Slipping the clutch

Rkel1988

Hey people. New to road riding, rode bikes in the past motocross but just recently passed my cbt and purchased a mutt mongrel 125 to learn on. Now the problem is when filtering in traffic and slipping the clutch i hear a slight grinding noise coming from the engine is this normal? The bike has only done 3000 miles. any input would be appreciated. Im basically wondering does it need to be looked at sharpish?

Guest Richzx6r

I'd suggest a small amount of the slack at the lever and at the bottom end at the clutch arm to rule out the cable being too tight, apart from that is the oil the correct stuff for the bike if not it may have ruined the plates and you will be requiring a new clutch pack

New to road riding and just passed your CBT and you're filtering in traffic . Well be careful then . Why are you deliberately slipping the clutch ? Can't you just trundle along in first gear ?

Surely if you rode motocross you’d be concerned if the bike had the same oil within a month never mind over a year. Won’t hurt to drop it out and put some fresh in, also should of been changed after the run in period usually around 600 miles so if it hasn’t got a stamp I’d definitely be changing the oil.

Im not sure about the oil. It was only registered in 2018 so i cant imagine the oil to be wrong already?! Surely its still the same oil that came out the factory?

Definitely change it then ! Actually they probably don't put the oil in the engine in the factory . I would expect that the vendor did that so who knows what they put in it . As mentioned , it ought to have been changed once already after the run in period. 3000 miles in a 125 is definitely time to change the oil . And the filter if it even has one .

Edited by fastbob

Surely if you rode motocross you’d be concerned if the bike had the same oil within a month never mind over a year. Won’t hurt to drop it out and put some fresh in, also should of been changed after the run in period usually around 600 miles so if it hasn’t got a stamp I’d definitely be changing the oil.

It does have all its service stamps up to date but yeah wouldn't hurt to drop it out and make sure its got the right stuff i suppose!

I change the oil and filter ASAP on all second hand bikes as a matter of principle. I learned that one the hard and expensive way on a GSX 250 that the owner swore had just had an oil change. Not judging by the evil smelling black piss that came out of it . Never again .

I got caught out big time once, when I bought a Kawasaki Z200 from a little dealer.

bike sounded as sweet as a nut, so after a test ride I bought it.

After riding it home and making it all legal to ride, (bike came with some tax and about two months MOT), so I just bunged 3rd party F=F on it and took it for a run to see my Brother. travelling on the A43 the bike suddenly started to slow down, as if running out of fuel, then died altogether. I had a full tank, spark, etc but bike would not run, so pushed bike to a exit, up over the carriageway and back down the other side to push back home. Got about 1/2 a mile when a van man pulled up and offered to help, (Nice one mate), so bike in back and he took me all the way to my house.

got bike in back garden, and rang seller to complain, only to get the response "its nowt to do with me, I'm selling it on behalf of someone else" but would not give me the details.

Began to strip bike, and oil came out like treacle, not a good sign. got engine completely stripped including conrod of the crankshaft and found the problem.

The needle bearings were flat, and the oilway was completely blocked with crap, so conrod had got way too hot and seized.

I could not be arsed with sourcing replacement parts, and had no idea what other damage there was to the barrel or valves so I just gave the lot to a scrap yard, minus the magnesium wheels, because some scrote nicked them when strong winds took the fence down. That was annoying, as the wheels were worth more than the rest of the bike

I got caught out big time once, when I bought a Kawasaki Z200 from a little dealer.

After riding it home and making it all legal to ride, (bike came with some tax and about two months MOT), so I just bunged 3rd party F=F on it and took it for a run to see my Brother. travelling on the A43 the bike suddenly started to slow down, as if running out of fuel, then died altogether. I had a full tank, spark, etc but bike would not run, so pushed bike to a exit, up over the carriageway and back down the other side to push back home. Got about 1/2 a mile when a van man pulled up and offered to help, (Nice one mate), so bike in back and he took me all the way to my house.

got bike in back garden, and rang seller to complain, only to get the response "its nowt to do with me, I'm selling it on behalf of someone else" but would not give me the details.

Began to strip bike, and oil came out like treacle, not a good sign. got engine completely stripped including conrod of the crankshaft and found the problem.

The needle bearings were flat, and the oilway was completely blocked with crap, so conrod had got way too hot and seized.

I could not be arsed with sourcing replacement parts, and had no idea what other damage there was to the barrel or valves so I just gave the lot to a scrap yard, minus the magnesium wheels, because some scrote nicked them when strong winds took the fence down. That was annoying, as the wheels were worth more than the rest of the bike

Jesus! Thats illegal anyway you get 14 days return with any sale private or dealer by law! Update on the bike was riding in the rain yesterday and it cut out whilst idling st traffic lights. Not a good sign. Got it booked in with a main dealer under the warranty so hopefully any peblens will be free of charge 🤞🏻

When you say the oil was like treacle I bet the bast*rd knew exactly what was wrong with it and had stuck gear oil in it to muffle the rattles . We live and learn .