Less we forget

manxie49

I like that.. that good ..

The old gent who used to live next door to me with his wife and son . Him and his wife have passed away in the last 3 or 4 years .

His name was Bob .. and he lied about his age and joined up .as he was about to be sent to Burma his mum went to the army barracks and told he was only 15 ... so they kept him back . His old unit was the 14th army the forgotten army fighting the japs ..

So the following year he was sent abroad his 1st taste of action .. at 16 years old .. running for his life up a beach 6th June 1944.. at 16 years old

He showed me some items he had from that day at the top of the beach head .. he had some German items one was a SS cerimonal dagger .I said to him I used to collect these and other knives when I was younger .. he replied mm I had to kill the bast*rd to get these the room went cold really sound moment.. about a week later he got blown up and was flown back to the UK then once he was ok ( no way was he right his wife told me the nightmares he suffered due to the battle /blown up and what he seen )he was sent to Belgium.

His wife was from Belgium Flemish she was and she lived thro the German occupation and she also had some horrible stories.

I must have spent many many hours chatting to both them and what they told me about back then you really do have to say what a generation .

What they gave you have no idea ...

One thing that really gets on my tits the government go one about what we own the hero's never forget so on ... Bob was still paying TAX on his pension right up until he died ... PAYING FECKING TAX ARE YOU SHITTING ME .. they made these ppl pay TAX after what they been thro and done for the country NOW THAT IS DISGUSTING...

Guest Richzx6r

I'd like to see 99.9% of people go through what they went through in this modern age....there would be so many people complaining that they are so depressed and cant do this or that.....they didn't have this option back in the war they just hot on with it

This time last year I did a week in France with my 3 closest friends going to museums and remembrance ceremonies. Met so many wonderful people.

Being on the ferry from Portsmouth with the remaining Pegasus Bridge veterans was something I'll never forget, they were truly amazing men.

Learnt so much, both about the war at the time and appreciation for all we have now, because of their bravery and sacrifice.

I wonder if any of these fine young chaps are still alive ?Sadly probably not. That's my Dad , second on the left , top row . He wasn't a sailor as the uniform might suggest . He originally joined the RAF but got transferred to the Fleet Air Arm as a Leading Aircraftsman . He didn't see combat but he still did his bit . Does anyone else have any wartime photos of relatives who saw service ?

PhotoEditor_20190606_092509830.thumb.jpg.acd85e73544e780d1b1114ec3221dcd1.jpg

My uncle, long passed now was a tank driver in the Africa campaigns, he had a commander with there tank most of the time, said he liked it that way as they tended to lead the charges from the middle of the group as commander said gave more time for him to oversee and re structure the group, my uncle reckoned it was because he wanted to get home in one piece

My gran (aged 94 and still driving/going strong today) told me of her family.

She was one of 7, 2 girls and 5 boys. All 5 boys died in the war.

My granduncle Earnest came back injured on two occasions, and went out to fight again each time, his last being D-day when he died on the beach.

A big thanks to them, and I can only hope I'd live up to their standards in the same situation.

My dad was French and in the French resistance. Then he walked from Paris over the mountains to Spain. Then a boat to England and joined the free French army.

The French were not told when D day was as there were too many German spies. Dad went over 3 days after D day. It was years before he talked about it, and never went into detail. I have lived my whole life with no danger. We are so lucky.

John