Filtering, or overtaking?

Throttled

Your both wrong ... This is the correct and safest way..

Whilst doing a wheelie though, right? Lifting the bars up means you can get through narrower gaps.

I know you're new to riding so I'll politely remind you:

Highway code rule 52.7 "Lifting the front wheel whilst accelerating, sometimes known as 'wheelies' is only acceptable if an attractive member of the opposite (or same, depending on your inclination) sex is on the other side of the road and you are looking to impress them."

Your both wrong ... This is the correct and safest way..

Whilst doing a wheelie though, right? Lifting the bars up means you can get through narrower gaps.

I know you're new to riding so I'll politely remind you:

Highway code rule 52.7 "Lifting the front wheel whilst accelerating, sometimes known as 'wheelies' is only acceptable if an attractive member of the opposite (or same, depending on your inclination) sex is on the other side of the road and you are looking to impress them."

Birds love a man who can get it up... The front wheel that is.

Birds love a man who can get it up... The front wheel that is.

Except when your Other Half (OH) is on the back, she is not impressed:

1) thinks you will drop her of the back,

2) thinks your doing it to impress said Attractive Member of Opposite Sex (AMOS),

3) thinks you are trying to get rid of her to pick up said AMOS,

Even without achieving any of the above, I find bruised ribs are a common occurrence. Plus getting it up after is not appreciated :shock: particularly when you tell your OH is gorgeous she, should just dresses the same as AMOS :P ....

Edited by onesea

I do not see where that shows clarity on what is filtering and how it differentiates from overtaking.

Because filtering is overtaking and overtaking is filtering, there is no differentiation, and therefore the clarity is that both are perfecty acceptable.

The only variable is the speeds and the volume of traffic, but it still remains an overtake.

In written legislation is there any difference between filtering and overtaking? I'm not aware of filtering being mentioned anywhere in the Road Traffic Act.

As per my reply above. It is not written into the road traffic act. It is no different to the fact that nowhere in the road traffic act does it say we must drive on the left. If driving on the right was illegal then so would filtering/overtaking.

Thanks for clarifying, that's what I thought, but I wasn't completely sure and I don't like posting misinformation, so unless I'm 99% sure of my facts I'll pose a question rather than make a statement.

• 2 years later...

Interesting.

Has anybody realised that it is not only about “being in the right”! Or not. But being alive or able to walk!

As an across the board road user, Fire service and list of advanced tests.

On a mororcycle you are vulnerable, ride aware, enjoy. Does being “in the right” help when you are in a wheelchair.

Interesting.

Has anybody realised that it is not only about “being in the right”! Or not. But being alive or able to walk!

As an across the board road user, Fire service and list of advanced tests.

On a mororcycle you are vulnerable, ride aware, enjoy. Does being “in the right” help when you are in a wheelchair.

I completely agree! I'll take being alive and able to walk every time.

When I first started off and got more confident on the road, I used to lane filter in the middle of 2 lanes going in the same direction, just to get to the front of the queue when vehicles are waiting at the lights. I've stopped doing that now as I've realised even with me being safe and passing them slowly, the unpredictability of other road users are outwith my control. Better to be SAFE than sorry!

Guest Richzx6r

Generally I like to have any cagers behind me with the thinking if they are behind me then they can't ruin my day by doing something unexpected apart from barrel in to the back of me, but I only overtake when I can use the bikes acceleration to overtake as opposed to having to use speed I already had to help complete the process the reason behind it is that if I can pull out from behind the vehicle I want to overtake and be in the oncoming lane for a split second then use some good acceleration to go past its alot safer than haring up behind a vehicle and either having to force the overtake due to there being just a little bit too small a gap to get in to or having to brake harshly to stop the manoeuvre

Generally I like to have any cagers behind me with the thinking if they are behind me then they can't ruin my day by doing something unexpected apart from barrel in to the back of me, but I only overtake when I can use the bikes acceleration to overtake as opposed to having to use speed I already had to help complete the process the reason behind it is that if I can pull out from behind the vehicle I want to overtake and be in the oncoming lane for a split second then use some good acceleration to go past its alot safer than haring up behind a vehicle and either having to force the overtake due to there being just a little bit too small a gap to get in to or having to brake harshly to stop the manoeuvre

There's also nothing wrong with haring up behind a vehicle, moving out and taking a look and if not sure about the overtake, pull back in and drop back and wait for the next opportunity.

Guest Richzx6r

There's also nothing wrong with haring up behind a vehicle, moving out and taking a look and if not sure about the overtake, pull back in and drop back and wait for the next opportunity.

While I'm inclined to agree with you, in most circumstances it is safer to use the bikes acceleration rather than previous speed to effect an overtake and it causes much less wear on components of the bike than having to brake hard if you decide at the last moment than an overtake isn't on

While I'm inclined to agree with you, in most circumstances it is safer to use the bikes acceleration rather than previous speed to effect an overtake and it causes much less wear on components of the bike than having to brake hard if you decide at the last moment than an overtake isn't on

You don't have to brake hard? :scratch:

depends how fast you are coming up behind someone :shock:

My instructor said never be behind a car unless its unavoidable and if stationary leave a gap so you can move if some numpty aint going to stop or they decide to go backwards instead of forwards.

filtering is one of the benefits of using a bike, i understand if people don't want to do it,

depends how fast you are coming up behind someone :shock:

My instructor said never be behind a car unless its unavoidable and if stationary leave a gap so you can move if some numpty aint going to stop or they decide to go backwards instead of forwards.

filtering is one of the benefits of using a bike, i understand if people don't want to do it,

I wasn't talking about filtering, I was talking about the overtake. If you have to do any hard braking you're doing it wrong. If you move up to a car and match their speed, moving out to assess the overtake and then moving back in if it's not safe then drop back for the next opportunity. That's been my method, and I'm still here to tell the story. :D If some people don't like filtering or overtaking, that's fine, I'm not advocating you have to do it.

I was filtering between slow/queuing traffic down Towcester high street on Sunday, a police car coming in the opposite direction moved over slightly to give me more room, I gave the driver an especially vigorous wave in thanks.

The twat in the BMW 4x4 who deliberately tried to close the gap got an equally vigorous but different wave.

I was filtering between slow/queuing traffic down Towcester high street on Sunday, a police car coming in the opposite direction moved over slightly to give me more room, I gave the driver an especially vigorous wave in thanks.

The twat in the BMW 4x4 who deliberately tried to close the gap got an equally vigorous but different wave.

Generally plod are really good with motorcyclists probably because they came from the motorcycle division before the car traffic division. Most of them are probably some of the best riders in the country. :asslick:

with zig zag u are allowed to filter but you are not allowed to pass the lead vehicle

"If it is waiting for a pedestrian to cross"

I believe is the full wording.

IE If they are stopped by Zebra Crossing but no pedestrians you can filter passed IF THERE IS NO PEDESTRIANS ON OR APPROACHING CROSSING