Parking in Edinburgh for weekend

mccarthy1983

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Edinburgh in August to see friends. Live in the south of UK, so three options. Fly, Train or ride. Obvioulsy want to ride. But does anyone have any experience of secure parking in Edinburgh.

Wahey! Something I can actually contribute to...

Most secure option would be Moto Stable, based in Abbeyhill, but I'm not sure how they work with memberships etc and not sure on cost for short term storage.

Easiest/Cheapest would be the NCP car park on Castle Terrace (https://www.google.com/maps/place/NCP+Car+Park+Edinburgh+Castle+Terrace/@55.9479858,-3.2034162,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x31e760fb76816581!8m2!3d55.9479858!4d-3.2034162)

Hopefully if I've copied this Streetview link properly you can see the upper level entrance. They are fine with bikers rolling up to the LHS of the barrier and parking there, totally free and if you have a long enough chain you'll be able to secure your bike to the fence.

Honestly though, the stories you hear of bike thefts in Edinburgh tend to be tourists who bring no security at all. If you have a disc lock/chain then you'll be safe parking up in any of the (free) motorcycle parking bays in town. So long as your ride is more secure than the one next to it I wouldn't worry. Although, that said, I would avoid parking in George Street for any length of time as that seems to be where the opportunistic thiefs operate.

Or, if you're not fussed on distance, I'm in South Queensferry, 10 miles outside the city centre, you'd be welcome to pitch up in my driveway/street for the duration. It's quite as you could hope for. In fact, while you're thinking about riding up....you have to head out here and visit the Biker's Cove (http://www.motorcycledirect.co.uk/motorcycle-direct-club/biker-friendly-directory/bikers-cove.php); obviously I'm biased as I'm local but it's the best (IMO) pit stop you can make in the lothian and borders area.

Feel free to PM me if you want any local knowledge, or someone to rideout with. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Most secure option would be Moto Stable, based in Abbeyhill, but I'm not sure how they work with memberships etc and not sure on cost for short term storage.

Easiest/Cheapest would be the NCP car park on Castle Terrace (https://www.google.com/maps/place/NCP+Car+Park+Edinburgh+Castle+Terrace/@55.9479858,-3.2034162,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x31e760fb76816581!8m2!3d55.9479858!4d-3.2034162)

Hopefully if I've copied this Streetview link properly you can see the upper level entrance. They are fine with bikers rolling up to the LHS of the barrier and parking there, totally free and if you have a long enough chain you'll be able to secure your bike to the fence.

Honestly though, the stories you hear of bike thefts in Edinburgh tend to be tourists who bring no security at all. If you have a disc lock/chain then you'll be safe parking up in any of the (free) motorcycle parking bays in town. So long as your ride is more secure than the one next to it I wouldn't worry. Although, that said, I would avoid parking in George Street for any length of time as that seems to be where the opportunistic thiefs operate.

Or, if you're not fussed on distance, I'm in South Queensferry, 10 miles outside the city centre, you'd be welcome to pitch up in my driveway/street for the duration. It's quite as you could hope for. In fact, while you're thinking about riding up....you have to head out here and visit the Biker's Cove (http://www.motorcycledirect.co.uk/motorcycle-direct-club/biker-friendly-directory/bikers-cove.php); obviously I'm biased as I'm local but it's the best (IMO) pit stop you can make in the lothian and borders area.

Feel free to PM me if you want any local knowledge, or someone to rideout with. :thumb:

Thank you so much for the offer. Is there a transport link from Queensferry to the city centre? Is Moto Stable stil open, I have tried emailing and calling and no reply, albeit its only been 24 hours, but not sure if it was my business I would keep potential business waiting.

Thank you so much for the offer. Is there a transport link from Queensferry to the city centre? Is Moto Stable stil open, I have tried emailing and calling and no reply, albeit its only been 24 hours, but not sure if it was my business I would keep potential business waiting.

There's the Lothian Buses 43 routehttps://lothiancountry.co.uk/43-x43/ or the train from Dalmeny station that can get you to the city centre in 20-50 minutes depending on traffic etc. Not sure if MotoStable are still up and running tbh, but the website is still live. Could be that they are fully booked up but you;d think they would still respond.