess, and they’re amazing to ride.

Saying that 400s are great too, I have very fond memories of my NC35, can’t believe it’s almost 20 years ago that I got it!.

If you’re looking at 600s, for your budget my pick would probably be an early CBR600RR.

Hi I bought my bike second hand its a 125 pioneer nevada 66 plate the starter button has never worked so I've been looking in to fixing it maybe, i put a new fuse in a white/Antibuse mate clear fuse case now the the starter is whirling away constantly but not trying to start so I've disconnected this just now...

Anyway my issue I've came across which is confussing

The battery + is attached to the casing on the engine after its left the celoniod and the -- from the battery is on the well what I would of thought is the live to the starter can anybody check which way this should be as i dont want to switch it over in case I'm wrong an damage something else thanks Thomas

Hi I bought my bike second hand its a 125 pioneer nevada 66 plate the starter button has never worked so I've been looking in to fixing it maybe, i put a new fuse in a white/Antibuse mate clear fuse case now the the starter is whirling away constantly but not trying to start so I've disconnected this just now...

Anyway my issue I've came across which is confussing

The battery + is attached to the casing on the engine after its left the celoniod and the -- from the battery is on the well what I would of thought is the live to the starter can anybody check which way this should be as i dont want to switch it over in case I'm wrong an damage something else thanks Thomas

Is this the manual for your bike.

Most modern bikes are negative earth. But do check with the dealers.

https://docslide.net/documents/pioneer-xf125l-4b-owners-manual.html

With your budget,a decent 600 for 2.5k and the rest for insurance?

I’ve seen some of the older ZX6R B1H models for under £3k, could go to that and afford the insurance. Still not sure I’ll really need that much power anymore, was different when I was 19 and careless lol

I may be biased on this but have you thought about a vtr firestorm...excellent bikes and so easy to ride, you would get a minter for far less than your budget, just a thought :thumb:

I used to have an rd 250 brilliant bike but now price wise they have gone through the roof

That seems to be the case for all 250s doesn’t it, the RS250, KR1S, NSR250. They are more like collectors items now, I want a bike I can actually use day to day though, whenever I feel the need

I've got an RGV250 and while a brilliant bike to own and ride, I wouldn't recommend it for daily transport.

It's really cramped to ride, the seat is rock hard and relatively expensive to run;New pistons at 10k miles and full rebuild at 20k miles.

£10 a litre for quality 2 stroke oil and 35mpg in fuel.

And yes they are expensive to buy :shock: £3-4 grand as a start.

But would I change it? No,not never ever.