world gone mad!

manxie49

Ships with prisoners chained to their oars, just one prison officer sat at the top banging his drum, good for the environment and help solve overcrowding in prisons, we could also reduce the amount of prison officers required saving money .... Thats it!!!! I'm running for PM :lol:

That will tip the lefties over the edge, human rights violations, unfair working conditions, prison gaurds will sue for tinnitus, better off burning the dolphins

Yup. I know they're an endangered species, but still - I say f*ck 'em.

They can't even breathe under water, they have to keep coming up the whole f*cking time and spouting.

Yup. I know they're an endangered species, but still - I say f*ck 'em.

They can't even breathe under water, they have to keep coming up the whole f*cking time and spouting.

Can you mention one whale in the history of mankind that has had a record in the top ten? Can you? Can you mention one whale who's written the equivalent of Othello? Shakespeare? Health & Efficiency? They've produced nothing in the way of literature. All they've f*cking produced is a load of other whales and all they eat is f*cking plankton. And they call them intelligent!

Tbh they should be stinging the cruise liners and oil tankers for the amount of shite they churn out.....

Bullsh*t. Oil tankers and the clue is in the name carry oil around the world from where it's found to where it's used. How far would your motorbike go without petrol? Where do you think it comes from? In terms of shite we churn out in terms of tonnes carried per mile it's very low. Also under international law by the end of this year all ship's will have to be fitted with exhaust gas scrubbers or burn fuel with less than 0.1 percent sulphur. These scrubbers cost over a million dollars a pop so require significant investment from owners.

People talk shit because they believe what tv said, I am on ships since 1990 and in cruise industry’s since 2004 ships yes pollute but not as much as they present, we clean our exhaust gas and we burn low sulphur fuel, we have electrical connection to connect to shore side while in port so we don’t use our engines, ports are not prepared for it, just few has that possibility. So it is not up to the ships only but ports as well.

It is just campaign that recently started in US against big cruise companies, and reasons are completely different. Pollution is just excuse.

Guest Richzx6r

I wonder how many virgin's they sacrificed to the God's to get electrickery :lol: :cheers:

How many virgins are there in Cardiff? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well the newborn lambs will be virgins for a few days.......

• 2 weeks later...

Two arguments here, so which one do you believe???? Or is the global warming topic just another way to raise tax and gain political votes. If we look at the issue pragmatically I'd say a lot of information isn't actually being shared because it doesn't suit some peoples ideals to do so....

https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/is-global-warming-real.php

Global warming is nothing new, it has been happening for millions of years, and sometime in the future we will have another ice age, and the whole process will begin again, evolution has an uncanny way, of doing the unpredictable, i do believe the human race, as it is now, is doomed, but the evolution process, will change humans into something, more suited to the future world, so burn that petrol while you can, it won't be around forever :lol: :thumb:

First off we don't discharge anything when more than 12 miles offshore mainly because if we do I personally get fined a huge amount of money and get sent to jail. Secondly just how would you propel 158000 tonnes with electric power? As it is the total daily fuel consumption for my ship is less than 40 tonnes per day. This is considered to be very low. The fuel I'm burning has a sulphur content of 3 per cent. In August we are getting an exhaust gas scrubber fitted which will prevent any crap getting into the atmosphere. From January 2st 2020 we will be using fuel which will be 0.1 percent. We dump no garbage into the sea except for food waste. In an average year we carry around a million tonnes of crude oil over about 60,000 miles. We are one of hundreds.

Are ships that big conventionally diesel powered or diesel/electric?, not from the pollution aspect or anything just interested to know.

Also arnt some of the bigger aircraft carriers the US have nuclear powered?, that does seem a very good power source for something that huge but I’d guess completely banned on civilian ships for obvious reasons.

Most commercial ship's have diesel engines which use either diesel fuel as you would know it or HFO otherwise known as thick black sh1t.

Many newer cruise liners have diesel electric engines but they have different hull forms.

A few but increasing number of smaller ships are being fitted with LNG fuelled engines.

There has been exactly one nuclear powered cargo ship, called the Savannah. It was built in the 1960's and was a commercial failure as most countries banned it.

Well its been passed into law now .... by 2050 we'll all be vegans, driving battery power cars, not having holidays unless we walk or cycle and we'll all be dancing like Tw--s on London Bridge :crybaby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hTRG5VucM

Edited by manxie49

Can you imagine the fun if the pirates got hold of a nuclear powered ship.

I thought of this, but I also think of having a reactor scram button. And a remote system.

If you could scram the reactor in the event of a attack remotely, pirates would just be taking control of a dead ship.

I think it could work, they are confident enough to power aircraft carriers with them, which obviously are designed for war so will be at greater risk of sabotage/attack.

It wouldn't stop them blowing it up and causing environmental disaster, I'm sure nuclear will have an important future but until fusion or cold fission is sorted I doubt were going to see much in the way of civil use.

Other nuclear Powered Ships include:

MIlitary Submarines, Aircraft carries and more,

Russian Ice Breakers, Approx ?10 at least one being built presently.

4 cargo ships Otto Hahn, Mutsu, NS Savannah & Sevmorput (apparently still in service)

Apparently over 140 nuclear powered ships in total

There is also a small number (less than 10?) of ships designed to carry nuclear products and waste round the world.

Sorry I got interested I could recall there was more than 1 cargo ship... Then I had google frenzy, I guess after googling all that my name will be on a few lists now :shock:

Other ships do have diesel electric, a fair amount of the offshore industry is Diesel Electric, some cruise ships some mid sized ships tankers.

I did a class project on global warming in the early 90's. My research on global temperatures showed that the earth heats up and cools down all the time.

I even heard/read somewhere that Margaret Thatcher wanted to find a good reason to claim that Coal was the cause of global warming, So she could use

that as an excuse as to why all coal mines had to be shut and to stop relying on coal.

Now personally I think this Global Warming due to pollutants is all tosh, but I do agree in cutting down on the rubbish we pump into the air, purely because its nice

to be able to breath clean air.

But alas, there are far more polluting countries out there than our own

You are correct, I'd forgotten the other 3 mainly as they were all failures. Commercially there were 4 nuclear powered ships built. None of them was a commercial success due to a number of reasons not least cost. The one still working can hardly be classed as commercial as it's owned by a branch of the Russian government and being operated by their MOD in the Russian Arctic. She is also an ice class vessel. She cost US 265 million in 1988. A modern large tanker (310,000 tonnes) costs about 92 million today. All other nuclear powered ships are military so far as I know.

Currently in operation there are about 53,000 merchant ships in use and in 2017 they moved 10.7 Billion tonnes.

You'll find that most diesel electric powered ships don't have conventional propellers but instead use azipods and thrusters. As I said apart from cruise ships they are mainly found on small vessels like supply boats.