world gone mad!

manxie49

Gas for gas is going to be very short lived, not enough is made of tidal and it can be relied upon, the iter reactor would be nice if it ever produces more power than its used to start and maintain the plasma, and even thats years away from completion, so fusion still appears to be ways off.

giant solar fields in the deserts or thermal towers should be looked into, we have enough deserts to power the world with spare left over, deserts combined receive vast amounts of energy from the sun, way over what we use currently produce, if only tesla had got his electricity transmission towers working :D

Basically it's all inefficient now because it's all technology in it's infancy. With the proper backing for research, yes financial, it will come on leaps and bounds.

However, as is being seen so heavily in America at the mo, the companies who run current fuel technologies are lobbying REALLY hard to stop this; as they know it's the end of their industry.

For whatever you think of the guy, Elon Musk has started up some really interesting companies beyond Tesla and SpaceX which are making Huge leaps already in solar and battery technology.

Also there's loads of ways in which current houses could be made far more energy friendly (even energy neutral or :shock: contributing to the grid) but this again takes investment from either home owners or the government.

Much like Brexit, looks like it will be a massive economic hit in the short term, with the hope of something good out the other end. Only this is whether our only planet stays survivable for humans...

If the Will of the people can take the economic hit to get Sovereignty back, they can to do their bit for the climate.

After that, Nuclear (Thorium reactors are hopeful as they melt down safely in the event all else fails, and are capable of burning off nuclear waste).

Not if zey use ze cobalt thorium g...

IMG_1686.thumb.JPG.c4468da8ebfeebf0b2ecda71d1b04bec.JPG

It's the Lizard people I tell you. Theyr'e already amongst us in large numbers now. They're putting hallucinogenic chemicals in the worlds water systems and contaminating our food with paranoia inducing drugs so we will all end up topping ourselves and then...…………………….they take over the planet.

Come on, tell me this isn't one of them AVtvk4h.png

Few Stella's ...

yWUjLx0.jpg

Crikey six! how many gallons can you down??

The problem with deserts is they also get bloody big sandstorms which can be like getting sand blasted. Solar panels don't react to well to being sand blasted or buried under moving mountains of sand. Whether there's some technology that could prevent this I don't know.

The problem with deserts is they also get bloody big sandstorms which can be like getting sand blasted. Solar panels don't react to well to being sand blasted or buried under moving mountains of sand. Whether there's some technology that could prevent this I don't know.

Not if you cover them all with plastic and that solves the ocean problem. :D

Gas for gas is going to be very short lived

This was my comment, but it's not set to go into decline for another 15 years at current rate.

And fortunately, my company heavily dabbles in solar/wind/battery storage.

Also, gas sounds bad sure, but in the open atmosphere methane is roughly 30 times worse as a greenhouse gas than the CO2 burning it creates. There will likely be a place for using it for some time to come yet due to it being the lesser of two evils. Especially whilst we need oil which inevitably digs up vast quantities of it.

I'm told by a friend of mine that tidal might not be the answer. She's a environmental impact assessor, and essentially the effects of tidal energy on the environment are poorly understood. Hydro electric isn't pursued anymore in part due to the damaging effects limiting water downstream has on local eco-systems. It's feared tidal could be as damaging, plus you need a 7 metre tide.

Solar works on a smaller scale. When it gets bigger solar thermal becomes a better option. Not much good in England though :lol:

Wind turbines are coming along. Bearing technology is improving to make them last longer and longer.

I'm not oppose to protecting the environment and we should all do our bit, I really get annoyed though at some of the Hypocrisy, as an example, someone I work with and live near, I don't know him that well but I know he went to one of the demonstrations in London for saving the planet. Him and his wife live in a detached house heated by gas central heating, they have two cars and an old diesel motorhome, they also have a coal fire that you see belching smoke out in the winter and regularly have garden fires burning rubbish, when we get hot spells, I drive past and see their sprinkler pumping away in the front garden, how can people profess to be true greenies, blockade roads and hold traffic up, which I would argue causes more pollution, but all they do it talk the talk and don't follow through themselves with positive actions a lot of them are just full of talk and BS

Tidal should be purpose built and not impact existing estuaries etc, I think oil fired boilers should be banned now.

How do those of us with no gas and insufficient electricity infrastructure run our homes then?

Oil is the only option and it's not so bad if you have a high efficiency one (as I do).

Tbh they should be stinging the cruise liners and oil tankers for the amount of shite they churn out.....

This is it .... sting cruise liners etc by charging thier customers more for a holiday , as long as you pay the extra pollute as much as you like . If you believe the human race will end in how ever many years cause of climate changed caused by us in our cars or boats etc then just ban all vehicles , simple end of .

it's all propaganda and brain washing .

The Medieval warm period ... it was warmer than it is now for about 2 to 300 years , no man made pollution ( unless they had turbo charged horse and carts ) .

Tbh they should be stinging the cruise liners and oil tankers for the amount of shite they churn out.....

Bullsh*t. Oil tankers and the clue is in the name carry oil around the world from where it's found to where it's used. How far would your motorbike go without petrol? Where do you think it comes from? In terms of shite we churn out in terms of tonnes carried per mile it's very low. Also under international law by the end of this year all ship's will have to be fitted with exhaust gas scrubbers or burn fuel with less than 0.1 percent sulphur. These scrubbers cost over a million dollars a pop so require significant investment from owners.

Guest Richzx6r

Bullsh*t. Oil tankers and the clue is in the name carry oil around the world from where it's found to where it's used. How far would your motorbike go without petrol? Where do you think it comes from? In terms of shite we churn out in terms of tonnes carried per mile it's very low. Also under international law by the end of this year all ship's will have to be fitted with exhaust gas scrubbers or burn fuel with less than 0.1 percent sulphur. These scrubbers cost over a million dollars a pop so require significant investment from owners.

Have you seen the amount of shite they chuck out when over 12 miles from land, they are measured in gallons per mile using fossil fuel so make them run on electricity would be better than using car drivers as a scapegoat because everyone else cant be bothered to clean up their acts first

This is what I mean by Hypocrisy, "do as I say but not as I do

"https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/04/18/the-extinction-rebellion-leaders-jet-setter-robin-boardman-a-buddhist-teacher-and-a-yoga-instructor/

Have you seen the amount of shite they chuck out when over 12 miles from land, they are measured in gallons per mile using fossil fuel so make them run on electricity would be better than using car drivers as a scapegoat because everyone else cant be bothered to clean up their acts first

This one is going to be fun [mention]S-Westerly[/mention] seems to work on tankers by his profile picture :P

Carrying cargo by sea/ water is one of the most efficient for most cargo's. They can produce some rubbish out of the Funnels though I believe a fair % of the pollution in Southampton comes from the cruise ships. Yet when they built the berths they did not install shore power connections that ships required in the states years ago.

When on passage these ships burn around 150-200+ cub's a day (thats 150,000 to 200,000 litres a day). or enough fuel to drive your average car around 1.5-2 Million miles...

Personally one energy source that's not been mentioned is wave energy, or wave and wind energy combined. Problem with tidal energy is marine growth will quickly reduce the efficiency of blades etc...

Just some thoughts...

First off we don't discharge anything when more than 12 miles offshore mainly because if we do I personally get fined a huge amount of money and get sent to jail. Secondly just how would you propel 158000 tonnes with electric power? As it is the total daily fuel consumption for my ship is less than 40 tonnes per day. This is considered to be very low. The fuel I'm burning has a sulphur content of 3 per cent. In August we are getting an exhaust gas scrubber fitted which will prevent any crap getting into the atmosphere. From January 2st 2020 we will be using fuel which will be 0.1 percent. We dump no garbage into the sea except for food waste. In an average year we carry around a million tonnes of crude oil over about 60,000 miles. We are one of hundreds.

What about dolphin power or blue whale

You'd have to burn a lot of dolphins to power a big ship though. A blue whale would probably have greater calorific value than the equivalent weight of dolphins.

Ships with prisoners chained to their oars, just one prison officer sat at the top banging his drum, good for the environment and help solve overcrowding in prisons, we could also reduce the amount of prison officers required saving money .... Thats it!!!! I'm running for PM :lol: