Engine off should I be able to shift with no clutch

So I have bought a project gs750 bobber bike that just needed the wiring in I'm a sparky by trade but no mechanic.

Wired it all all good but before I take it out I'm able to shift through gears with out the clutch when their is no key I. Ignotion? Is that right?

Also when I'm doing it I can't just straight shift I have to roll the bike to find it goes through the gears? I just wanna make sure Its correct before I take it out!

Thanks

Hi.

Putting it in simple terms, the way gears mesh together is via dogs (small cylindrical protrusions on the receiving gear) and dog-holes ( slots about 4 times the length of the dog on the driven gear), usually 2 of each person gear. When you change gear a selector fork pushed the gears together to make those dogs go into the dog-holes.

When riding all the gears are spinning on their shafts - allbeit at different speeds, so the dogs slot in quite easily. At standstill only the driven half of the gearbox is spinning, so the dogs won't slot in as easily ( lots of bikes clunk going into first gear from neutral).

With the engine off & bike stationary nothing is spinning so there's about a 60/40 chance of the dogs and dog-holes lining up at any moment, so turning the back wheel a little helps line everything up.

So, yes, your bike seems pretty normal based on you description 👍

That's the simplest description I can thing of without pictures/video. Theirs plenty of stuff on YouTube that explains it better and in as much detail as you want - The Workshop is one channel that I've used for odd bits of tech info.

So I have bought a project gs750 bobber bike that just needed the wiring in I'm a sparky by trade but no mechanic.

Wired it all all good but before I take it out I'm able to shift through gears with out the clutch when their is no key I. Ignotion? Is that right?

Also when I'm doing it I can't just straight shift I have to roll the bike to find it goes through the gears? I just wanna make sure Its correct before I take it out!

Thanks

Sounds absolutely normal to me .

Hi.

Putting it in simple terms, the way gears mesh together is via dogs (small cylindrical protrusions on the receiving gear) and dog-holes ( slots about 4 times the length of the dog on the driven gear), usually 2 of each person gear. When you change gear a selector fork pushed the gears together to make those dogs go into the dog-holes.

When riding all the gears are spinning on their shafts - allbeit at different speeds, so the dogs slot in quite easily. At standstill only the driven half of the gearbox is spinning, so the dogs won't slot in as easily ( lots of bikes clunk going into first gear from neutral).

With the engine off & bike stationary nothing is spinning so there's about a 60/40 chance of the dogs and dog-holes lining up at any moment, so turning the back wheel a little helps line everything up.

That's the simplest description I can thing of without pictures/video. Theirs plenty of stuff on YouTube that explains it better and in as much detail as you want - The Workshop is one channel that I've used for odd bits of tech info.

Unless it's a Kawasaki . ( Well not all Kawasaki's ) They will not shift from first to second while static . They are designed that way to make it much easier to find neutral .

Guest Richzx6r

Hi.

Unless it's a Kawasaki . ( Well not all Kawasaki's ) They will not shift from first to second while static . They are designed that way to make it much easier to find neutral .

Mine does....its a bugger sometimes to find neutral :scratch:

Hi.

Mine does....its a bugger sometimes to find neutral :scratch:

I can't speak for more modern Kawasaki's but many older ones including the ER5 have a simple device consisting of 3 ball bearings that sit in a groove on the gear shaft and prevent movement into second gear . As soon as the shaft rotates the balls come out of the groove due to centrifugal force and you can change gear .