Bonio in shock horror bike-purchase deal

bonio

Yes, it's true. You read it here first: I've bought a bike. :shock:

It's 9 months since I sold the GS, and after covering 4000 miles on DRZ, I've finally come to admit that, while it's a blast and hoot, it's not really at its happiest munching miles on the A14, and that my regular trips to Cambridge could be better done with an engine that has more cylinders.

When I sold the GS, I'd had my eyes for some time on a Z1000SX. I still think it's an awesome bike for real-life use on the road, but since then the goal-posts have shifted: I want cruise control back again. I hadn't realised how much I had used it, at 30, at 40, at 75 or 80 - it allowed me a bit of a stretch, a rest and a chance to put the body in a different position - without having to stop. So the Z was out, and I started looking around once again.

I tried the Multistrada 950. Oh my. What an amazing bike - perhaps the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. :angel12: It is beautifully light; it corners willingly, and with great feedback, fuelling is perfect, and it's way more than fast enough for use on the road. And that sound..... :mrgreen: But common sense came to rescue me from another probably wallet-emptying experience: cheap cost of ownership is not Ducati's USP, and a quick read of the forums shone light on a significant group of people writing things like "The bike is it's awesome, but it's only 3 months old and unless they can sort this out I'm going to trade it in for a Suzuki".

I tried a Beemer: the new F850GS. Another really nice bike (though for me, not quite as magical as Duke). But in the end, I gathered all my BMW Motorrad memories together by force of will, and the desire for another GS slowly withered away. And then I got myself a test ride on a Triumph Tiger 800. I was really impressed: it's a fun bike to ride, agile and light, easy to control even at really slow speeds. It's hugely comfortable, plus it's got cruise control and two more cylinders than the DRZ. What's more, Triumph are doing an offer of free panniers ... so I put my order in today :D :D :D

It should be with me shortly. You don't need to ask for pictures; you'll get them anyway. :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

When I was living down south I had a test ride on the 1200 tiger and loved it but can't really warrant spending all that money on a vehicle right now so it will have to wait for a while.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase :thumb:

Yes [mention]Bender[/mention] you did, but I wasn't listening back then. :D

[mention]smallfrowne[/mention] 125mph. 94bhp. 3.6 seconds. So a bit more pipe-and-slippers than the GS.

Yes @Bender you did, but I wasn't listening back then. :D

@smallfrowne 125mph. 94bhp. 3.6 seconds. So a bit more pipe-and-slippers than the GS.

Don't worry bout the. 8sec your missing I expect the big tiger within the year 😁

I wonder how much it weighs compared to your old GS? they look very flickable :cheers:

It's about 30kg lighter than the standard GS. I was after a bike that easier to push around.

It turns very nicely indeed :thumb:. But the Multistrada.... nothing I've been on turns as beautifully as that machine. You need to get yourself one before Germany. :wink: