My Euro Trip 2019

Guest denislordm

Myself and 2 mates decided last year to do a Euro Trip.

Now its come and gone already.

This is how we did it…………….

Decided on Eurotunnel to cross channel – used it before, its so easy.

Used Booking.com for hotels then No payments required until the stay itself and Free cancellation if for any reason we needed to.

We each had a separate room – we all hate sharing – and costs varied between £44 and £70 pppn

Ensured we had Travel Ins. and All original docs. Logbook ,Vehicle Ins. MOT, Etc. - Passport and Cash

Sat 20th June loaded and ready to leave – booked on 11.20 Dep from Folkstone

arrived early and was offered an earlier departure for no extra payment. Superb.

40 mins later disembarked and was soon on the E40 heading towards Belgium, then 1st night at a Hotel in Venlo, Holland. 250 miles

Good food and great hosts – we had an 8a.m. brekkie and were underway by 9a.m.

Visited both Mohne and Eder Dams before arriving in Kelbra Germany for 2nd night stopover.

Monday a.m. leisurely start as only 100 miles to Colditz Castle and we had booked the 3p.m. english tour – 2 or 3 coffee stops later arrived in good time and stripped our leathers for lighter clothing, crucial as it was a hot day.

Fantastic guided tour with Max, a German speaking Polish man from Nottingham wonderful sense of humour and so knowledgeable.

Arrived Mon eve hotel by 6p.m. in Altenburg and had local dishes off the menu which were delicious.

Tuesday departed 9a.m. travelled to Sachsenring racetrack to get couple of pictures and found a track day in action and Free to enter pits and viewing areas so stayed to watch the action for a while.

Next stop Cheb in Czech Republic just to say we had done another country on this trip, coffee and cake were fantastic but did find the none touristy shops and businesses NOT wanting Euros but Czech Krone, and also would only speak Czech!!! Lesson learned!

Evening found us in Rothenburg and another nice hotel with good local food on offer.

Wed we travelled via Eppingen to Baden Baden in the Black Forest and picked up the (In)famous B500 road – we road this along with many other Brit riders and stopped at the Mummelsee Hotel and tourist hotspot for Black Forest Gateau and more coffee.

Refreshed we completed the other half of B500 to Oppenau then took the L402 across the mountain range which eventually led over the River Rhine to Colmar in France.

The road is far more challenging than the B500 with its narrow tight turns and sheer drops all too obvious.

Having booked an appartment in Colmar for 2 nights we intended riding the roads around the Vosges range on the thursday but weather intervened so we did some tourist sightseeing instead.

This too was most enjoyable with lots of local food and drink around.

Friday we were away early to make the 230 mile cross country trip to Libramont Belgium, and made unplanned stops to visit several of the historical places at Verdun.

Saturday we travelled via Boullion, Poupehan, Rochehaut, and Corbion using some brilliantly fantastic

roads just made for bike riding, very very enjoyable.

Last stop was a Hotel in Bethune which is about 90 miles or so from Eurotunnel France.

So this gave us a chance for one more pre-planned visit on Sunday.

Sunday away by 8.15 a.m. after breakfast to La Coupole near Wizernes in France – this was the underground factory producing V1 and V2 rockets for Nazis in WW11.

Now a very informative museum which takes at least 2 hours to do it justice.

Having completed our museum visit we headed for the Train and once again got a slightly earlier one than planned – 3 hours later we arrived home, tired, educated, well fed and very very happy.

I rode my 2014 CB500x and it never missed a beat – I adjusted the chain once in the 2104 miles we rode. I used lots of E10 fuel without a problem and having kept a record of each fill up finished with a fraction over 17 miles per litre or 77 miles per gallon.

This trip was some motorway/autobahn lots of D roads or A and B road equivalents to UK.

My pals road a Honda CBF1000 and BMW GS1200 but didn’t come close to the mpg I got.

In fact the CBF1000 consistently slurped fuel at an alarming rate when filled with E10

the BMW worked OK with E10 neither better or worse than usual.

I used 2 tool tubes slightly modified to fit on my front crash bars these contained tool kit – puncture repair stuff and spare bulbs with a few cable ties and tape thrown in for good measure.

I overpacked as usual with clothing as did my pals but it`s better than being short I`ve found.

I try and keep my topbox free to use as safe lockup for helmet when stopped so panniers contain drinks, snacks and waterproofs plus other odds and ends and my Oxford Drybag the clothing I require.

If you only do a European trip once just do it – I doubt you will regret it.

If using a SatNav simply put in avoidances like tolls and and anything else you want to avoid – never paid a penny on this trip for roads or crossings etc.

293488868_cbnexttoMohneDam3.JPG.9d115a03eeb32653c694c0fc2f779064.JPG

532232729_cbparkedupatColditz3.JPG.ee1b1038e0e4cba6be0eec7a915e5633.JPG

138120829_insidethesachsenring3.JPG.e57ce85ed3f2aafaafbbbcf528a6d5e4.JPG

604984292_cbonahotmistyGermanmorningride.thumb.JPG.4d429f40a7ff3373409e71b392d77e82.JPG