Category A licence

Hi all I hope it wont happen to me but in the event of me not passing my Cat1 test and my CBT and theory

are running out, If I pass my 125 test would that preserve my Cbt and theory.

If so could I take my Cat A test when it suits me.

It's all the same test, an A1 will restrict you to 125's, an A2 will restrict you to 47 BHP, and an A licence is unrestricted, it just depends on the size of the bike at the time when you do the test :thumb:

you can always retake cbt and theory has a validity period

you can also use your own bike to do the cbt, as long as your current one is still valid, and your bike is road legal, tax,mot, insurance etc,

The reason for the question is I had a couple of hours training on a big bike this week, and if I dont sort myself out

I am not going to nail it.

I made a balls of the slalom and the figure of eight, I have improved a lot on my 125 this last few weeks

but If I dont get any better with the big bike I might go for my 125 licence then get my A licence later.

Edit my typo.

Edited by fifthwheel

An A1 is for your 125 licence, what about going for your A2 as a compromise, will allow you to ride a more powerful bike, i think an A2 test requires a bike with a minimum of 35 bhp,

An A1 is for your 125 licence, what about going for your A2 as a compromise, will allow you to ride a more powerful bike, i think an A2 test requires a bike with a minimum of 35 bhp,

My mistake I should have said get my A licence later, my typo.

Why don't you just get some practice on the 125. The CBT and theory last two years so as long as you pass a test before they run out you will be fine.

Save wasting money passing on a 125 then having to do it all again on a 650.

• 1 month later...

Have had nine more hours of training this week for my Mod 1.

I dropped the bike on the figure of eight I was riding very slowly but it was still dropped.

That was Tuesday, Thursday more training, six hours in total.

Today Saturday three more hrs, two at the DSA compound and one hour travelling to and from DSA.

My test is next Wednesday and I am not very confident to say the very least.

There are two of us doing the training a young fella in his twenties and this old skin at seventy one.

He is doing very well and I can see he will have no problem next week, although I must say I might be a little better on the road

but in the compound I am having real problems balancing a big bike.

Also to get up to speed for the emergency stop and hazard avoidance is a problem for me as I feel like I am doing

sixty mph in a compound, just feels too fast. I am fine on my little 125 and I think I could do the Mod 1 on that bike with

confidence, its just the big bike is too much for me too soon.

If the test next week goes bad I think I will borrow my sons Blackbird and get some slow riding practice on it

for a few weeks and try again. Its a bike he bought for the engine a few years ago he isn't too worried if I drop it

but obviously I want to avoid that if I can, I have had enough bruising this week to last me a while.

Sorry for the long post. john.

No worries John. Most here on the forum find it relatively easy to balance a bike but that's because we're bikers. The pass rate for the DAS is something like 70%. I passed first time as did lots of others, but clearly not everyone finds it so easy.

If you have your mod1 booked then I don't think you can unbook it so just get as much practice in as you can and good luck. If you don't make it this time then a 2nd time pass is just fine - more practice.

Maybe even practice on a pushbike too?

Many people find the big bike easier for mod1.

for the fig 8 remember you can go quite wide.

slalom you want to be crossing close after the cones not just before them - that gives you a bit more space, and again you can go quite wide.

slip the clutch and use the rear brake for all the slow stuff. You can do the slalom and fig 8 very slowly.

I found that on the u turn being right on the line at the start didnt work for me, you can turn better if you can swing out slightly first, if you're on the line you cant. Its a bit like countersteering - you need the front wheel to go out from under your centre of gravity so you can lean.

hazard avoidance - counter steer.

Good luck tomorrow - and if you are reading this, go to bed and get some sleep ffs!

Hi all, failed the MOD test. The parts of the test I was worrying about went well but I failed on riding too slow on the hazard avoidance.

I was 3.125 mph too slow. Booked in for the 16th of Aug hoping for better luck next time. john.

Edited by fifthwheel

Sorry to hear it fella. You are doing the right thing and going again.

I bet you are more confident now though.

You have to pin it on the avoidance and just trust the bike.

unlucky.

I think everything feels fast on the circuit because of the proximity of all the cones - its a very cluttered environment.

I had a minor for being too slow on the hazard - first run was just under and I had to do a second run. It is nerve wracking.

In practice I kept clipping the cone, it was only when I started to do deliberate countersteer that it clicked.

• 2 weeks later...

I struggled to nail the MOD1 stuff. Actually the thing that got me was the long turn on the run-up it seamed stupid fast. . All I can recommend is to find an industrial site when its quiet and practice on the 125. Its just repetition. I used split tennis balls for the markers.

good luck.

Thanks everybody, I have three more hours training this Sunday coming, then next Friday my Mod 1 again. Hoping to nail it this time.

What pisses me off is if I am understanding it correctly I could have got four or five minors and still passed.

I had a clear round up until the hazard avoidance but failed for 3mph too slow. john

Passed Mod 1 today guys, it just seemed so easy today I dont know why.

50kph on hazard avoidance. 49kph emergency stop.

Mod 2 September 2nd with 9 hrs training in total.

Thanks to everybody for the help and support it was really appreciated. john.

result :cheers:

Congrats! [mention]fifthwheel[/mention] :D

• 3 weeks later...

Been for six hours mod2 training this weekend mod2 test tomorrow Mon 2nd.

Had a good day training yesterday, today went badly, made mistakes etc etc. Not looking forward to the test but no turning back now.

Will report back tomorrow afternoon. Cheers John.