The next camera money making scheme

Bender

It depends on the DB level, I personally dislike bikes that have obnoxiously loud exhausts (straight pipe)

would even be better if camera was only operates during specified hours e.g 1-6am

Thing is with this, some bikes are loud by nature, e.g. old 2 strokes. If the intention were to stop folk tampering with their bikes to make them louder, how would the 'camera' differentiate between this and say an old RD250? I suppose in theory the reg. captured on the camera could be matched with data on expected decibel levels but in practice, this data won't be available for old bikes. Otherwise it would mean the government banning the use of bikes that some people have paid a lot of money for. The wouldn't do that, would they?

Guest Richzx6r

It's the government...........if it brings in a few quid for minimal work they will do anything.

It would just be another way of doing some daylight robbery, though they say the decibel level hasn't yet been decided on........I hate politicians they are all just useless w*nkers

I don't understand why this is a problem.

this is aimed squarely at people who give the law the middle finger.

people don't 'accidentally' add exhausts that say "not for road use" its a decision they make knowing full well they are breaking the law.

of all the groups that will be most upset.. these are the types I have the least concern about. They know what they are doing.. the rest of us, who aren't bothered about changing to a stupidly loud exhaust. couldn't care less.

Im just trying to imagine the anguish this will cause on the piston heads forum... as well as most H-D groups.

the eagle is about to stop screaming.. and not before time.

Setting one level is going to be very hard on some bikes, i can see how it will be appealing to leafy villagers, it must drive them mad if your near a run that gets lots of bikes, i can hear them in the middle of the night and we live way way off the road but can guarantee once or twice a week some knob will pin it to the limit through every gear as they head out into the sticks, usually about 1am. It's probably the same price.

It's mainly leafy villagers who make the most noise round our way. The local lads seem to think they're the Dukes of Hazzard. There's one goes up the hill by our house and first time he did it I thought the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse had arrived. Needless to say it's not a big bike.

This is only the beginning . In the future when they force every petrol powered vehicle off the road , they will be using these things to target those who resist . This is Armageddon I tell you . I already want to buy a megaphone and shout " F**k off ! , F**k off ! , F**k off ! Into the nearest one .

15599975053252877053228156222479.thumb.jpg.0f4abfb46c2234e2101aaa8f14665c2e.jpg

Round my way, there was a nob, who had a sports quad, riding around all hours, over grassed areas, pavements, being very anti social, his noise levels were sky high, haven't seen him around for some time, probably been arrested, crashed, or no longer around, so relatively peaceful now :thumb:

What if, I have a really loud shouty argument with missus next to one of these things just as someone's purring past on say an NC700 & it takes a picture because of me

On a more sensible point ,.

I think that the legal DB of an exhaust is measured at a certain RPM so any kind of device would need to work out whether rather noise was created by someone revving the tits off their vehicle or rumbling along at less than the tested revs !!

I’m sure that no one would ever start up a chainsaw in the vicinity of a passing Prius 😉

It makes me think of the briefing at Donnington Park & the instructor got to the part about being black flagged for noise just as a plane was coming overhead & I couldn't hear f%%kin word he was saying

I suspect where this will fall to bits is finding evidence that the noise was actually coming from the vehicle photographed. There are plenty of sources of noise in most environments. The only way I could see it working if it were manned (which it won't be because the whole problem is cuts in funding) or works on the basis of multiple registered events leading to a real live human being paying a visit and inspecting the suspect vehicle.

Most bikers like the sound of a bike which shows off it's pedigree and reflects its HP, (not hire purchase), but also most bikers don't like the ear splitting noise that comes off cheap aftermarket exhausts and the really painful straight thru's of the (mostly) Harley / cruiser type. I've recently swapped backed from a road legal after market exhaust back to the original manufacturers exhaust and you know what, the bike performs all the better for it.

Motorcycle manufacturer engineers spend a lot of time and effort developing exhaust systems that suit the engine design for a good reason. I for one won't be bothered about any future noise restrictions on bikes, as I think it will only apply to the worst offending ones. :angel12:

makes me laugh.. really it does.

These past few days this forum has been talking a lot about the law. about taking matters into your own hands vigilante style with all sorts of lethal remedies or if not lethal then serious bodily harm.. all things that could easily land you in prison. And all because the police aren't being seen to act.

Which is mainly because we don't like to pay for the police.. by "we" I mean the population and a government that doesn't seem to think policing is much of a priority. "Times are hard.. mainly due to what we (government) have done.. and so lets create a situation that will lead to more crime and reduce in numbers the force to deal with this crime. And while we're at it. Lets spend 3 years talking about something else entirely."

And on the other hand we have something that causes a lot of people a huge amount of annoyance, that can easily make some peoples life a misery. That can be dealt with, without any police involvement.. But, this might stop some bikers breaking the law and that would never do. So.. it must be a scam. A money making scam. and the answer.. so bravely put on an internet forum is: f**k em.

Im sure that will go down well scrawled across an NIP.

I think if the technology gets tried and tested and gets sited in appropriate locations I don't see an issue with it.

If they get positioned on open roads where no-one is offended by the noise,that's when people will just view them as a money making scam.

If they are in a village blighted by bonehead riders with loud cans then carry on.

makes me laugh.. really it does.

These past few days this forum has been talking a lot about the law. about taking matters into your own hands vigilante style with all sorts of lethal remedies or if not lethal then serious bodily harm.. all things that could easily land you in prison. And all because the police aren't being seen to act.

Which is mainly because we don't like to pay for the police.. by "we" I mean the population and a government that doesn't seem to think policing is much of a priority. "Times are hard.. mainly due to what we (government) have done.. and so lets create a situation that will lead to more crime and reduce in numbers the force to deal with this crime. And while we're at it. Lets spend 3 years talking about something else entirely."

And on the other hand we have something that causes a lot of people a huge amount of annoyance, that can easily make some peoples life a misery. That can be dealt with, without any police involvement.. But, this might stop some bikers breaking the law and that would never do. So.. it must be a scam. A money making scam. and the answer.. so bravely put on an internet forum is: f**k em.

Im sure that will go down well scrawled across an NIP.

Thread title clearly says scheme not scam

I think the police would be better off stopping drug dealers stabbings and theft first.

If the bit about revving is correct you may not even need to have an illegal exhaust to fall foul.

Aimed at drivers and motorcyclists with illegal exhausts, as well as those that rev their vehicles excessively

Well I ummed & erred for ages, years in fact before I changed my stock cans for some SPs purely down to weight saving & looks & they are street legal with the appropriate stamp. Admittedly after 7000 rpm they are quite a bit louder than the stocks but I rarely get there after all its chucking out more than a ZX10 at full chat when I'm at 7000 :shock:

IMO we need more cops & less legislation, maybe then bike thefts & all the other bad stuff would go down.

& isn't it old skool to tinker with your bike :scratch: